Is it safe to fly a billion ISK ship?

Hello I was in high sec and was watching jump freighter after jump freighter flying around these are not cheep ships some I swear were using autopilot to get to a gate, is that even safe for them or is there something I don’t know about?

3 Likes

It’s save enough and many of them are part of the blue ganker donut that protects them from most ganks.

2 Likes

You should probably ask to see their Hauling Permits

4 Likes

You could always try yourself and find out.

2 Likes

Still very new and don’t have the skill requirements yet :open_mouth:

2 Likes

No need to buy the ship, just buy a bunch of plex, autopilot in a shuttle with the plex inside, and type in local what youre doing.

3 Likes

Don’t forget to live stream it too. :wink:

2 Likes

If you have the money for the plex I will do it :grinning:

4 Likes

If you have a mining permit and follow the Code you are fine.

4 Likes

I sense great potential in you, grasshopper

4 Likes

Lies!!!

1 Like

Behind the verbal diarrhoea the code contains a lot of common sense that some see as onerous, patently obvious things like not going afk in a PvP game.

Would you go afk in CS? I hope not, and if you do you deserve to be on the receiving end of a headshot.

But apparently some see it as a good idea to do so in Eve and then get bent out of shape when they’re on the receiving end of a headshot; I’m guessing that you fall into this group.

6 Likes

Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt it possible to jump out (Reverse Hotdrop I guess) if you get your JF stuck in a bump?

Safe? Ur not safe even in starter ship

1 Like

You talking about normal Freighters? Cause Jump freighters cost like, 9 bil

Everything in EVE is safe - until it isn’t. Some places are less safe than others - such as choke points on commonly used travel routes (like Uedama and Niarja). How unsafe it is, at any given moment, can depend on how many disreputable pilots are standing by, ready to make something unsafe.

1 Like

Okay… I guess I’ll play the “straight man” and offer up an actual answer to the OP. :slight_smile:

When you ask “is it safe to fly a billion ISK ship?” a distinction has to be made.

1. Is it safe to fly a ship whose hull is worth a billion ISK?
  2. Is it safe to fly a ship that is carrying a billion ISK?

If the question is #1 then yes, it is generally pretty safe.
If the question is #2 then no, it is not safe.

The reason for this is simple:

• Destroying a ship whose hull is worth a billion ISK will not produce much in terms of tangible rewards. More so if the ship has enough HP to necessitate multiple hostiles engaging it at once.
  • Destroying a ship that is carrying cargo valued at a billion ISK is a different story. Since cargo has a 50% chance of dropping as loot, there is a chance of a decent “payday” for the aforementioned hostiles. At this point it is simply a calculation on how many ships and people (and effort) are needed to destroy the target… and how much said ships and people cost. The easier it is to destroy the ship carrying a billion ISK, the better the potential payout.

I will also point out that this only applies in 1.0 to 0.5 space (High-Sec). Once you venture out into 0.4 to 0.1 (Low-Sec) and 0.0 to -1.0 space (Null-Sec / Wormhole Space) this calculation goes up in smoke.
It simply becomes a matter of, “can someone catch and blow you up or not?”

edit: I will also add that there are those out there who will blow up a billion ISK ship for no other reason than “because they could” or to “see if they could do it at all.”
And there are others out there who will blow up expensive ships because they have a vendetta against the pilot flying said ship.

13 Likes

It’s about as safe as a small fleet ganking with tornadoes.

1 Like

I’d blow it up just to see the expression on the pilots face :weary:

3 Likes

Calm down Miner, we understand your concerns.

Oh gawd these people are HIlarious: http://www.minerbumping.com/2018/10/highsec-miner-grab-bag-168.html

2 Likes