Maestrom Fitting

Recently, when doing level 4 missions I have been keeping a lot of the loot that is being dropped with the aim of making a fit (or most of a fit) out of the items that drop. The aim for these fits is to go PVP in them, most probably on a solo basis. This is just about enjoying the game rather than having the bestest, optimal fit out there.

Today a couple of Dual 650mm Prototype Automatic Cannon’s dropped and it made me realise that A: there are a lot of protectile weapon systems out there and B: I know next to nothing about them.

So, anyway, Looking up infomation about this weapon system it would seem to be for Minmatar Battleships, And then looking at that class I see either the Maestrom or the Tempest would use these systems, I thought the Maestrom looked pretty cool and i’ve never flown one so have decided that I want to fit up a Maestrom and then go out to low or null sec space to look for fights (probably very short fights knowing my luck).

I could probably bring along a low skilled alt with some ECM dishonour, but I am pretty lousy at solo pvp when concentrating on one character let alone 2 so wondered what would be a good fit for a Maestrom, for solo PVP in low ot null sec. I dont want bling but the character I have is happy to use T2 items, but the guns need to be the Dual 650mm Prototype Automatic Cannon

So, the Maelstrom, is an interesting case. Its got one of the strongest active shield tanks of any battleship, but the lack of utility high slots tends to hold it back from solo use most of the time. It is most often used as a bait ship given its huge tank capability and decent number of mid slots.

There’s also the fact its a battleship, a class rarely used for solo PvP these days. Most people will simply assume you are baiting for a larger fleet and hit you with overwhelming firepower immediately.

Anyway, on to fits, you can essentially go down 2 paths, dual X-large Ancillary shield boosters or a deadspace XL shield booster (required since T2 shield boosters are pretty rubbish) and cap injection. The latter fits better, is more expensive and can sustain itself for longer. The former has better burst-tank capability and is cheaper. Almost all fits use 800mm repeating cannons or artillery (in a fleet or PvE setting) since the Mael has no inherent range bonuses.

Here is my suggestion for a deadspace injected fit.

[Maelstrom, injected]

Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Tracking Enhancer II
Tracking Enhancer II
Damage Control II

Pith B-Type X-Large Shield Booster
Heavy Capacitor Booster II, Navy Cap Booster 3200
Multispectrum Shield Hardener II
500MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Heavy Stasis Grappler II
Warp Scrambler II

800mm Repeating Cannon II, Republic Fleet Fusion L

Large Core Defense Operational Solidifier I
Large EM Shield Reinforcer II
Large Thermal Shield Reinforcer II

Hornet EC-300 x5
Valkyrie II x5
Warrior II x5

Standard Blue Pill Booster
Agency ‘Hardshell’ TB7 Dose III

Downgrade the guns to 650s if you wish, they will give you slightly better tracking at the expense of less range and damage than the 800s. This fit comfortably tanks over 1000 DPS without heat, while drugs are active, so should be able to last a while. The fit costs roughly the same as the hull which is about the sweet spot for T1 battleships.

And here is my take on a dual XL ASB fit:

[Maelstrom, XLASB]

Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Co-Processor II
Tracking Enhancer II
Damage Control II

X-Large Ancillary Shield Booster, Navy Cap Booster 400
X-Large Ancillary Shield Booster, Navy Cap Booster 400
Multispectrum Shield Hardener II
500MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Heavy Stasis Grappler II
Warp Scrambler II

Dual 650mm Repeating Cannon II, Republic Fleet Fusion L

Large Thermal Shield Reinforcer II
Large EM Shield Reinforcer II
Large Processor Overclocking Unit I

Hornet EC-300 x5
Valkyrie II x5
Warrior II x5

Standard Blue Pill Booster
Agency ‘Hardshell’ TB7 Dose III

650s are actually a slight advantage as they allow the ASBs to fit without having to go overboard on fitting mods. This loses about ~40 DPS and 10km range on the previous fit in exchange for being able to burst-tank close to 1900 DPS if it needs to (although sustainability is much poorer).

Regarding the gun choice, I strongly recommend the T2, not only do you benefit from the increased damage from the specialization skill, you get access to T2 ammo (recently buffed hail!), where barrage is pretty much a necessity when using autocannons on a ship with no range bonuses to hit things 20+km away for decent damage. You also lose ~100 DPS over the T2 variant.

Hope this gives you some ideas anyway

-Cat

Hi @Caterpil Thanks very much for the detailed response, certainly some things to think about regardless of what fit to go for. If I am out and there is just overwhelming firepower against it then it will be a short and sweet engagement, someone will probably get some content out of me, but it will be little fun for me lol (I didn’t know that it was used as a bait ship). My main does have Autocannon Spec to IV so yes, I should really use that advantage rather than relying on the T1 guns.

My theory was that I would just make interesting content if fitting someone from salvage, I have over 500m worth of salvage but perhaps I should, at least with large ships, go for at least a T2 fitting

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.