Incursions in shields or armor? and why armor always wins a contest

I’m really not sure that follows, or is a safe assumption. I’m not gonna be surprised if it’s armor, despite their being more lines of ships setup for armor already, but I would love to see it be a counter to the nest for shield.

I expect it to be a shield leshak more than a shield nestor tbh

hello kranny, this is Klorel with the toon i always use on the forums and to blow up fools with :smiley: how you likin these bewbz? :smiley: xD

i agree almost totally with you, why almost and not fully? because to me it would feel weird that the two ships that “are designed” to be armor tanked one of them even having resistance bonuses, to also have shield reps bonuses would be just odd…

to me it would make more sense that ccp could GITGUD and put these roles on brand new ships, for example, i kinda miss the drifter battleship to be used by capsuleers, they had double shield, so… there u have it… it just makes sense, imho

o/

1 Like

for high sec Vanguard incursion sites, given two elite contesting fleets, the Shield Fit fleet has routinely mopped the floor with the Armor Fit fleet. Mopped the floor.

Shield reps land instantly and Armor reps land at the end of cycle. This is very significant.
Armor damage does not self repair between sites.

Armor tank is on the low slots, reducing slots for improving GANK.

In a PVE situation where practiced fleets know what is coming, where it’s coming from, and the goal is smooth efficient teamwork with clockmaker like precision- it’s all about GANK, LOGI and SPEED. Gank everything, have enough logi to hold together, warp to next site repairing along the way, repeat repeat repeat.

The proof is in the contesting. For years The Valhalla Project (Vanguard Project) wiped the floor with all comers using shield. Against some really good fleets and really good pilots. It’s the fitting that made the final few percent.

That’s wierd, because with single slot tank, and single logi, armor should kick sand all over shield assuming all other things identical.

Most armor ships have plenty of low slots - benefits of 4th damage mods are minimal at best. By contrast armor fleet can bring leshaks for logi - which is logi with full dps. As a result you end up with full dps fleet with remote reps. And while armor reps land after the cycle there is only one real difference in practice - discipline. Armor fleets require more discipline. Things changed with battleship sized armor reps and more isk in pockets making use of them more accessible. And hell, leshak costs about the same as guardian.

Out of curiousity I just went and dscanned the fleets currently running in Ohide:

TDF - armour
TDF2* - armour
NGA - shield
WTM - shield

Before worrying about the balance of theory crafted optimal fleets, I think you need to consider that some of the fleets aren’t even flying the optimal comps in the first place:

• TDF, pretty much perfect armour fleet comp, although they’re training a nestor pilot so they have one extra on grid. You can see they’re using 3 cruiser logis as well for extra safety for a total of 7 (normally 6) logi on grid.

• TDF2 is basically off duty FCs and friends with a high number of alts. It’s not an optimal comp at all but requires less micro than ae ‘real’ comp whilst still having good income for just grinding through TPPHs. 6 or 7 pallys all with similar names…more nestors on grid than necessary (so a boxer can rep his own mini fleets in advance I guess?). Still a mostly consistent fleet comp though in spite of this.

• NGA, five domis and 2 rattlesnakes are essentially drone boats for people that can’t multibox properly or just want to multibox large numbers of toons because they can’t fill their fleet otherwise. Only 4 logi on grid when I scanned them, but could well have been whilst waiting for new ones to join…not enough either way. Otherwise a fairly decent comp but they’re missing DPS because of those drone boats.

• WTM, 4 hyps, maelstrom, DNI…ACtually pleasantly surprised to see they almost hit the 3 basi, 5 scimi optimal logi wing (checked earlier in the day and they had 6 basis…)

Literally just looking at hulls here, but you can extrapolate upwards that if a fleet hasn’t even got optimal hulls in there, how do you think the fits are going to look? How are the implants and SP levels of those pilots going to look?

I do think that armour has a very narrow lead in the meta (way narrower than OP suggests btw), but none of the shield fleets even try to compete properly right now.

2 Likes

Armor wins contests for 2 reasons:

Nestors provide better repping in fewer ships, meaning more dps.

All the current shield communities are badly run and have crappy leadership. It doesn’t matter how blinged your ships are if people don’t know what they’re doing.

False. Armor ships are still able to fit up to 3 damage mods, which with stacking penalties is more than enough.

If done right armour resist tank and be done with four mods on resistance with only 2 lots of first staking penalties. Or got only three and have one penalty.

One penalty for the armour resistance moduleand nano module.
And the other penalty for damage control and reactive armour hardner.

Or if slots limited go with dc or RAH and still get @72-82% resist with good skills.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.