Increase spawns of needlessly low-drop B & C-Type items

o/

There are a number of B-Type and C-Type modules that don’t provide reasonable alternatives to their A-Type counterparts due to exceedingly low spawn/drop rates - frequently as low as ~1/10th their A-Type counterparts, and sometimes even lower.

Because of their super low spawn rate, many of these items will trade upwards near their A and X-type counterparts, despite being strictly inferior. This frequently creates a big price jump from t2/faction modules to A-Type modules, with no valid in-between.

The majority are frigate-sized items, and it’s particularly painful not to have a reasonable intermediate price point for frigate mods - you either fit your frigate T2 or you have to jump up to paying hundreds of millions to fit out a shiny frigate, with no valid in-between option.

The average daily market volume gives us a glimpse of the drop rate of deadspace items. Take for example Centii A-Type Small Remote Armor Repairer, which has an average daily trade volume in Jita of 69 units (nice), and a current sell price of 25m. Centii C-Type Small Remote Armor Repairer has an average daily trade volume of only 4.73 units, and costs 19m.

Thus, the super low drop rate of C-Type small RR is preventing it from providing a valid in-between option for small RRs. You can either spend 4.5m for 3 T2 RRs, or you can jump all the way up to spending 75m for your set of A-Type RRs.

A healthy price point for C-Type small RRs might look like something like 5 mil per, so you can get a set for 15m, and B-Types might be ~10 mil per for 30m total. That way, there would be logical price point scaling like there is for items where the drop rate is more even.

This drop rate issue also means that even a modest-size alliance cannot use the affected B & C-Type modules on doctrine fits, as their demand would immediately buy out the entire market, and drive them up to ridiculous prices.

Multispec coatings are the main example of this: Coreli A-Type Multispectrum Coating has a daily average trade volume in Jita of ~157 units, but B-Type is only ~7 units, and C-Type is only ~9 units. The B & C-Types spawn so rarely that no reasonably sized alliance could put them on a doctrine fit regardless of price. There simply aren’t enough on the market!

Here’s a list of these super low drop rate B/C-Type items. I think it’s relatively exhaustive, but folks can feel free to reply with any additional problematic items they find.

Centii B & C-Type Multispectrum Coating
Coreli B & C-Type Multispectrum Coating
Corpii B & C-Type Multispectrum Coating

Coreli B & C-Type 1MN Afterburner
Gistii B & C-Type 1MN Afterburner

Coreli B & C-Type 5MN Microwarpdrive
Gistii B & C-Type 5MN Microwarpdrive

Gistii B & C-Type Small Shield Booster
Pithi B & C-Type Small Shield Booster

Centii B & C-Type Small Armor Repairer
Coreli B & C-Type Small Armor Repairer
Corpii B & C-Type Small Armor Repairer

Gistii B & C-Type Small Remote Shield Booster
Pithi B & C-Type Small Remote Shield Booster

Centii B & C-Type Small Remote Armor Repairer
Coreli B & C-Type Small Remote Armor Repairer

Corpii B & C-Type Small Energy Neutralizer
Corpii B & C-Type Small Energy Nosferatu

Corpum B-Type Medium Armor Repairer (C-Type looks ok)

Pithum B-Type Medium Shield Booster (C-Type looks great)

Corpum B-Type Medium Energy Neutralizer (C-Type looks ok)
Corpum B-Type Medium Energy Nosferatu (C-Type looks ok)

Corpus A, B, & C-Type Heavy Energy Neutralizer (vs X-Type)
Corpus A, B & C-Type Heavy Energy Nosferatu (vs X-Type)

Gist A, B & C-Type EM Shield Hardener (vs X-Type)
Pith A, B & C-Type EM Shield Hardener (vs X-Type)

(the other flavors of shield Hardeners too, but EM is obviously the most common by far)
[Shield amplifiers are OK]

Armor Hardeners are mostly OK despite relatively low drops, presumably because there are 3 races and 4 tiers of each.

Large Armor Reps and Large and X-Large shield boosters are arguable. Their drop rate of A, B, and C-Types tends to be about 1/2 that of the X-Types, compared to the 1/10 ratio that plagues most of the mods listed above.

As to how to fix this issue, I’ll leave that to CCP! Deadspace sites represent a very, very old gameplay feature that could use some serious rebalancing, but a more targeted adjustment of the most problematic mods above would certainly be much, much easier than some kind of sweeping overhaul.

P.S. I notice the Ideas & Discussion section of forums disappeared, so I wasn’t sure where to put this post. Feel free to move it!

1 Like

Im wondering if this could be a result of either market manipulation, which the only thing that would drive down costs is higher drop rates or capsuleer usages, or if its modules that go into abyssal module dice rolls for generation of abyssal mods?
Ive read on the forums about the abyssal dice roll to make abyssal mods and I would assume people would buy up cheaper mods to make good abyssal mods and therefore increase the price of the faction and DED mods themselves perhaps creating this issue.

More just a thought and Id want someone closer to the issue to chime in with more knowledge. Though Id say most would simply say its a free market and price points are what a market would bear.

This is referring to the actual drop rate of deadspace items themselves. The daily market volume is being used as a proxy of drop rate here. I’ll go back and add that clarification above. Thanks

“Real” demand varies significantly per item, but market volume is a good proxy for drop rate because there will always be enough demand from station traders to buy from the DED runners dumping their items to Jita.

Yes, true. Though the market action is either savvy traders screwing with the market price or possibly as I alluded to abyssal rollers creating more demand than usual for modules again driving the price up to where we see it.
In the end yeah only CCP can control drop rates and its a good question if they will listen to control prices or just let the market do what it does.

A big part of the problem at least for the frig type modules, is not all races have a DED 1/10 and 2/10 leaving those that don’t to have to get their C and B type modules from unrated escalations which have notoriously bad drop rates.

To make matters worse, DED 1/10 and 2/10 sites only spawn in 0.8 and higher security systems further reducing their frequency.

C and B type frig mods used to be quite cheap back in the days of static 1/10 and 2/10 DED sites which could be farmed for drops all day. Once in 2012, I stayed up for over 48 hours farming drops in the Serpentis 1/10. I really don’t know why, the mods weren’t worth that much then and it was extremely unhealthy.

2 Likes

@J_A_Aloysiusz You may find this thread interesting maybe.

Is it possible these are just sought after/in high-demand and never actually make it to market?

1 Like

Yes, I agree that this is at the crux of the issue. I remember when I was running DEDs (like 10 years ago), I would find like 5x as many 5-7/10s than the 1-2/10s. They do actually spawn occasionally in low sec, but it’s extremely rare, and for no reason at all.

I did not know about static 1-2/10s though. I’d bet their removal is what created this problem in the first place!

This should be a very easy fix for CCP though right? They can either increase the spawn rate of the 1-2s that drop the affected mods, or they can add the most problematic mods as secondary drops to more common sites. It should be a quick fix - it’s just flown under the radar for two decades because most of them are frigate-size modules.

1 Like

I saw that post and quite frankly couldn’t disagree more with it.

I’ve made about 600b in the market the past 3 years. The removal of botters made it easier for me to compete. :slight_smile:

I also don’t think it’s particularly relevant here. Like I’ve said, this is not an issue with the market; it’s an issue with the spawn rate of the sites that drop these b & c-type mods.

Spawn rate. Got it. Sorry I misunderstood your OP.

There’s a few of these confusions in the thread. Spawn rate is “supply” - it should still be visible in the trade history regardless of “demand” or what the end use of these items is.

If the item is being spawned, whoever gets the drop is most likely going to take it to market and sell it. Only way around this is if you assume people are hoarding them, trashing them, mutating them themselves, selling them primarily through contracts, or giving them away by other means.

A consistently low trading volume means few of the item are ever being placed on the market, which almost certainly means few of them are being found.

Edit: It can also be affected by how much of the applicable content is being run. If 10,000 accounts are running the kind of content that drops A-types, and only 1,000 accounts bother to run C-type content, then even if the ‘drop’ rates are the same, you’d expect to see only 10% as many C-types.

3 Likes

I’m just assuming they may be much sought after items and people are keeping them for their own/corps/alliance use.

2 Likes

bumped this over to Player Features & Ideas - EVE Online Forums

I assume this is specifically for those sites that spawn as signatures, not anomaly escalations.

I mention this, because I was screwing around with anomaly hunting seeing if I could get a 1/10 or 2/10 to spawn and got a 3/10 escalation from an anomaly in 0.9 sec and the 3/10 escalation spawned in a 0.8 system.

B and C-type frigate mods are only really used when there’s fitting issues with an A-Type.

supply is the bottleneck as there’s less people running those sites that give 1/10 and 2/10 escalations.

for cruiser mods, it’s almost the reverse. A-Types come from the 6/10. The Serpentis 6/10 is notoriously a PITA to run.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.