Industrial core on the Orca

I’ll admit I haven’t tested but the bonuses on paper stack up to the same as before with the T2 core.

That said even if it is a 2.1% yield increase id still argue that is not compensating for fuel costs and overall its still a slight nerf to solo mining in the orca.

If i am solo mining in an orca these days (which is rare) i dont even bother turning the core on. It feels like a waste if i dont have boosts and compression running for at least 2 or 3 others in fleet. And honestly i think thats the way it should be. It was always a fleet ship but the difference boosts and compression make now with the T2 core in a fleet is something individual pilot feel.

You’re going to have to explain how for a “dumbass” like me. I don’t want a pre/post patch comparison. Just a game mechanic explanation using only the current patch.

A solo Orca is also a “gank me” magnet. I’m not sure where your fear of ganking is coming from that only an Orca somehow solves. Measures to avoid ganks are techniques that apply across ship types.

You giving this advice makes it clear why you’re begging CCP to give you your demands.

Due to residue being added, all the incompetent miners started crying even when it was explained to them many times that residue DOES NOT IMPACT YIELD.

I dont want to have to run the numbers by hand, but I will in a minute if you really need me to. When I tested my fit with the T2 core I was getting 303.2m3 per drone per minute, which is more than what I got pre-core.

And since the T2 core gives you a 75% increase in yield, I don’t trust that your math is accurate either.

I know several pilots that have lost Orcas to gankers lately. One of the key issues is that they did not notice the the old active tank bonus got moved to the core and they were not using one.

Your drones have a 40% chances to roll residue so at least one of the drones in every trip comes back with (I have checked this for hours):
“XXXm3 mined to your and an additional XXXm3 is taken from the rock and vanishes onto space.”

“XXXm3 is taken from the rock and vanishes onto space” is removed front he asteroid and lost. So that means each asteroid yields about 20% less ore in total.

An Orca is not the fastest ship in the fleet and the Large Industrial Core make the ship stop so you loose time re-positioning to new belts if you only mine a specific type of ore. Loosing any time means less ore per hour.

1 => I previously I could mine with 200% drone yield at no cost and no residue plodding along at 73m/s.

2 => Now I get 200% drone yield with about 20% less ore per asteroid (1 drone per cycle has residue) at 2mil ISK per hour at 0m/s as the Large Industrial Core make the ship stop just like the Bastion Module on the Golem.

1 = simple mining and solo friendly.
2 = complicated mining and less solo friendly.

At a cost of 2mil ISK / hour.

Lets explain residue like a night of drinking. Before residue, CCP gave you a bottle of your favorite booze and a shot glass. The bottle was small and easy to handle, so you never spilt a drop and got pretty drunk.

After residue, CCP gave you a much larger bottle. It is large and unruly so when you try to pour your shot, you occasionally spill some on the table. But in the end, each shot is the same volume of booze and even though you spill some, you still end up taking more shots and getting more drunk.

The bottle are the asteroids, the volume was doubled. The shot glass is your T2 laser, still bringing in the same volume. The booze on the table is your residue.

In your understanding, it would be more like every once in a while you pour a shot and then dump it on the floor for all your dead homies. Which is alcohol abuse.

EDIT: next time you are watching the mining log, compare it to the change in your ore hold.

The Orca was never a ship that made more isk than a barge/exhumer, and it still is not. The benefits of the Orca were large tank and large hold with acceptable yield. This is still the case whether you pay 2m is/hr in fuel or not.

Said it in the other thread. And saying it again here.

At the same time as residue was introduced all the rocks were DOUBLED IN SIZE.

100% increase in rock size. And a 40% (chance) of waste. There is no reduction in how much is available to mine. Even with super unlucky rng there is more ore out there for us to mine. Not less.

This doesn’t make sense because CCP doubled the amount of ore in each asteroid rock. The only way to get less ore per rock than before is to have a residue chance at or above 100% so that you lose more ore than your yield, which is the only way to completely never see the doubled ore.

By your own admission the chance is far below 100%, something like 40%, so you’re actually sitting by asteroid rocks longer than before since you’re netting more ore per rock than before.

This is why your “residue takes away from yield” makes no sense across patch comparisons: Your bullets numbered 1 & 2. You still haven’t explained how the mechanics of the current patch, the mechanic of residue somehow takes away from your yield. You still have to move asteroids just like before and residue is rock-to-dust independent of yield’s rock-to-hold. So I still have no idea how you’re thinking about it.

I was really disappointed with the new Large Industrial Core, to be honest. Granted, I’m not the high sec carebear that the Orca is apparently designed for, but I was hoping that the new core would give it some sort of niche outside of lazy high sec mining. The Porpoise has an awesome new niche as an affordable compression boat that can effectively operate in wormholes and Pochven, which finally makes it possible to bring those materials out of dangerous space. The Rorqual is now the most badass mining suitcase that can yeet a whole fleet of alts across the universe and mine out a 10b isk moon in mere hours. The Orca is… basically just a little worse at doing the most boring job in the universe.

I think it’s fine if they wanted to nerf AFK mining in high sec, but they need to make the Orca good at something. Right now it just exists to log it off inside a wormhole when you need 400,000 m3 of unscannable storage with an infinite lifespan, because actually using it to mine anywhere outside of high sec is suicide. Two billion isk for a ship that dies to a handful of faction cruisers. The only upside for the Orca is that it will be 10% cheaper if the industry blueprint changes go through as suggested in the dev blog.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.