Launcher works fine, but client won't launch the game

Hi,

I used to play on Linux about 2 years ago (Gentoo 64-bit). Now is my second time.
I just did this:
https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Installing_EVE_on_Linux
Client works, I am able to login and do eg. settings, but when I click play nothing happen. I did verify of integrity. What should I do next?

./evelauncher/evelauncher.sh
[0326/063758:WARNING:resource_bundle.cc(291)] locale_file_path.empty() for locale
Installed Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /home/ewa/evelauncher/translations/qtwebengine_locales. Trying application directory…
Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /home/ewa/evelauncher/qtwebengine_locales. Trying fallback directory… Translations MAY NOT not be correct.
[0326/063758:WARNING:resource_bundle.cc(291)] locale_file_path.empty() for locale
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; no appID found.
Either launch the game from Steam, or put the file steam_appid.txt containing the correct appID in your game folder.
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
Server started
QWidget::setLayout: Attempting to set QLayout “” on QWidget “tableParent”, which already has a layout
QXcbWindow: Unhandled client message: “_GTK_LOAD_ICONTHEMES”
QXcbWindow: Unhandled client message: “_GTK_LOAD_ICONTHEMES”

I had a similar experience recently - on a Debian 9 build.
I’m reasonably confident that these warnings aren’t the issue - they relate to the launcher not the client it launches. Have a look at launching it with logging enabled and that will give you, in loglite, the client errors as it launches.
The Windows installer runs nicely for my under Wine3.0.1 with it set to XP and DX9, but there are a bunch of install dependencies.
I suspect anything after XP/DX9 is too demanding on later versions of the libraries than Debian 9 packages (Debian is very conservative in favour of stability over cutting edge).

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Mcnster/EVE_Online#Install_EVE_Online was useful. I’ve a suspicion that the media libraries are important as the client was dying for me after the bulk data bit when the opening cinematic should have started and I got an Xaudio locking error (that’s a Windows call that Wine maps/translates to a Linux call).

Not sure there’s a lot of help in there, but it may give you lines of investigation.

Is there any nice (easy) tutorial, how to run this directly through wine? Which wine version you recommend?

https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Installing_EVE_on_Linux
is a good place to start - and surprisingly easy to find.
“Easy” depends on your familiarity with Linux and Google.

WINE 3.0 seems to work. I’m using 3.2 myself and it runs fine, nearly out of the box you can say.

Just set up a directory for EVE, set WINE into “Windows XP” mode and install it. Then start the launcher, select DX9, and start playing.

Wine 3.0.2 works in XP mode. I’m using it.
You need to ensure that all the appropriate Linux drivers are in place and working. All Wine does is translate Windows OS calls into Linux calls - it’s not an emulator.

Where does one look for a full list of required drivers?

The AppDB at WineHQ can tell you about which software currently works and does not work, and often contains more detailed information about it.

For EVE Online does it require a recent WINE version, which in itself requires an up to date version of an OpenGL-capable graphics driver.

Your best chance with Nvidia are their proprietary drivers. For AMD and Intel might both their open source drivers and their proprietary drivers work. AMD and Intel are better at supporting the communities with documentation than Nvidia is.

Audio-wise should you only need a recent kernel with support for your audio hardware. That said, not every audio hardware supported by the kernel also works with WINE. WINE may have problems with externally attached audio hardware. API-wise is PulseAudio the current standard and found on most distributions.

You find the proprietary graphics drivers often included in distributions, i.e. with Debian can one find these in the non-free section. Your /etc/apt/sources.list file needs to contain the word non-free, or it will not show them to you. In example for a testing distribution:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing non-free contrib main

You can also get these drivers directly from the companies, but you will be required to run their installers, and usually means having kernel sources and a compiler installed.

[quote=“Terak_Romaller, post:2, topic:65961”]

Have a look at launching it with logging enabled

How do i do that?

@tutan
The same way as you do in Windows through the Launcher.
It starts to tell you where the launcher is having problems starting the client. Not always useful, but often informative.

The same way as you do in Windows through the Launcher

Never ran the game in windows so please, can you stop being cryptic and tell HOW?

@tutan your character in Eve has existed for almost nine months (8 months and 29 days). Your last location was in Jita - which does indicate a certain familiarity with the game.

It is in the Settings menu of the Launcher (either Windows native, or under Wine on Linux - it’s the same thing).

• You open the Launcher, you select “open settings” - the cog symbol at the bottom left of the Launcher window.
  • Under the column: General Settings there is a tick box labelled “Run Clients with Logging”. Select that option.
  • Select “Close settings”
  • Launch game as usual, Loglite will open to report the messages generated.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.