HS Moon mining ore protection system. Will it be?

First, the cost to install and operate a refinery is pretty muniscule. About 1.25b to setup and 85m recurring cost. Considering this, it takes maybe 2 weeks to pay off initial install and a couple hours to pay for fuel. The argument that you are losing money to “randoms” is a bit of a stretch.

Second, if you are a large enough Corp to need a refinery, then you should be large enough to dominate it’s ore. After all, you are the one that cracks the moon chunks, your fleet should be up and ready to mine. “Randoms” have to actively hunt moon belts so you should always have a head start.

I am an active moon miner, and I never get upset with people “stealing my ore” and I certainly don’t feel bad about returning the favor when I see a flwet of afk orcas mining “thier” belt.

3 Likes

I’m not structure owner, so I don’t know the details, but there is a way to limit who can see your structure in the overview. A lot of “randoms” will go around in 0.5 systems to check the refineries they can find quickly. Only a very small % of those will actually check every moon for unseen refineries.

That might be a way to limit the number of visitors you get.

It’s easier to use your dscan and warp to planet clusters. Structures can’t hide from dscan.

2 Likes

No, there’s no way to hide your structure.

1 Like

See - people wrote that it is impossible to hide! Please tell us the way how to do it (if you know)!

Thanks for repost Fozzy (actually i read this theme in february). Such as another guys i dont agree with his idea. If you will read comments under Fozzys answer you will see that his idea falls under good critic. For example i will add one of them. May be because Fozzy and his friends understand wrong way of their idea about moon mining protect mechanic in HS, he cant find better counterargument then put smile.

Agree with you. But:

1. I dont think that all miners in EVE is such philanthropists like you are.
2. Coming from 1st - if you whant someone to farm with you as you wrote - no problem. You can give access to all pilots (such as docking in station) and there will be no problems. But someone may be dont whant to make this scenario (for example solo miners or small mining HS corps). They whant to save each isk. For them will be actually good if there will be some kind of protect system (suspect battle flag etc.) for they could defend their moon field from uncalling guests (if they will try to mine).
3. In common - tell me please why do you not agree with idea of making protect system and give each owner of athanors or tataras in 0.5 ss make own choice - get free access to moon belts or not. And take mechanic to defend ore if it will be needed? + read reposted answer to Fozzy about opportunitys of HS PvP. For me - very good idea.

they only BS with structures is you can’t tax compression.

you don’t want people mining the belt shoot them, it’s how you have to do it in every other area of space. You don’t like CONCORD mechanics? don’t set one up in HS

6 Likes

You can gank them, you can bump them, or you can not deserve the ore you want. What makes you think that you deserve it, when you fail to discourage people away from it? Ganking alts are so cheap, they are FREE. Get your collective, whiny rear ends together and teach them a lesson.

Show some spine, man, ya know?

5 Likes

They generally won’t know when your moon will pop. So if you mine it out fast… you’re good.

Also, have your corp create alpha accounts and train for gank catalysts. Someone warps into your belt… pull out the gank alt and kill them.

A timer is not a preventative measure, at best it’s a deterant. At worst, it is a method to bait miners into a one sided fight.

I have just one thing to say:

Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don’t care, I’m still free
You can’t take the sky from me.

Take me out to the black
Tell them I ain’t comin’ back
Burn the land and boil the sea

Leave the men where they lay
They’ll never see another day
Lost my soul, lost my dream

I feel the black reaching out
I hear its song without a doubt
I still hear and I still see
That you can’t take the sky from me.

Lost my love, lost my land
_Lost the last place I could stand _
There’s no place I can be
Since I’ve found Serenity

And you can’t take the sky from me.

And that’s all you have in Eve!

1 Like

I agree, why doesn’t anyone see this as a majorly broken thing.

I am a miner who will gladly exploit the hard work of a refinery owner. And if asked will kick back.

I am thinking of two feature requests to this;
a. being able to set permissions on the moon ore belt.
b. And being able to set taxes on it.

The consequences of setting permissions, a suspect timer.
The consequences of mining a tax on the ore mined. Else why have an ore ledger.

How can this work? I’m not CCP and neither are you.

Just ask and it will be done.

How I would do it.
Personally a tax mining ores can work like the market, you buy something you pay a tax.
So mine something and pay a tax.

Everyone who has flipped a can or looted a wreck knows about suspect timers. You loot “mine without permission”, then you get a suspect timer.

On closing.
If you continue to moon mine for free there will be less moon mining. The refineries will need to close. If you go to low or null to mine, you risk your ship and time. So why not pay a little to escape this.

That is all.

Ryan

Yes, please implement this. I’d send in a fleet of Rattlers and bastioned Golems with mining drones, get the suspect timer, and wait for a miner stupid enough to attack…

1 Like

That is a good point. But suspect timers always bring opportunity.

Maybe the miner is bait and is waiting for its prey.

Or perhaps the refinery will blap it before that.

Sounds like I get you vote. Moon ore suspect timers are in.

That could get quite entertaining. At which point I’d just send in a neutral Mach or two and bump their Orcas and freighters into the next dimension…

2 Likes

Do higs rigs affect mass, and could they be used to negate bumping?

Yes, they work fine to limit bumping, at least for ships that can fit rigs.

No need to change anything…

1. As the owner, you detonate the moon chunk so if your corp is big enough to own an Athanor, you might be big enough to have an apporpriate cast of miners ready to get the best of the chunk before others players join the party to steal the ore.

2. the corp mining ledger will tell you who get what and which quantity…. You can contact those miners and agree a tax with them. Like for exemple, they give you back 20% of what they mine and they keep 80%. If they Don’t agree or Don’t answer, next time, be ready with a gang party of catalyst to make them understand…

It’s your athanor, it’s your ore, I agree but it doesn’t mean people cannot try to steal it from you… It’s up to you to mine it fast or defend it….

5 Likes

There would be an insane amount of complaints when mining ore from an unauthorized source causes suspect state. It would drive tons of weak, useless miners either out of highsec, or out of the game.

Sounds like a good thing, making room for miners who are aren’t waste of space.