Ice Mining for Alphas

That’s why i tagged Teckos, but he seems to agree with you. That’s okay, i’m probably wrong.

Raises the question why CCP doesn’t want it, with a likely answer being that they want people to sub if they want to specialize like this?

@Teckos_Pech the threadripper situation isn’t actually an extreme. Where there iseasy irl money to make, people find a way to exploit it. And as far as iam aware, the cost initial cost wouldn’t be that high. Hardware is cheap, after all, and renting a dozen cheap virtual servers to abuse them as VPNs isn’t far off either. (Though i really don’t know how my friend got so many IPs, so that factor might not even count)

Anyhow, you’re right. I don’t know. I apologize. Let me tell you, having a building site next to your window, with them working day and night for three days in a row really strangles the nerves. Sorry if it was noticable that i was rather off in the last days.

1 Like

As I pointed out, since Ice Belts exist at almost a nigh constant, clockwork rate, in set systems, and produce a constant average in total per 24hr period of Ice, it wouldnt matter if Alphas could Ice mine alongside Omegas.

So yes, I agree that its left out, so as to incentivize subbing, although I wouldnt be surprised if CCP does allow Alphas to Ice mine at some fairly soon point in the future.

With the new Moon Mining systems, I think CCP would prefer that Alpha miners focus on those, rather than Ice mining (which is remarkably lucrative btw, seeing as the rate of Ice introduction in EVE is almost entirely constant per 24hr cycle).

Ice spawns are a truly unique mechanic in EVE.
I dont like it, as its very convenient for bots.
Ive also never understood why CODE and other gankers dont focus on Ice systems.
They have more guaranteed greedy/undertanked miners than you can point a Catalyst at, of all kinds of expensive fits there, on a completely predictable clockwork basis, almost always afk, full of valuable Ice.

Go fit scan the miners in Ice belts.
I promise you, you will be astounded how little tank they fit vs getting maximum yield with top tier extraction/cycle modules. They are so horny to strip the field before others do.

Then, for added fun, you can sell them back their expensive modules when they buy a new ship and absolutely predictably WILL return to the same Ice field, cos they are hardcoded and thats where the Ice is that their SP is fixed on farming.

Park your gank fleet in an Ice system, and every 2hrs you will be GUARANTEED more fat, afk, undertanked, lucrative mining whales full of ice, than you can possibly hope to destroy, or find anywhere else.

Its like an all-you-can-eat buffet served to you, right to your mouth, every 2hrs.

It should be a no-brainer.

I often wondered that too. I seen as many as 20 max fit hulks and Mack and orcas in one small field. If a true CODE fleet was to show up and drop a bubble. Big fish in a barrel. Just seems like a “hot drop” waiting to happen.

I havent ice mined in years, but I very much doubt the situation has changed.
They are so horny to suck the field dry as soon as possible, they dont care about tank and most are afk.

PS: No need for bubbles or a hotdrop in HS (nor are they possible). Either bump them till they pay up, or just flat out explode them. None of them have any tank and are, seriously, fitting the most expensive mining modules possible. As an added bonus if you pop the pod, you set them back billions in implants.

And all this, every 2hrs in every static HS field, almost to the minute.

We actually stage a lot around ice mining systems exactly because they are heavily populated and provide a lot of content. Most ice miners switched to Skiffs and Procs by now, but If such a system stays unchecked for a few weeks they start to get into the other varieties again.

There are systems where it is pretty easy to control the whole ice anom and where everyone is so scared they basically all dock up and you can keep an ice field up for as long as you are online. And there are systems where miners are a bit more invested and they actually deploy counter measures like ECM and logistics which may or may not work based on how good they are at the game.

A miner who acknowledges that Highsec is dangerous space and reacts to the thread with adaption and in-game counter measures is no longer a bot-aspirant but an EVE player. And that is the whole point of the New Order, to turn mindless bot-aspirants into EVE players.

2 Likes

Ergo, its CODE running mining fleets in HS Ice fields on alts, and hence the lack of ships exploding there every 2 hrs.

Got it.
Brilliant.
o7

The last thing I would do in this game is mining. I play EVE to have fun not as a second job

Didnt say it was “you” mining those HS Ice belts with a pronounced lack of miner explosions.

oh I already know how without any programs sooooooooo… there is that

@CCP could we get an official response to this on whether or not it was an oversight and alphas will be allowed to ice mine or if it’s just a tease?

I just tried to set me up a ice venture, ice miners only go on T2 ore frigs, just like the Strip miners are locked to barges.

Why have a skill that no one cane use?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.