I am shocked at the merc profesion!

Yes, the “shares” is the pot for the SRP. But as you can see, this is around some billions of ISK. This is mainly used for supporting new players who start ganking and are not yet self sufficient.

Freighter ganking was bootstrapped with some of this money in the early days, but since then a lot has happened and Freighter gankers are all self sufficient, they kinda have to be as a single gank depending on the ships involved can go from a few hundred millions to billions, which would depleet the SRP within days.

So the people who say “ganking is too cheep” have no clue what they are talking about. They are usually just some people who are mad about gankers and are looking for a wrench to trow into the works.

It would require a fair amount of effort, but you could select one of the freighter gankers, tally up all the kills he makes over a month, make a total of the loot drops, substract the ship costs and you would have an idea of the profit/loss. (And as EVE players like to harangue about “opportunity costs” see how many hours of Rorqual mining it would take to compensate the loss, or reach the same profit.)

Additional research options:

• Check how many of those freighters 1> were carrying loads that could have easily been moved by a Deep Space Transport, or 2> were fitted with cargo expanders when bulkheads could have been fitted.
  • A randomly selected EVE MER https://www.eveonline.com/article/pbrbgr/monthly-economic-report-june-2018 has the total import and export of Jita at 50T ISK. Add up all freighter ganks around Jita including the well known choke points to see how much traffic gets intercepted.

Even as someone who isn’t actively playing the game, I can see from your website the sheer numbers that you sometimes throw at your victims. Even if each one of those ships was very cheap, the combined cost has to be pretty effing high. So I definitely wouldn’t say ganking is cheap.

You bring up a good point, and as a side note it’s impossible for me to remember everything I’ve read LOL.

I did in fact make the statement that no one is reshipping the guy who got ganked, however, I am aware enough of Eve to know that unless it was that guy’s very First Merchant ever, he probably has already made the cost of the ship back in profit. I don’t know that for certain, but it’s likely.

I have tried to make myself as neutral as possible on the ganking versus mining aspect. I even reinstalled Eve because I figured maybe giving ganking a try might be fun. I sadly don’t know nearly enough to get that plan off the ground. However, since they removed the loss of skill points, at no point in this game are you ever actually completely castrated for options. Even if it was your first mining ship, or your First Merchant, there are Avenues to get money accrued to buy a second one. And hopefully you learned something.

Time for change is coming but is the Merc proffesion up for it?

The changes set to come in December actually change nothing. The big groups involved with wars now are blanket dec’ing Nullsec groups. That’s not going to change.

3 Likes

What activity that is going to disapear is small wardec groups that goes specifically after small mission runner/miner corps in the hope that they won’t notice the wardec - happens all the time, but won’t anymore. Mostly.

1 Like

Yup you’re right. Ironically those are the groups that I think have the most personal impact on other players. The guys that actively hunt and are intently focused on a small number of decs.

I think it’s funny that all the vocal complaints are about blanket Wardec groups but very little changes for them here.

1 Like

End of an era of the small scale folks, CCP is protecting the isk train… First watchlist now the war mechanic itself… Let’s just say your risk adverse home now comes with a straight jacket and bubble wrap to keep you safe in your captains quarters

Something something adapt or die, something something delete the weak…

“Adapt or die” looks a little something like this…

Soon to have 15 more. @Tora_Bushido how are you coming along? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m now ganking full time. Just saying. Loving the alpha life, playing with friends. Real social. It’s great. New patch, new me.

1 Like

That comment was more directed at our friends that are crying that the sky is falling.

Prep for gankfleet

Cant fit my entire list here. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

17 hours… Better late than never.

There are mercs still around? Some things just don’t die…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.