How to go about fitting as total newbie

tl:dr please give me a hint, how to systematically browse all modules (rigs, turrets, other) that can be installed on a given ship

I am not exactly a total newbie, given that I have a decent amount of hours in the game. However, a lot of the aspects of the game I only understand superficially. E.g. I played casually during 2 years and only specialized on drones.

Now I restarted with a fresh character and want to max out my frigate (a rifter), and sticking to the Minmatar I use projectile turrets.

Now my question: Is there a way to get a list of modules that can be, in principle, installed to my frigate?

Starting with the turrets, it gets already quite confusing. By browsing autocannons in the marketplace, I find a couple of options. Reading the wiki of eveuniversity, I understand that the weapon category is called “projectile turrets” and consists of “artillery” and “autocannons”. First doubt: Do all autocannons carry “autocannon” in their name so I can find them in the market?

Turns out, just getting a list of projectile turrets isn’t possible. Google doesn’t help, either. And this is after my decision to stick to the skill “small projectile turret”. I find other autcannon by clicking on the “variations”, but is that list complete?

Another confusing thing: the caliber. There is 125 mm, 150 mm, 200 mm (which I use now, the bigger the better, I assume), but the “220 mm Vulcan AutoCannon”, which does not exist in a vanilla version, suddenly uses 100 MW power grid (compared to 4 MW for the 200mm Autocannon I), so I conclude it’s not meant to be fit on frigates. Also, maybe related to that, jumping from 200mm to 220mm implies medium-sized ammo. OK, why not.

While writing, I found this list of projectile weapons: Projectile Weapon - EVE Online Reference
I assume it’s comprehensive.

I know that I can look up / ask for complete fitting guides for a given ship. But that’s a starting point at best. I want to see for every slot, all available options and then make a choise based on my skills, queued skills, budget, and taste. Is that possible?

1 Like

It boils down to what are you trying to accomplish. Different weapon systems do different things. Some may have better tracking but crap range. Others better range but no tracking

What are your targets or what is your plan? FW, small gang pvp? Pve, etc.

The fitting tool in game should show you all options

Ok sure, but I want to browse the available options systematically. Do I really have to pick the brains of experienced players to fit my ship? I want to read on the modules and what they do on my own, to make my own decision. And this is made difficult by the fact, that I don’t get a list of installable modules to browse through.

Under ship info there should be a mastery tab. Use that as your starting point.

What you can put on a ship is tied to ship attributes as far as size of mods, and your skills.

shows you that only small modules can be fit
 so when you click on small projectile turret, it will show you all the SPJ’s and you can further click on them to see the “used with” tab to see all the ammo for each one

from there, you can look at the info for each skill and further look at info for anything related to mastering the rifter
 at the top of the box under the “x” are two arrows pointing left and right
 those can be used to go back a window.

in game you also have a compare tool, you can compare up to 10 mods at a time to compare different weapons/mods

6 Likes

There’s a lot of questions implied.

Firstly, you’ve found the best reference source: Eve University’s fitting guide. From their fitting guide there are links to all the weapon and other modules and a lot of other good advice.

Fit for a purpose: what do you want to do with the ship? “Everything” isn’t an option I’m afraid.

Projectile weapons. Not really my area (I’m Amarrian), however, the bigger the calibre, the heavier the damage, the greater the range and the lower the tracking and rate of fire.
Tracking is important: big guns find hitting small, fast targets hard. Each turret type has a long range version slow firing (artillery/railguns/beams) and short range fast firing (autocannon/blasters/pulse) - long range weapons have a big slow punch, short range are fast woodpeckers.

Shields or Armour? Look at the bonuses the hull has and play to it’s strength - Minmatar ships are a mix of shield and armour things (only do one, mixing is suboptimal).

You can always replace modules as you learn what works and what doesn’t. Also, you can upgrade as your skills improve and your fitting skills around CPU and PG improve.

2 Likes

thanks!

Now I can find for any ship the relevant skills and make decisions where to go. The “required for” of e.g. the “Small Projectile Turret” skill gives me the list of modules that I was asking for.

Use PyFa, period.

You can easily swich out entire racks of modules for other variants, easily clone fittings to directly compare the results and even make damage graphs to visually compare range/application on selected targets, which often is much more important than raw numbers.

Ah
 and you can simulate all kinds of ‘effecs’ too, from environment to boosterdrugs, fleet boost or remote support. Use PyFa if you really want results, the ingame fitting tool is barely usable for checking quickly if you can use an actual fit (pg/cpu/skills) or link one for someone else conveniently.

2 Likes

A little ISK for a new player willing to ask questions and take advice.

1 Like

TL;DR: Yes, it is this button (Filter: Hull Restrictions), the rifter icon with a checkmark under the “search” bar:

Yes, it is a bit tedious to learn, but once you have the knowledge future fitting sessions are quicker to think about.

Here’s some rules of thumb (you may already know these), there are big exceptions to these rules of thumb:

• Weapon Sizes
    • Frigate & Destroyer: Small
    • Cruiser & Battlecruiser: Medium
    • Battleship: Large
    • Capital: X-Large
  • Propulsion Module Sizes
    • Frigate & Destroyer: 1MN & 5MN
    • Cruiser & Battlecruiser: 10MN & 50MN
    • Battleship: 100MN & 500MN
    • Capital: 10,000MN & 50,000MN
  • Armor Repper / Shield Booster Sizes
    • Frigate & Destroyer: Small
    • Cruiser & Battlecruiser: Medium
    • Battleship: Large
    • Capital: X-Large

You get the pattern.

I see your OP has some confusion around module variations, plus sizing of turrets, and the different systems. I typed up a bit with screenshots with the hope to provide a foundation that lets you navigate modules at your own pace without exhaustively going into nuances, so that you can discover details at your own pace.

I hope this provides a basic framework for “how to navigate gun turret tree” and reconcile it against “I have a ship hull and can fit too many things onto it”. You may already know a ton of this stuff; I only offer it to be complete and apologize if it is redundant.

With that in mind, the general turret hiearchy is this:

• General Weapon System
    • Specific Turret System
      • Turret Sizes
        • Module Variations

This is the important framework from which we will derive understanding. It can be thought of as a “table of contents”. I will start at the very bottom of that hierarchy and work our way up.

Module Variations

Let’s just pick a 200mm AutoCannon I, and see its variations.

There are generally:

• The T1 gun
    • 200mm AutoCannon I
  • “Meta” T1 variations
    • 200mm Light Carbine Repeating Cannon I
    • 200mm Light Gallium Machine Gun
    • 200mm Light Prototype Automatic Cannon
    • 200mm Light ‘Scout’ Autocannon I
  • T2 variations
    • 200mm AutoCannon II
  • T2 Polarized variant
    • Polarized 200mm AutoCannon
  • Faction & Storyline
    • 200mm Light ‘Jolt’ Autocannon I
    • Domination 200mm Autocannon
    • Republic Fleet 200mm Autocannon

As a rule of thumb people only fit “meta” T1 and T2 guns. The general thought behind them is simple:

• T1 guns are the “baseline” (aka least-good)
  • “Meta” T1 variants are better than T1 in some key dimensions without the hefty fitting & skillpoint requirements of T2
  • T2 are great performance for their price (if you have the skillpoints and fitting for it)
  • Faction & Storyline are too expensive for their price (faction turrets are considered “bling” and people will try to hunt you for them, no matter where you are).

You can use the “Compare” tool on this “Variations” tab to see this in action. Note that sorting by “Meta Level” gives a very rough sense of “least-to-greatest performance”:

So that’s how to explore the variations of a specific kind of gun. Now to go up one step of the hierarchy and see which guns are what size.

Turret Sizes

The quickest way to get an answer of “which guns and missile launchers are Small, Medium, Large” is via looking at the module tree browser of any guns to see the size:

This is how you can quickly tell which calibur is which size. That 125mm, 150mm, and 200mm are Small and 220m are Medium autocannons. This works for Hybrids and Energy Turrets as well.

Within a size category, you can use the trusty “Compare” tool with all the similar variations to compare how these matter. For example, here’s a comparison of “all T1 Small Autocannons”:

I leave the conclusions of this exercise for you to figure out.

The same exercise can be done across sizes. Let’s compare all similar variations in “the biggest T1 calibur of each Autocannon size”:

Specific Turret System

The Autocannon / Artillery Cannon split you observed is the usual way guns are split: Close Range and Long Range. We will get to “why does this matter” in a second.

Autocannons are Close Range and Artillery Cannons are Long Range. Hybrid and Energy turrets are also split between Close Range and Long Range. It does not mean all Close Range are equal, and not all Long Range are equal – e.g. Blasters and Autocannons have meaningful differences despite both being Close Range weapon systems.

So why does this matter? Well, if you are fitting a ship – let’s say a Rifter – the ship’s bonuses are very specific:

These are bonuses to Small Projectile Turret. Well, we know that there are Autocannons (Close Range) and Artillery (Long Range), and down one level of hierarchy there are Small sized Autocannons and Small sized Artillery. That means the Rifter can be fitted with Small Autocannons or Small Artillery and therefore those turrets get the bonus.

We could try to fit Medium Autocannons or Medium Artillery on it instead (if we have the fitting), but they will not receive the hull bonuses. You’re almost always flying a ship for its hull bonuses, so as a general rule of thumb you need a very good reason not to use them. So I don’t recommend sticking Medium-sized Autocannons/Artillery on a Rifter.

You can see the bonus in action. Put a 200mm AutoCannon I into a simulated Rifter, right-click & show-info on the gun, and hover over the green falloff attribute to see “Rifter” and “Minmatar Frigate” skill apply:

If you try the same with a Medium-size gun, the 220mm Vulcan AutoCannon I, you won’t see the hull bonuses:

Now, let’s go up the final step in the hierarchy.

General Weapon System

For the sake of simplicity, there are roughly four weapon systems to think about, grouped into two game mechanics.

• Gun Turret game mechanics
    • Energy Turrets
    • Projectile Turrets
    • Hybrid Turrets
  • Missile game mechanics
    • Missiles

Everything explained above works for Gun Turrets. The missiles are grouped into hierarchies differently and have a different relationship between turret-and-ammo than guns do. I’ll leave that for your own adventure (or for someone else to type up an explanation).

Each gun turret type has different fundamental characteristics whether it’s around capacitor usage, reload time, range, damage, etc. They really do feel very different. I’m not going to go deep there, though. Have fun learning these!

The major important thing I want to stress is going back to the Rifter’s hull bonus:

These are bonuses to Small Projectile Turret. You can still likely fit an Energy Turret or Hybrid Turret – and you know from our hierarchy buildup that there’s Small Blasters and Small Railguns and Small Pulse Lasers and Small Beam Lasers. That’s a lot! But! None of those will have bonuses from the ship hull.

You can verify this the same way we verified the size-differences. Slap a 200mm AutoCannon I into a simulated Rifter, right-click & show-info on the gun, and hover over the green falloff attribute to see “Rifter” and “Minmatar Frigate” skill apply:

If you try the same with a Small Blaster, the Light Neutron Blaster I, you won’t see the hull bonuses:

In conclusion, you can theoretically fit a lot of different modules and guns onto a hull. Small, Medium, Large, T1, Meta, T2, Energy, Projectile, Hybrid, Blasters, Railguns, Autocannons, Artillery, Pulses, Beams. And more. Hopefully, the hierarchy explored here:

• General Weapon System (Energy, Hybrid, Projectile)
    • Specific Turret System (Close Range, Long Range)
      • Turret Sizes (Small, Medium, Large)
        • Module Variations (T1, Meta, T2)

Helps provide a fundamental framework to help navigate and guide your further exploration of fitting ships and using their hull bonuses effectively.

Good luck out there.

Notes: The above wall of text ignores missiles, armor tanks, shield tanks, active tanks, passive tanks, other kinds of utility high slots, midslots for range control, and tons of other stuff.

5 Likes

That is a very good, concise write-up. Thanks a bunch!

I discovered the filter in the meantime. Quite useful. One can even right-click specific slots to apply a corresponding filter.

Besides the good hints and tips given above by other players, there are plenty of guides on the basic principles of ship fitting. These are some I particularly like, for their clarity.

No guide will ever take away the first problem and necessity of getting acquainted with all the different modules you can possibly put on a ship - and let their mechanisms interact if possible - to achieve a particular goal, but it’s a start to set you on the right path of how to approach the challenge.
Have fun.

3 Likes

The very very basics of fitting are explained in this excellent EvE Academy video.

2 Likes