Internet in New Eden

What is the name of New Eden’s analogue of Internet? In my blog I call it simply “The Net” but I wonder if there is an accepted term.

3 Likes

“The Net” is just fine if you want to keep using it, but I believe “GalNet” is the established term, used both by CCP and players.

6 Likes

Thank you, Teinyhr.

2 Likes

Where did it come from by the way, I assume it’s short for something?

1 Like

No idea tbh, I take it most just assume it means “Galactic Net” or “Galactic Internet”.

4 Likes

I always assumed it meant ‘Gallente Net’ and originated with the Federation. Galactic Net might be a better definition though.

5 Likes

I read somewhere that the internet that covers the entire cluster was developed by the Federation (or just by Gallente interests). Originally it was just for Fed systems, hence the name GalNet.

Where did I read that? Hek if I remember.

3 Likes

According to that old science article, a Gallentean scientist cracked FTL communication, so the fluid router network did originate from the Gallente, so its name being “Gallente Net” or similar does have merit. But as said, I don’t think the actual reason why it is called GalNet has ever been stated.

5 Likes

Seems likely. Quite an infrastructure requirement to get it all set up and running.

1 Like

This is probably what I read.

I’m not great at telling which articles are older or more recent, though.

1 Like

I belive Galnet is an abbrivation of the Intergalactic Summit, some are calling it The Summit as well…

1 Like

No, IGS/The Summit is just one forum/chat service. Galnet is the whole internet service.

3 Likes

For as long as I have been in EVE, the forum (IGS) has always been referred to as galnet :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, but so have other places on the supposed interwebs.

It’s just like today you could say someone said on Slack / Discord / the forums / on the internet, and not imply the place is the only Slack / Discord / forum and or the totality of internet.

1 Like

Found the description for what Galnet is. Bottom of this article.

6 Likes

Great find!

Shouldnt Caldari and Amarr have something like CalNet and AmarrNet then to avoid being spied and influenced by Gallante “Social Networks”?

Maybe, but it’s pretty much established in lore by now that everyone uses GalNet. I think it’s just, like the RL internet, the places that are more prone to censorship just impose much higher levels of regulations and may have their own networks walled off, but it’s still called GalNet and based on GalNet infrastructure. Who knows, though, maybe there are local words for it that we don’t know about.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.