Implant UI

One thing I’ve noticed over the years is how many pods are killed with zero implants. 200+ million isk ships killed in run of the mill brawls with not even a rack of 2m isk skill implants. Just look at zkill, 2/3s to 3/4s of pods are empty. An empty pod should be like flying a ship with empty module slots unless you 100% expect to lose your pod.

The reason I think, is that the UI for implants is non existent and it’s such a chore to right-click to check which slot a given implant uses, make a note then try and plan out what implant fits where, that people just don’t bother.

The reason I think this is because I do it too. I have a pile of cheap implants in a hanger that I barely use and besides doctrine pods or pods for specific ships, most of the time I’m running an empty pod in casual scraps even though a set of implants would essentially cost a couple of extra modules.

What we need is a UI overhaul of implants. Maybe something similar to ship fitting, maybe something else. It needs to be much easier to see what implants fit where at a glance so people actually use them. It would also raise the isk floor for all those implants that are borderline worthless.

If you want to make a balance pass too that’d be grand.

3 Likes

I’m not against UI improvements for implants, but I don’t think you’re right about why they are not used.

I think people are just scared of losing ‘shiny pods’

2 Likes

Implant insurance!

2 Likes

If that were true, why do we consistently see empty pods piloting 200-500m isk ships?

You can fill a pod with basic implants for a couple of mil. A 50-100m isk pod is nothing to someone who can throw away 500m ships on a scrap, especially if even in nullsec the pod is getting out 75% of the time.

Like I said, I do it too. It’s a chore to right click hundreds of different implants to try and work out where they slot so I just don’t bother most of the time and I think there’s plenty of evidence to show a lot of people don’t either.

Look at the last hour of zkill (3-4am Eve time). 900m deluge, empty pod. 360m Vedmak, empty pod. 600m Porpoise, empty pod. 460m Astarte, empty pod. The rest of the ships below 300m, 4/5s are empty.

It’s a foundational mechanic of the game and it’s not being used by a large number of pilots and I’m pretty confident it’s because the UI for implants is terrible.