Improving The Foundation - Directx 9 Phase Out

I get the use of DX on Windows due to historical baggage in Eve, but deciding to use Metal for Mac native client is bewildering, why not look to use Vulkan and a long term goal of unifying the clients?

Fresh client, fresh start, ideal point to consider Vulkan.

Yes okay I’m wrong. You’re only the third person who’s jumped on my post… I better delete it or I’ll never hear the end of it.

DX11 was released in 2009, I think it’s quite well established.

PS: Fourth.

Edit: Flagged for being off-topic. But I’m not going to fight it.

Instead I’ll replace it with:

@Zoiie, @Terak_Romaller @Emira_Sultana @John_Frohike and everyone else

Happy thanksgiving everyone

4 Likes

I don’t care what platform you use as long as the dead wood platforms are pruned out. W7 is being buried. The sooner the better.

Glad to see DX9 buried. Wish they picked Vulkan for going forward though.

So DX9 is even more established, right?
Also, the DX9 version has always been more stable.
That being said, it doesn’t really affect me, I’m on DX13 already!

1 Like

No, it’s being buried by games companies. As established as a corpse.

As stable as rigor mortis

W7 will follow in its footsteps to the grave.

Using DX9 and W7 is a sign of digital necrophilism perhaps.

Agreed. DX9 was more stable, had less bugs, used less memory and GPU’s ran cooler. It had a good run, and worked well for what it was designed for.

CCP’is now moving on to newer versions, which is good. They are looking forward. I support their decision.

I both say ‘farewell’ to DX9 and at the same time “It did its job well and served part of the gaming community very well for a many years. Thank you DX9.”

1 Like

DX9 has been largely irrelevent the day DX11 came out in 2009, that’s why DX9 wasn’t updated since 2008. DX10 was skipped due to the Vista comedy. DX12 is mainstream and widespread used now (I already posted stats).

Sometimes people need to be told straight up, it’s over otherwise they will never move on. Imo it took way too long to come to this point, CCP said “in the near future” (or words to that effect) way back in 2016 this was coming, other games companies started pruning DX9 out years ago. They shouldn’t wait the same duration with W7, start the signalling now to move off W7 and onto W10. Other games companies and software companies/projects have already signalled it’s time to move off it.

Start sending smoke signals now, give people a timeline, we already have pretty much moved on and got indicated timelines but we need to hear it from CCP w.r.t. pre-W10 platform end of life plan.

Yes, thank you for pointing out how robust the code was and did not need more patches after 2008. Was a good version of DX. Now Eve is moving on to newer DX after enough time, which is fine.

The code was final pretty much since they started moving on major iterations of DirectX, not because it was “stable”, it was “frozen” and left to die as Microsoft focused on later iterations.

DX10 was a Vista exclusive, flopped and DX11 came out thereafter with W7.

Thank you, back at you… Ooops, Happy Thanksgiving to DX9 DX11 :wink:

2 Likes

inb4 someone makes an in-game character called “dx9-did nothing wrong” :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

https://evewho.com/character/95745649

https://evewho.com/character/94497337

https://evewho.com/character/562226359

https://evewho.com/character/2112436295

Obviously devil worshipers.

Does raising the minimum to DirectX 11 (feature level 11.0) mean that not only will DirectX 9 cards be kicked out, but also DirectX 10 which will currently run without a ticked DirectX 9 box?

If so, this will disable many more cards than just the 1% running DirectX 9 hardware.

Any insights into this?

DX11 GPU’s have been out since 2010 (DX11 was released in 2009). You’re gaming on 10+ year old hardware? NV GTX 400 series NVIDIA’s First DirectX 11 capable GPUs coming to market! | Windows Experience Blog AMD AMD shows off world's first DirectX 11 GPU | Engadget

Please tell me you’re joking.

Honesly, you expect people to take this seriously and wait up, stop moving on because somebody has a 10+ year old GPU for a game in the year 2021?

DX10 was a Vista exclusive, it failed. Really, DX11 came out with W7.

Nobody with their sane mind even runs a CPU from that age because of instruction sets missing that boost performance on secure operations such as AES-NI (also circa. 2009 release).

Just no, no, no. There’s not enough No’s in the world to say NO.

1 Like

So… unless I’m mistaken, all us Linux users, using the Linux launcher (Installing EVE on Linux - EVE University Wiki), are screwed?

Nope, Linux Proton/Wine can run DX11 in use D3D mode, and Vulkan.

Is there a guide for this?
I’ve used the linux launcher for yonks as it’s just been ‘easy’. I wanted to avoid messing with other things that CCP did not release themselves.

Why would we want bad performance, inefficient resource use and poor graphical quality?