Improving The Foundation - Directx 9 Phase Out

DirectX 10 was never really used widely. DX9 was so good for its time that it stuck around for a long time, MS fell into the trap of providing updates to it for too long, it would not run on XP which was mainstream for years after vista came out, then DX11 superseded it

Only because Vista was a disaster, W10 however, buried W7. DX12 is dominant now.

If Vista wasn’t the disaster it was, XP would have died long long earlier and DX9 with it.

Not really, no. anyone that says vista was a disaster either never used it or used it not far past RTM patch level, or did insane things like trying to use devices on it with windows 98 or 95 drivers and wondering why their peripherals weren’t reliable. It was a FAR better product at RTM than XP was, which was 100% totally unusable without major patching that came out in the first few months, and wasnt even a ‘good’ OS until service pack one came out a year later.

MS fell into the same trap they did with NT 4, where just because it was popular they supported old trash for a painfully long time, encouraging people to run garbage for years after it became total and utter garbage had excessive support not been provided for it. They seem to have finally learned their lesson about it in vista

The market decided, the market said it was a disaster.

Circa. 20% peak, that’s a disaster for a Windows release.

Vista has nothing to do with that, the excessive support for XP does.

Its not like this never happened before. While it was mostly only on the business side, It happened to windows 2000 professional (desktop version of 2000) due to excessive support on NT 4 workstation, in spite of 2000 being superior in every single way imaginable.

It happened to windows ME which got a double whammy of MS announcing ME would be the end of the road for the windows 95 kernel with no one spending hardly any resources to write software updates for it, and windows 98 being so good while also running well on old hardware.

It sort of happened to 8/8.1, but little different scenario with its divisive UI design and windows 7 just doing everything at least just ‘ok’ without long term support, in spite of 7 being an absolute unimaginable pile of buggy and slow garbage by about 2013-2014.

Windows 10 and 11 have been the first operating systems to even try to enforce reasonably current hardware to make sure your computer is actually safe, will see how it goes for win 11

It alternates between good and “not good”. XP, 7, 10, anything in between was a market flop. W10 will liinger around like W7 did for a good few years.

W10 killed W7 where W8/8.1 failed to do so. Vista failed to topple XP where W7 succeeded.

Windows 7 is awesome.

And soon to be history and already being dumped by games companies and open source projects.

Funny thing is that even the old macs cost relatively quite a lot, especially the higher-end stuff - all because of the Linux/Ubuntu

Somehow I missed the Notches commercials, thank you! :smiley:

Well, I am not really an expert but higher value always has a reason - quality, or rarity, or else. In Apple’s case, it’s quality AND relative rarity. But if you get a good old Apple laptop, you won’t be able to use it as an Apple laptop because the OS is long-time not supported and all software, including browsers, altogether with it. So when I decided to bring back from dead my old work laptop (for a different task), I searched internet for solutions. And the only one is - Linux (most often, Ubuntu). I got really impressive results from the quality Apple hardware with Linux running on it so I checked internet some more, and found out that the old high-end Apple laptops are really prized by Linux folks. So much, that you could actually buy a new PC laptop for the money. And I can see why such sets are so valued - because of the really high security level (if one is not a complete idiot, that is).
So, I think, there is much more to it than the Notch-Apple-Fanboys :smiley:

Ok so i have no trouble with the change, but are there any plans to maybe introduce a toned down version of missile trails? They’re pretty important gameplay wise but they really tank the performance on my laptop GPU in even smaller fights. After switching to DX9 recently i’m at a stable 60fps at all times, but as soon as a bit of smoke came up on DX11 i was losing 20 frames and the GPU heatsink became a cooker. Any idea if those can be downgraded in DX11 without turning them completely off?

Edit: also, yeah im running on low details already and i am aware this laptop isn’t a state of the art gaming rig. Would be nice though to maybe include another menu option to simplify those effects.

Добрый день, я считаю это ошибкой. У меня не поддерживает directx11 точнее на нем у меня фпс на нем 10 -12. Рынок диктует правила не спорю. Почему нельзя дать выбор, почему вы не можете сделать много платформ? может дело не в том что дтх, не том что все идет не так. Почему нельзя сделать проще дать выбор. Неужели это трудно? Сложно? Дайте версию тем кто не может, и вы удержите часть рынка.
Не можете? посмотрим как часть рынка уйдет, как вы потеряете прибыль, и никакие графики, плексы не спасут игру EVE. Дайте выбор игрокам, какую версию выбирать

1 Like

Без оскорблении. Ваша точка не для меня. Продолжите нарушите правила форума

DX11 is over 10 years old. DX12 is dominant in the gaming community. I showed charts and stats earlier in this thread.

Nobody wants nor needs DX9 for a game in the year 2021.

Ты не CCP, вопрос о мнении был задан компании. Я рад что ты считаешь по другому. Это твое личное мнение, и мы останемся на нем. НА этом все для тебя.

The market has spoken, CCP has made a decision. Technical debt and burden is being paid off.

They already signalled waaay back in 2016 it was going away. That’s way too long. It should have been removed much earlier.

We all knew for over 4 years it was being removed. There is no surprises here. Just faux outrage with no justification.

Оправдание будет в прибыли и утери игроков, а это минус прибыль, минус прибыль это минус доход

Ahh yes now the “they lose our business” excuses, more faux outrage, I read the same thing when Amazon removed free shipping for everything and set it to orders above some threshold. They continued to shop there.

Not sure what the problem is, even Linux on Wine and Proton can run it in DX11 mode on YEARS OLD GPU’s.

If you have a problem with your hardware or software on DX11, open a ticket.

В общем считаю, и прошу CCP дать три версии directx. так будет проще