I need tips for mining in low-sec

Greetings!

You deserve to be advised, because you want to mine in low. I like that, and you deserve help.

First things first, if you plan on multiboxing in low it is important that you already have some PvP experience multiboxing, otherwise you will just ■■■■ up and lose everything. Fighting and multiboxing takes a bit of experience, otherwise the hectic will ruin your day.

I strongly advise against this. Start with one ship, preferrably a cheap one, for a few days and then slowly, over days work yourselves upwards, otherwise you are just going to lose it all in one go, no matter what ship you will be losing.

You will need to be able to gtfo quickly, because fighting will - often enough - just get more people to jump onto you as soon as someone spotted you. Using battleship-esque mining ships like the Skiff does not help you when half the neighborhood learns about you being there, no matter your experience. : - )

Preparation is key.

I have made an illustration using the image of a Kipferl, which come quite close to how belts look. : - )

Use an alt in a speedy frigate to create GTFO bookmarks and starting points in and around the belt. You need these to get into operation quickly and to GTFO quickly. The further away the GTFO bookmarks are, the better it will be for you. 200km definitely is not going to cut it if you want to increase your chances of survival.

As shown in the image, you start at the starting points and slowly move through the belts. You need to be sure to know your mining laser range, to avoid setting the bookmarks in ways that makes it hard to actually reaching the roids.

That is it already when it comes to preparation in space. Now on to the fitting. The best choice you can make is fitting a higgs rig, which slows down your ship and makes it align a tad quicker. Having a slow ship is crucial, because it allows you to move through the belt at the minimum needed velocity to enter warp, while still being able to mine without leaving the belt too quickly.

Bonus points if you have several ships cruising along, webbing each other. If you can not web, armor rigs slow you down as well. The slower you are, the better it is. You can not outrun anyone anyway.

And that is basically it. You warp to your starting point, align to one of your GTFO bookmarks which move you through the belt and start locking some asteroids until they are depleted, or too far out of reach.

You need to play fully zoomed out to have your surroundings visible (do NOT rely on the overview, it lags a full second behind!) and as soon as you see someone entering the belt, you can fleet warp your whole crew out to the GTFO bookmark, and from there warp them to some safe spot or something.

I have cleaned whole belts with this, with several characters. As you can warp off instantly, the only way to be caught is by having others having probes ready in space (which you hopefully notice by observing d-scan), by you ■■■■■■■ up the fleet warp or by you not actually paying attention to the game.

And remember: You want REALLY slow ships, so you can constantly move at 75% of your max velocity, which allows you to warp your fleet off instantly. The higgs rig helps tremendously.

Good luck, Miner!

8 Likes