Journey of a noob, first impression

Dagan is absolutely meant to cause pilots to what you did, and ask for help. This is the culmination of what is meant to be a storyline devoted to exploring the more detailed aspects of PvE combat, culminating in group engagement against Dagan to introduce the Fleet system.

It could definitely use some work, as it is clunky and un-engaging content with lots of issues along the way.

Glad you made it through!

3 Likes

There’s time for mining and time for adventure. Killing Dagan is the first benchmark in EVE - there’s many ways, and you found a valid one. BTW Dagan has that mentioned “active tank”, but in shield boosting.
Funny, the mission before Dagan is also surprisingly hard because of neuting, but in the first run I didn’t notice either.

Day 9 + 10

Joining a corp, moving day and… ice mining.

sorry for the slow updates, RL has slapped me hard in the face in the last week, so got alot going on next to the game currently.

and while I remember, thank you @Tursiops_Truncatus for the kind donation the other day, I honestly didnt notice until a few days after.

1 Like

Congratulations on your corp, and venturing into ice mining! Good luck out there

A few suggestions for general awareness:

1. Check to see if your corp has any other corps or alliances set red (negative standings) - and if so, find out why! This can save you a lot of frustration if the corp has a nemesis that likes to suicide gank members even if more profitable targets are present.
  2. Be very careful with mining and mission running within 5 jumps of the Jita system. This is a very heavily populated area and well liked by gankers as a great place to find easy prey. Learn to monitor local for known dangers (if your corp does not flag gank corps/pilots, you can start doing so in your personal standings), and if a dangerous party shows up when you are in a bad setup for self defense, be prepared to run away - ganks are over quickly, so 5 minutes docked up will usually be enough time for them to hit their target, get nuked by CONCORD, and leave the system again. If you have a lot of nearby better targets, or are flying a ship that pays for itself in a short period, staying in space may be worth the risk.
    2b) This is especially relevant with missions, since you won’t have other pilots on grid that present juicier targets the way you do in belts. Other players can locate you even when you are in a deadspace pocket (places you can warp to with an Acceleration Gate in a mission), and in most cases anyone can use the gate to get into the pocket - deadspace is not ‘safe’ from other players.
  3. Be alert for players who suspect bait - they come in, steal from a can or wreck that is ‘owned’ by you, turn flashy yellow so you are allowed by CONCORD to shoot them freely - but once you fire, they can shoot back, and are usually equipped to nuke the aggressing ship handily. Unless you are rigged for PvP and comfortable with losing your ship if you underestimate them (and know how to research their likely fits, maneuver for PvP, etc.), it is probably best to ignore these players and move along to another activity until they leave.

My first day mining I was ganged by those mommies basement dwelling of code in a .6 area. They then tried to extort 30M isk for a permit. WTF kind of game lets noobs get ganked by a bunch of RP losers in a non pvp area ? Great first impression for a new player.

There is no such thing as a non-PvP area in EVE - the entire game, every space, is PVP-OK.

2 Likes

The whole of EVE is a PvP area.
As soon as you undock, you enter PvP space

1 Like

@Helba_The_Infamous

Maybe next time see if there is boosting going on in the belt.
You can always ask if you can join the boosting fleet.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forums moose!

I know right! When stuff like highsec crimes happens it show how interactive this game is and what possibilities there are! A very compelling experience for new players, one that seems to get them engaged.

Certainly the OP of this thread is having fun exploring this living world. I’m glad you are enjoying yourself as well!

1 Like

Happy Cake Day!

@Helba_The_Infamous

To expand on J_Poll’s advice about fleeting: be aware that Fleets have pros and cons when it comes to unfamiliar players - yes, you can benefit from boosts by a fleet member, but your location is also vulnerable to a warp-to-member feature that can be used by clever infiltrators to hunt targets. Being in a fleet does not grant protection from your fleet mates, so do your research, opt out of fleet warp (so a squad leader or higher cannot forcibly warp you anywhere), and be alert for the FC trying to get fleet members to cluster up - filament yeeting is a thing and public fleets can be bait.

One that treats new players like gamers and not baby.

Even then the systems you start in people can be punished if they gank you in them. It’s not impossible to do, it’s just that the game devs can punish for doing so.

Once you leave those designated starter systems you are on equal ground as everyone else.

Day 12

Mining is as fun as watching paint dry…

So a game that doesn’t want more customers, gotcha.

Some play Solitaire for hours and hours, so I 'm sure enough folks like mining. Some prefer shooting or hunting, they say Solitaire was a waste of time.
Actually I like the microing in Highsec mining, when asteroids deplete within minutes, and you can optimize the cycle time and mining position - and to be honest it’s more action than waiting for a victim for hours at a remote gatecamp or a roam in a deserted region.

We are paying customers. You can be customer as well - or just content. Your choice.

I love mining for many reasons but I would have to say that building ships with the rocks I pick up is the main thrill for me. I build all of my ships that I fly so it makes sitting in a belt for 10 hours worth it. Also at the top of my list is fleet mining. You get on voice chat with some good folks to chat with and time fly’s by fast. Fleet mining ops are much more laid back than fleet ops for PVP. ISK use to be the top of my reasons why I mined but that was back when I first started playing EVE. Once I started building my own ships, ISK was the least of my worries. Yes I still need ISK but its not been a priority for me in a long time.

Reading your post brings back some great memories of when I first started playing EVE. EVE blew my mind out of the water when I first logged into EVE. Back in those days we did not have skill injectors or plex. You started with nothing and it took years before you was actually good at any one thing. keep the post going, I actually enjoy reading it.

1 Like

Day 12

The short lived Vexor…

1 Like

Don’t forget you can always link your own killmails here. :wink:

1 Like

Your fitting time for the Vexor is “quality” time and not lost at all, because you thought about fitting which stacks up (“experience”) and the fitting itself is still in the books. Luring players into Lowsec pockets is a common trap. You’ve learned it the hard way, but that’s no problem. E.g. in Podion there are the cheapest ships in Minmatar space…

Final update
( body limit of the first post has been reached, so can’t add anymore entries to the top post)

Day 13

I bought and fitted a 2nd Vexor today and immidiately renamed it to “You Vex Me” ( I thought that was pretty clever name ) and off i went, doing lvl 2 security missions for the sisters of eve.
The missions started to repeat themself, but I kept grinding through them, raising my standing to 3.0, unlocking lvl 3 missions.
The Vexon seem to be able to tank everything the lvl 2 missions throws at me, but due to my low skillpoints in controlling this thing, I have the dps of a wet nuddle.
I’ll wait until I have a battlecruiser before I continue down this route. I am barely able to fly the cruiser still at this point, so pushing for a battlecruiser might be a bad idea, before I get some more skillpoints accumulated…
I brought my nereus hauler to the station and did a few lvl 3 distribution missions for the sisters of eve, but man, the rewards are bad, and flying an atlas fridge many jumps around, delievering pizza for the sisters of eve quickly came to an end.

Tomorrow i’ll try fitting a heron and do some relic/data sites. I dont have too high hopes of finding anything with nothing but lvl 1 in the different skills related to scanning.

Day 14

I googled some builds for a scanning Heron, and was suprised I could actually make a newbie fit. It was cheap too, only 1.3mil in total, and I was of in my new ship, and boy is it fast. I love the fast ships, even if it’s only a frigate.
I started out doing a bunch of scans in high sec, but found nothing but combat sites and wormholes, no wonder with so many people in the systems, so I took a good long look at the map, and played around with the filters abit, and “Average pilot in space in the last 30 mins” is now one of my favourite funktions. I quickly travled to systems with a very low amount of people in the last 30mins, and I quickly found more and more cosmic signatures and started scanning them down. at first it took awhile, fiddling with the probes, but I soon got the hang of it, and was off to my first data and relic sites.
The hack at the site seem to go ok. and I managed to succesfully hack about 80-90% of the debris/data.
The loot is alot better than what I was expecting, and before i knew it, I had all sort of random loot worth about 5m in my cargo hold. I am actually enjoying these mini-games of finding sites and finding the best routes through the hack.

Soon I found myself venturing into lowsec again, this time in my defenceless scanning heron.
Who cares if someone blows me up, its 1.3m total, and following the pattern of traveling to systems with no or at least, very low player count seems to work for me so far.
I tend to warp into the low sec system, launch my probes and travel to within 100km of a nearby planet. I then keep a close eye on the overview and local chat while scanning, and between every scan, I travel to another planet (within 100km)

I found a cosmic signature I just couldn’t get a warp signature on, nomatter how many times I moved the probes, pinpointing the position, I couldn’t get past 94% strenght. after a good 30mins of trying, fiddling with the probes in all imaginable ways, I called defeat, and sought help through google.

Replace probes with Sister of eve probes!
I found my answer, and did as suggested. Having earned enough loyalty points, I simply went to my mission hub, and bought the probes.
Even with my crappy hacking and scanning skills, I can now scan down lvl 4 sites (although it still takes some time )
I love it, and have quede up some better hacking and scanning skills over the next few days, and currently training to use cloaks aswell.
I wonder what treasures hide in null-sec when low sec can be this rewarding… I feel myself drawn closer and closer…

This will be my final entry to the journal, thanks for reading and your suggestions.
Maybe we will meet, in the darkness of space.

/Helba

4 Likes