Is Eve dying?

I came to Eve Online recently (less than a year) and I was totally taken by it. What I value most about MMOs is the freedom and ability to play the sandbox with other people. That’s why I fell in love with a game where the developers provide the tools to have fun, create a story, and create your own world. Also, the amazing depth and complexity of the mechanics, the amazing complex, deep and extremely realistic lore and the high threshold of the game just captivated me.
While I continue to consider Eve Online the best game for me for the reasons listed above, I have a lot of concern for it. Studying the history of the game after the fact, I found that the game has already passed its peak and is declining. A huge number of projects to expand the Eve universe with other games and directions, such as Legion or Nova, have failed (this is my great pain, the metagame idea was great). Eve Echoes turned out to be good, but niche and did not receive due popularity. Already, Eve Online is a very specific niche game due to the high entry threshold, it is also an old MMO, that is, the gameplay is very slow (just like WoW Classic, for example), and now fast-paced and casual games are in great demand on the market. Because of this, there are few new players, most players are adults 30-40 years old who started playing at a young age, but now they have less and less time and they leave the project. Very often I hear the phrase “I spent 10 years in Eve, but I don’t play anymore”. The game is steadily losing players.
The last few months online has dropped a lot, and the talk that Eve is dying has begun with renewed vigor. I have a strong hold on the project, but I am very worried that the game is getting closer to sunset. CCP has already been bought out by Pearl Abyss, there is no movement on the part of the developers towards something fundamentally new that can breathe new life into the game, they mainly fix the old one.
Tell me, is there any hope that Eve is waiting for a major update that will give new life to the game, or the release of a new game with the same principles from the same developers for new realities? And if, after all, death awaits the game, is there an alternative worthy in terms of scale and depth in the pvp sandbox section?
PS: I do not consider Albion a worthy alternative, it is very simplified

YES
but it takes a long time for a galaxy to die …
we probably wont be here to see

4 Likes

Eve Online, dying since 2003™

8 Likes

Thi time it mingh very well be on a downward path with no return.

3 Likes

Numbers now don’t always tell the whole story, many people take breaks but still sub like me.

Yes, EVE is always dying. It seems to be its natural state, like a zombie. Zombies are cool… and slow.

2 Likes

So 40% of the player base suddenly decided to take a break in the last year?

5 Likes

Who’s to know.

Source of that number?

1 Like

I have six characters subbed but have only logged onto three in the past month. Lots of people are like that. Lots of people are also split across timezones, playing other games, working ungodly amounts of overtime and regret not having a life, or are just outside doing stuff. When it gets colder, the numbers will probably tise.

Yes. Memes aside, the game is actually on the downward spiral right now. The situation could change, but EVE is not presently a smart bet.

3 Likes

The forum isn’t much better. I’m not free to say more than that.

1 Like

The forum and a lot of people here are trash but hey it’s better than reddit.

2 Likes

Don’t feel bad. None of us are FREE.
But we will be.
I’m not free to say more than that.

The ‘life’ of a sandbox game is entirely the players. If the game stagnates…it is because the players have stagnated. Which is why all those ’ I am leaving’ bittervets don’t concern me in the least. It’s all the more opportunity for new people with fire and imagination to step in. And that is what will rescue Eve, not CCP ‘fixes’.

2 Likes

Everything is dying. My guideline is whether I have fun when I log in. I am, so I keep logging in. If the game is fun and engaging now, are you really going to not play it in case it closes at some point? At that point why do anything? The one consistent in games is people saying Eve is dying. Just play it if you have fun.

6 Likes

Check EVE-Offline :: EVE-Online Status monitor
Adjust Q3&4 (after summer lump).
It seams that '21 we had 26k pilots on in average,
this year it seams we see around 19k in average.
Do yourself the math.
The drain is not exactly 40% , but 25-36 depending what you call the base.

But “No EvE is not dying” I call it coma, delirium or infirmity !

1 Like

I call it a culling.

1 Like

Heh.

I love when you tell on yourself :smiley:

EVE been dying since 03 :smiley:

2 Likes

And the sky is blue

1 Like