Is Eve improving? - VOTE

Have to agree with several posters that the timeframe reference is important. Started in 2008 and found myself lost in the newness and possabilities of EVE. For several years the Devs and CCP staff fully engaged with the players both inside and outside of the game. Then a defusement of CCP resources began; an overreach of ability and concepts that drained real power behind meaningful game improvements that benefited all players. Parts of the game dreamed “good enough” were left fallow and more effort was spent on enhancing those areas that gathered out of game notice. Concerns and complaints were often ignored: we often recieved replies of “we see no need for that” from CCP on those times they deemed to reply to our issues. This drug on for years and complacency and developmental “wheel spinning” became the norm.

Then when new data gathering tools were introduced with Into the Abyss CCP was shocked to find that much of what they thought was happening was incorrect or imprecise. What many of us had been finding through the years and anecdotally reporting to them was found out to be closer to reality than what CCP had been basing their development on. HS WDs that had been complained about for years suddenly had a major revamp, Rorquels and VNI recieved nerfs, Alpha player abilities were reduced, the idea of either a delayed or removed local in NS was introduced, etc. An apparently reinvigorated CCP began to rapidly introduce game changing mechanics in a desperate plan to claw back years of being “good enough” in regards to development.

So, I would say that despite a history of uneven game development, EVE is improving…but is it doing it fast enough to save it?

1 Like

The poll question is pretty ambiguous and the target demographic is a bunch of goldfish minded and results oriented forum rage-queens. They will vote based on whatever the last thing to tickle their lizard brain was and not a thoughtful look back over the history of the game from its inception to this day.

That said…of course it’s improved and is improving. Provably so. Objectively so.

Thanks for your reply Foggy.

I don’t think anyone’s vote will be as empty as you make it out.

Some pretty intelligent people on here, and everyone enjoys Eve in his or her own way.

The poll question is pretty simple is Eve getting better right now or is it getting worse. Weather or not it is as good as it was in 2000 whatever doesn’t matter it is about the current direction.

There have be changes to the game recently that I like. But the game is not getting better. Solo pvp consist of 30 second frigate fights with both players thinking if it goes long than 35 seconds I hope my guys get here before his. Small gang pvp almost doesn’t exist because who ever starts losing drops caps. Fleet fights are a matter of can we counter what they have if not stand down. Cap fights are actually okay I guess. But most pvp seems to be a guy in Jita waiting in a tornado for some idiot with cargo expanded T1 hauler to jump in with enough value to make it worth killing or a bunch of RP guys in T1 destroyers killing an AFK miner in a T1 barge. Then these guys thank they are elite pvpers.
Or its the guy in the 2 mil T1 hauler that whines about getting killed when he has 2 bil in his cargo hold. Or the AFK miner comes back to his computer after watching Netflix and comes here and cries for CCP to make high sec safe.
And the worst part of the game is the entitled “pvpers” that are better than everyone because they live in null. They pvp in 2 bil smart bombing battleships they multibox a couple toons warp to anoms kills stuff in two minutes warp to the next rinse and repeat but if someone happens to kill them they cry “no local isn’t fair I’m going to un sub” and they say things like its the " carebears fault that I don’t get to know who is 25 jumps from me" when they are doing the exact same thing as the carebears just for 100 time s the isk.
No the game isn’t getting better. All I play is the forums, its sadly becoming the best part of Eve.

3 Likes

I voted yes becuase from release the game must have improved massively. I wasn’t in game when it started, I joined about 2010 but even sicne then there have been great improvements in the game overall. Not everything has worked out (Industry teams for etc) and the thing is that you cannot please all the people all the time as is apparent by the contents of these forums. Just look at the constant arguements for and against this blackout for example, or sov changes, or skill injectors

Visually the game is great, and whilst I do get bored in game that is on me as I need to find something to do in order to gain interest.

I dont think it will ever be perfect and I wish they’d fix a lot of the niggly problems but overall yes

2 Likes

If cant keep your credit card inside your wallet I think its not issue in game development. CCP needs to make money somehow. You are not forced to pay, grind if you like to play that way.

And it also was only my opinion. No need to yell or use bad words.

1 Like

It’s a tricky question. Because what has happened over time with EVE is less that “EVE has gotten better” or “EVE has gotten worse”.

It’s more that “EVE offered a promise of something many years ago, and for a little while, because the game and the players were in a certain state, it fulfilled some of that promise for some of the players. But as players have become more adept at the game, and new players have fewer opportunities, the game is slowly revealing the fact that what EVE ‘markets’ is not actually what EVE provides. Therefore there has been a gradual steady decline in interest in EVE among both old and new players, as the disconnect between what brought them to EVE and what EVE actually provides grows wider.”

Some things have gotten better. Some things have gotten worse. But like the aging mansion trying to keep up appearances by hanging pictures over the worst decay… the cracks in the foundation just keep getting bigger and more visible.

Have to go with ‘not sure’ even though my answer would be “a bit of both, not that it matters”.

I vote present.

2 Likes

Curious as to why you’re not having fun- “carebear” activities not satisfying? You mention the new PVE content e.g.

Are these not to your liking either?

1 Like

Well stated and insightful, IMO.

1 Like

Hi Miulan,

It’s more my style of gameplay: I don’t enjoy logging in, sorting out which ship to fly, undocking, travelling to location, doing stuff, repeat etc…so much time goes in to travelling and fitting ships and sorting through cargo etc that hardly any time is spent doing what I actually enjoy.

It’s just my preference, and it’s why you may or may not have seen recent thread ideas from me about things such as high-sec insta-jump charges which let you bypass several stargates, as well as advocating for a high-sec capital ship.

I just find Eve as it is tiresome.

1 Like

Thanks for participating Xuxe Xu.

I voted not sure, because I can see ccp are trying to cater to new players, but also many older players have left/are not happy.

Ah this is probably where we (and I mean you and I and others and I) often find points to disagree on. I like all those things. I like choosing a ship to wear like a finely chosen outfit for the day. If I cant be bothered with a custom fit, Ill choose from one of dozens of prefit junkheaps I can just open the door and go in.
I like the opportunities that present themselves when travelling; scan for anoms, salvage left at gates, Trig hunters beating their chests as I take a juicy steak from under their noses and bound into the trees… sorry… anyway…

Im not criticising your goal orientated playstyle, its probably more productive than mine lol but I think that as long as the game can support both equally, thats what keeps it interesting. And the only real way EvE isnt improving tbh right now is in providing both styles with equal opportunities.

And in that regard I think your style needs more content in general.

Thanks Ramona, nice response.

Yeh I definitely prefer goal-oriented games. Jump in and play, then log off after 10 minutes, or 1 hour your choice. But that time should be spent 95% achieving your goal, not the other stuff.

I can do that in MMOs like Guild Wars 2, which I play on and off.

Eve on the other hand…ohmygod… don’t even ask.

The amount of money i’ve wasted in this game is unbelievable…the time spent training skills…all for what?..Then all the deaths…

Ok sorry i’m bashing now (thread derailment) :lying_face: :grimacing: :roll_eyes:

I think it really depends on the kind of goals you want to set yourself, or how you enjoy playing games.

1 Like

Eve has improved and the biggest improvement has been the Null Blackout.

As to the biggest problem EvE has always had, their customer service has always been appalling. I mean when you have a complaint about a staff member, who you complain to their internal affairs about and they actually send the complaint to the person you are complaining about to determine if their is a problem, you know there is something seriously wrong.

And looking at the fact discounts are being sent to people and those people not getting that discount it looks like the customer service is still bad and needs fixing.

1 Like

You call this a big improvement:

what’s your opinion of the players who actually don’t think it’s a good idea and has caused them to suffer losses in profit etc…?

I’m just curious what you think about this.

Always appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.

Most of the players who are complaining, are the ones who wanted Null sec to be Low risk with very high reward. This has just restored Null to a more balanced risk vs reward.

As to losses, this is bound to happen in any attempt to change risk vs reward into a more balanced form.

Null sec players should have known that Null would not stay safer than Hi-sec for ever and for those who cannot cope with Null as dangerous as it is, they can move to Lo-Sec and have their local back.

3 Likes

Just pointing out your incorrect line here :slight_smile:

I’m a high-sec player.