How will pirates that hunt you down affect PVE?

Not sure what you consider “the right thing”. I returned to the game about 7-8 months ago, scrapped my indie, miner and mostly my hauler accts for skill injectors, pumped them into my null / low pilot which is still continuously training + my PVE pilot which is likewise.

My intent was to just keep my hauler at halfway, just enough to move my own crap around, then concentrate on the null stuff, and pve in HS while waiting for fleets or something cool to do in null.

That however has been shelved. I have been monitoring the recruitment channels, threads, visited various corp / allaince websites etc. for about 2 months now and frankly speaking, there is nothing but crap out there for me to join or the reqs are just still too high.

Been aproached by GSF recruiters 3 times now, but I don’t want to become a part of blue donut 2.0 or a goonpet 2.0, so thats kinda out (nothing personal to GSF, but I just dont want to contribute to those issues). Rest is either too disorganized, too small to have a chance to put up a decent fight etc.

On top of that, see the latest CO2 and what happened there. Is anyone here actually naive enough to think that all those players after all that went down stayed in the game and not left ?

Many of us, as part of playerbase are looking for battles, wars, etc. not the elimination thereof. Its why we are here, but tehre are non to be head, so we PVE and this is where this topic comes in.

PvE content is what keeps many people in game in situations as these, just kickback and chill. O and if you want to truly get more players out in Null Sec, then stop obstructing and eliminating content, make wars, not prevent them and people will come by themselves, don’t need to “push” anyone to go out there.

For the time being, I restate what I have stated already, good and accessible PvE content is good for the game and keeps players around instead of leaving. Lack of accessibility limits that retention. Eliminating this content will not magically funnel us back into null. Lack of new null players is no one elses fault except the alliances that are already there and their own stagnation.

4 Likes

The overly ideological kind it would seem.

CCP cant do that. That would kill trading and the hauling business.

EDIT: On the other hand … if everyone would have to create new hauling alts with clean standing, CCP would make a lot of money with skill injectors. After the bait and switch balancing cash grab last year, everything is possible.

CCP already fully neglects single players. When was the last time single players have gotten new content? Back in 2003 when missions were introduced?

1 Like

Being a long time devoted solo PvE’r I feel like I can drop my 2 cents.

HS PvE in EvE is not only mission running, its also exploration and mining fleets so shutting down a system won’t have that much of an impact on PvE as a whole. Mission running, maybe a little, but mission runners like miners, have other agent’s available and moving elsewhere for a while won’t be a drama.

As for the content itself - If it’s fun and soloable (or at least multiboxed) I think people will run it even if isk/hr isn’t that great. Myself I really like mining response fleets and find it a step in the right direction (almost pvp fits in pve), and even though, isk/hr is crap compared to other activities I still hunt them few times a week. I also see a lot of people do also.

Personally I look forward to any new pve content I can enjoy right after I log in regardless of it’s impact on other activities, and the more challenging it is the better. Unfortunatedly if it’s another type of “play with friends” BS activity - couldn’t care less. By the time people come to a decision and fleet forms up I’m already en route to bed …

The agency, 2017.

1 Like

Agreed. If they make PvE tedious and demanding, they also need to increase the rewards. The rewards of recent new PvE content (events, NPC mining fleets) have been abysmal.

2 Likes

Lol. CCP does everything it can to kill player piracy leaving the game with just random ganker RP groups like Code, and now they’re adding NPC pirates to harass carebears because high sec is so boring people are quitting.

2 Likes

You should read CCP Dragon’s posts. When they have tools to create content better, there is no way solo players won’t benefit from that.

No. They implement features that grow people into accepting that there will be others who want to ruin their day. they implement features teaching people how to protect themselves in groups. it’s a slow grind, step by step, feature by feature.

1 Like

This.

All HS PvE content gets run, sooner or later, no matter how crappy someone else may consider it.

There is always people who complete them.

2 Likes

CCP also, as Gohmr points out, removed or nerfed feature and feature that allowed players to interact in highsec, to the point there is not much going on there. We all know that population has dropped in the last few years, but almost all of that drop in activity has been in highsec.

Of course we can’t prove what happened and there is no simple, sole, cause, but it does seem plausible that if you build a sandbox game where the players are intended to provide the interesting content, and then proceed to spend years removing all the ways players can initiate interactions and actual game play with the other players in part of that sandbox, that it is going to become a ghost town and you might need to step in as a developer and provide NPCs to fill the role players used to.

I’d prefer players to fill this role, but better the NPCs provide some risk and challenge then there to be none at all in highsec. Ideally, these efforts will be the start of some new backdrops for player conflict and players will eventually be able to side with the NPCs and compete with each other that way over objectives, along the way learning how to defend themselves and interact with others to achieve their goals.

I don’t think though these NPC guys will be any serious threat to players even if they should be especially to those that farm them non-stop - consequences and all - but we’ll have to wait and see how they behave. As long as they don’t do anything players can do already, I don’t see any problem with making them more aggressive and take some initiative. I hope CCP keeps moving in that direction and uses them as at least a minor threat to motivate players to both cooperate with each other to defeat the NPCs, and compete with other players for the rewards of exploding them.

1 Like

OK I can accept that.

Citation needed, links… I’m going to need some proof for that statement, especially as from personal experience the reverse seems true, from a casual glance flying around any drop in activity (from a bit over two years ago & now) seems (on a per capita basis of the prior population) disproportionately in nul rather than high.

That is the monthly gate jump data from DOTLAN but the NPC killed data has a similar profile.

2 Likes

Oh come on, that’s not solo content, that’s I’ve fallen asleep with my head on my keyboard content.

1 Like

I think you miss the point.

CCP is actively working on getting players to be able to fight each other. Apparently the only way of dealing with this, is by growing players into being accustomed to having defense fleets and fighting in pseudoPvP scenarios. That is what CCP is implementing, and the outcome will be what you (and me) want.

Think about it. If we got what we wanted, it’d achieve nothing, because there simply is no one out there who actually fights antagonists. AntiGankers my butt, they’re not worth even being considered an attempt to a valid countermovement.

CCP nerfed highsec antagonism for good reasons and while i’m not happy with it, i understand why they did it. Now let them grow the game into a state where new generations of PvErs will actually fight back using the same tools we have!

We should definitely encourage and support all attempts of making PvE more like PvP, because in the end it’ll mean that our gameplay willnot only come back, we will also finally have actual opponents! You want to see the faction police gone? This is a step towards it! :smiley:

Fair enough, I am surprised though, because population looks down in nul to me (a lot) compared to how it “felt” two years ago.

EDIT:

Though I do wonder if the pilots in space & docked figures match that… or if they don’t & all those jumps are just one little sod bouncing back & forth across an empty map just because he can, cos there’s no one there to stop him :laughing:

No I didn’t. I get that and it is good initiative by CCP for all the reasons you say.

The purpose of my comment was that I think you missed Gohmr’s point which was that some of the need for this feature may be self-inflicted by CCP. Nerfing highsec play has not worked to stimulate game play there, and plausibly has contributed to making it the content-desert it is today.

But yes, there is no point playing the blame game or rehashing the past. What was done was done so all CCP can do is go forward. I like what I see so far and hope these features work as intended and not are just ignored by the players. I really hope CCP has the stones to stick to their vision and not just let players ignore anything that doesn’t give them maximum ISK/h,

You know whenever I hear that line (or anything similar) my little ears prick right up, being the raging cynic that I am my first thought is always something like “aha! so that’s the one who did it then!” :smile: it practically counts as an admission of guilt in my book :rofl:

i agree on this, though from today’s POV i see it as a necessity.

1 Like