MAC SHUTTING DOWN/ RASHING DUE TO EVE

Im using the iMac Late 2014 27’’ Retina 5K with quad core intel core i5 3.5 GHz with 16 GB memory and AMD Radeon R9 M295X and i have mac os x 10.5.4 on it, these specifications meet all the minimum requirements and most of the recommended requirements, Im a new player and the game was working fine for an hour or so of gameplay but then it shutdown my iMac, it completely powered it off. Now every time i launch the game after about 5 mins it powers my whole computer off. I have no idea what is happening nd i LOVE eve so i want to play, what should i do? Ive tried deleting and reinstalling almost 3-4 times, please help me.

1 Like

With Mac’s usually i found because of too high graphics/sounds settings. Switch them all to low/medium and gradually increase and see what holds. My 2011 iMac can run one account on low to medium mix settings, or dual box with a mix of mostly low&few medium settings.
At higher settings the game becomes unstable and starts to freeze/ crash after some time of playing.

Your computer could be overheating. I don’t know if this particular program is compatible with your mac, but you should install some sort of hardware monitor so that you can see your CPU and GPU temps. Then compare it with the maximum safe temps of your hardware. You’d have to look up your specific CPU for it’s maximum temp, but it should be around 100 degrees celsius. And your GPU will throttle at 105 degrees Celsius. If you are nearing those temperatures while running Eve, then you have an overheating problem.

Overheating is typically caused by two things (1) dust blocking fans/vents and on heatsinks, and (2) old thermal paste losing its thermal conductivity. You can try to blow things out with a can of compressed air (or a compressor if you have one), but you’ll probably need to crack it open, blow out all the dust, and replace the thermal paste for the CPU and/or GPU. Unfortunately, if you have an all-in-one, doing this will be a pain in the butt. So, if you aren’t comfortable taking stuff apart and putting it back together, you should probably take it to a shop. Of course, first things first, try to figure out if it is indeed overheating, and then go from there.

Anyway, please come back and tell us how you got this problem sorted. It might help the next guy with the same problem.

I am having this same issue on Catalina, this is related to Wine and how it DIRECTLY interacts with the computer’s hardware. This issue is not present when running games using other Virtual machine software.

It’s not on the user’s end, it’s on ccp’s decision to use wine to emulate windows to play this game on mac.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.