I see how it is CCP, your new way of Making $$$

Hi Radioactive, I read your comment with interest. Alas, by the end of the second sentence that interest had dipped to a point closely abutting zero.

Eve Online may not yet be dead, but it is difficult for me to regard the current game as a healthy example of a modern MMO. Anecdotal evidence from players points to the gradual depopulation of New Eden, and if those people who’ve run the numbers are to be relied upon, that view is supported by statistics. None of this indicates a player base ardently embracing the ‘awesome new content’ you mention.

Speaking personally, although I liked the game itself (its mechanics and possibilities), I don’t think I was ever persuaded to engage with any new content. I bought a couple SKINs, but was underwhelmed by their effect on my ships. Maybe I’m hard to please.

It’s rather obvious that the game has improved in some ways, over time. I don’t need to have played the Beta in order to appreciate that.

I’m pleased that you’re bowled over by the game’s content, Radioactive; pleased, but slightly bemused.

It’s called bait because you don’t have to take it. A wise man once said that separating fools from their money is “doing god’s work”. More power to CCP if they manage to boost their revenue stream. I’ll start worrying when they start restricting income and offering to restore it if you pay an additional fee. But extras?

No one is forcing you to buy the extras. If you can’t resist this temptation I have news for you - life is going to be pretty horrible for you. Expensive, shiny trinkets are everywhere - not just in EVE.

Prices look pretty much the same to me.

Chasing the FOTM has never been a good idea, and yet people keep insisting on doing it, and then they always get surprised and shocked when the meta changes and rather than taking responsibility for it themselves, they rage about how unfair it is. after all they just money on it, so obviously they are entitled to it being the best thing ever for eternity.

Hi, Sasha Nemtsov. It seems clear by your comment that you’ve not been around for very long, or you’ve simply forgotten most of what has happened. I’ve been playing this game on and off for 13 years, and I can recall too many moments to recount where huge changes were made to the game that changed how we played it.

Starting way back in 2004 (in my case), when we were forming Alliances unofficially, and CCP picked up on that and added the Alliance mechanics into the game itself. Support for sovereignty. Player owned structures. Official war declarations. An endless stream of new ship classes and mechanics to spice up combat. Capital ships and titans. Jump drives. Wormholes. Etc… - Just some random examples, off the top of my head, of changes that significantly changed the way the game was played. Many more exist.

It’s also worth noting that most of the changes worth mentioning revolve around improving PvP play. PvE in EVE is mostly just about grinding ISK/resources for new equipment to support more PvP, so improvements to those systems tend to be less interesting. - That may also explain why “new content” leaves some people unimpressed, as there is less to show if you’re not paying attention to the details. No new dungeons and “bosses” to defeat, no increased level cap.

It’s probably true that the average players online for the last couple of years have been dropping somewhat. There are many things that could attributed to that, so I’m far from panicking and declaring that the game is dying. There is a core player base that is loyal to the end, and they are not an insignificant number. The top of the iceberg (new players that come and go quickly, and only few remain) is generally the number that fluctuates the most, and seems to be somewhat down at the moment. This does not worry me.

1 Like

For some people, it is bait.

For Goons, it enables them to out-mine the rest of New Eden combined for a few months.

Congratulations! You just discovered the shell-game business model that is all the rage in online gaming!! World of Warcraft, League of Legends, Eve…

You buff a class, champion or ship (typically aiming for the least prevalent owned/used/played by the current player-base) and you get the majority of players aiming for that goal… being impatient millennials, they throw money at it instead of playing for it or earning it. For WoW, it’s more of a time consumption emphasis, requiring subscription time. For Eve and LoL it’s instant, just need a cc #.

Once in motion they then will look to another class/ship/champion to nerf, typically one that is over-saturated in current gameplay, causing even greater desire for players to shift to the newly buffed what-was-previously-crap class/ship/champion.

So on and so forth, rinse-and-repeat until the end of time.

So what. They were broken once, they can be broken again. Let them grow nice and fat again. We need someone to shoot at.

I love it when one person tells another exactly what they need and are entitled too…no, not arrogant and stupid at all. :roll_eyes:

Hi again, Radioactive, and thanks for your response - it helps when stuff is fleshed out a bit.

I started playing EVE in early 2013 (not this character), but had tried it prior to that, without finishing the trial. I uninstalled the game a few months ago.

Although nowhere near as long as your stint, mine was, I think, sufficiently long to have experienced a good deal of what CCP was able to offer. The truth is that unless new content directly affects your game in a positive way, it’s unlikely to be met with enthusiasm. No doubt your experiences have proved CCP’s unerring ability to provide ‘awesome new content’ for a section of the player base. I can’t argue with that.

It might help you to know that I spent almost all my time in Highsec, with only one episode in Null. I was there long enough to know that it was not my cup of tea. Given that (reportedly) anywhere between 70% and 80% of the player base lives in Highsec (not all of them Nullsec players mining on Alts, I’m guessing!), I can understand to some extent CCP’s reluctance to mess too much with the mechanics there. A summer of rage in Highsec could well herald the end of the game, Nullsec battles or not.

Thus, awesome new mechanics content (as opposed to time-limited fairy stories) haven’t been a major thing for years. The list of stuff which needs to be fixed is well-known.

I suppose I should mention Citadels. When the idea was first put forward publically, I think the impression given was something like player-housing in space; somewhere to call your own. Of course, this is EVE, so you’d have to defend it. Why would I bite? I wasn’t an industrialist or trader, and I actually had no need to establish any kind of base in Highsec. So, no Astrahus for me. I did use the markets when they appeared, but I’d have been quite happy to continue with my trips to Jita, Hek, and the others.

You didn’t ask, but I’m mulling over what it would take to bring me back to EVE. A root-and-branch revision of the Crimewatch system for starters; then Wardecs, then Corp mechanics, etc. Something about the UI has always bothered me, too. Not quite sure what though; it’s just inelegant.

Anyway, I’m actually pleased that you and your mates are enjoying yourselves; it’s an ill wind that blows nobody any good. May you be well, and prosper!

CCP has been doing that for ages already. There is nothing new about their FOTM changes, and they’re good as they are.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.