I want to try gate ganking

Hello,

A few months ago I tried my hand at some high-sec war decs with an alt character, but I got a bit bored of that and want to try something else.

I found a route that has quite a few T1 industrial ships flying through and wanted to shoot a few of them down, but I am new to the criminal mechanics. I was thinking of trying a Tornado to sit on the gate and wait for them to decloak/align, having scanned them in the system beforehand with my scanner alt.

My main questions are…

1: Should I be sitting on the gate itself, or is there a range I need to sit at to avoid being blapped by the gate guns?

2: My current Tornado fit has me sitting at the gate and needing to be within 27KM of target to hit it in optimal range. Would 9.3k Alpha be enough to 1 shot an indy?

3: My scanner alt has a hard time locking/scanning small ships before they warp off, are there any recommended fits/ships to aid with this? Currently in an Imicus.

4: Is there any other info I should generally know, or things I should be doing?

I appreciate any advice you can give me on this.

Edit
Well I gave it a go. Probably a bit overkill now that I look back on it, but already ISK positive so it was worth it. I’ll refine the fit and keep at it.

2 Likes

Hey, nice gank! Keep it up!

The Imicus has a really bad native scan reslution. What you want is either one of the attack frigates (Atron, Condor, Slasher, Executioner) or a logistic frigate (Navitas, Bantam, Burst, Inquisitor) further pumped up with Small Targeting System Subcontroller rigs.

Alternatively, you can swap the Imicus with a Heron. It sports 5 medium slots, so you can fit an additional sensor booster with a scan resolution script together with the standard scanning equipment: a passive targeter, a ship scanner, and a cargo scanner - and you’ll still have additional room for a prop mod.

1 Like

I can’t see any losses on your kb. Did the posted gank also had to do with war?

If the character isn’t API-verified on zkillboard, only the kills and losses that have been manually posted are displayed.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.