Ignore Feature for Forums

Sadly the devs at Discord (whose software this forum is based on) have stated that they are philosophically opposed to blocking of any posts and, as such, have not included the block function in their software.

Good to know. I don’t agree with them and I’m disappointed that this forum is lacking this feature, but I guess that cannot be helped.

Because Ignorance isn’t Strength.

But you know what Strength is? Writing a rage post in a consistent manner, without massive amounts of spelling mistakes!

They should remove the ability to edit posts, more than they should add the ability to ignore any. We’d see a massive increase in badly written posts initially, followed by a massive drop in posts, followed by a massive surge of posts written by people who aren’t cognitively challenged or suffering from anger management issues.

:blush:

He’s bitter. Can’t blame him for it.

The amount of people he has come across, which do not actually care about any counter-points at all, or simply are unable to even actually understand them, is nothing but mind blowing. I can tell, I’ve been here for years myself!

It takes quite the effort to cheer up again. It takes even more effort getting at least a sliver of faith in humanity back again! The problem aren’t even dumb people. They’re okay.

The problem are dumb assholes who do not actually care about points and only about being right. For them it’s not about what is correct or not, for them it is about them being seen as someone who is correct, despite not actually being correct.

We’ve had way too many of these, and still have them. There is no quality control on these forums and the fact that everyone can join without any paywall or proper heavy moderation means that the amount of assholes is only ever increasing.

The OP is a perfect example for these kinds of assholes. He’s a virtue-signalling liar who does not give a single flying ■■■■ about anyone but himself and his batshit crazy hate for highsec PvP, likely because he got ganked once. Like, seriously, we had a LOT of these crazy people in the past, one of the more “famous” one being “Fabulous Rod”.

Don’t blame Salt. Really.
Blame CCP’s decision makers.

I don’t agree with you there. I (ab)use the ability to edit posts way more than I’d like to admit. Usually because I have something to add, or because after re-reading my post I see that something can be interpreted in multiple ways so I want to clarify whatever I wrote. All of that would become a mess if I had to add new posts for every addition.

When I make mistakes I’m not someone to hide whatever I said, I’m human and like any of us I can make mistakes, but unlike some I’m not afraid to admit a mistake when I am wrong. And I use the edit button to make sure people no longer need to respond to that post, because nobody is going to be helped when they all need to point out the same mistake.
Also, I doubt you will ever see me post stuff as result of any anger management issues.

I see a lot of benefits of the edit button, and see only downsides to removing that ability. So you don’t have my support.

Hey, I’m exactly the same and that’s the reason why I believe the edit button should just go. That way I’m forced to actually put effort into my posts before sending them to the forums and that’s a good thing.

You’re basically defending low-quality posts, you’re saying that it’s too challenging for you to make sure your post makes sense and has no mistakes and you’re helping people with anger management issues like Dracvlad (see: rapid typing) to hide the fact.

They just need to add downvotes back. And then they can display something… we’ll call it karma… next to their posts. All the serious discussion happens on reddit already anyways these days.

Hell, I can remember a few instances (I cannot remember specifically which) where CCP released the info on reddit before they even put the devblog post up about it.

And that I do not agree with. I’m not afraid to post an unpopular opinion and go against the crowd, but it would be a waste if such posts went unnoticed because of downvotes.

Downvotes create those bubbles where everything is a happy place where all people agree with eachother and other opinions are ignored. I don’t feel like it creates the right environment for a nice discussion when people can downvote another’s post instead of coming up with a counter argument.

Preaching to the choir. I would get downvoted regularly.

I’m not talking about hiding peoples posts based on their karma. I’m talking about a running total of how much this person gets up/downvoted, clearly marked next to every post they make.

What it would do is add a reputation. People will, to an extent, seek to protect their reputation. Even in a game where alts are commonplace.

So to keep a ‘good reputation’ I would be forced to make an alt if I want to post any opinion that goes against the crowd? No thanks, I like posting on my main.

Nobody’s forcing you to have a good reputation. It won’t change my shitposting one bit. At the end of the day, we post what we want to post. If you’re just a karmawhore then that’s on you. If you’re actually interested in posting your opinion, not on being a karmawhore, then it won’t matter.

Sure, but why would we need a system that rewards karmawhores in the first place?

Negative based systems are not good, especially on forums. A better option is an upvote that has some sort of flashy border or something a long those lines. Maybe the border around the picture of the toon. from a code perspective its really easy to do. using old perverts picture ill give some examples

.topic-avatar {
border: 1px solid #313131;
/* padding-top: 15px; */
margin-top: 15px;
width: 45px;
float: left;
z-index: 2;
border-radius: 50%;
box-shadow: 0px 1px 3px 2px rgb(0, 141, 241);

Capture

My ball is turning blue! :rofl:

We don’t. But it will inherently reduce the incentive to post a flagrantly trollish post such as the infamous ‘no.’ post.

The way I see it, Reddit’s the perfect example of what downvoting can and should be. It’s there, and it’s certainly not detrimental to the platform.

1 Like

Applying the CSS is only a small part of the implementation, and unfortunately then, CCP would start to end up back where they were with the old forum, needing to maintain customised code and persist it through releases and patches to the Discourse backend.

It’s not as straight forward as just a CSS style applied through devtools in the browser.

1 Like

Please reference the state of the select player controlled eve online subreddit for further information on why downvotes are not helpful

1 Like

Please rephrase? I’ve been saying downvotes are helpful, not unhelpful.

This is so horrible, no thanks. Also, if you the 0.01% of comments that aren’t ■■■■■■■■ a serious discussion, then you’ve never had a serious discussion. Downvotes are, in no way or form, helpful. They’re anti-social and give cheaters and groups a serious advantage.

Holy ■■■■, what’s wrong with you??

2 Likes

Trigger much? Someone must’ve been unpopular on reddit.