Magic 14 Nonsense

This is the issue with rookie help is that 90% of the people there are also rookies, who don’t have that hindsight appreciation about what’s actually important. Of the rest, they’ve played longer but still lack that insight and understanding to properly teach others.

Same issue that often affect these forums - lack of experience and not enough variety of perspectives.

Whole heartedly agree. I’ve carved a nice little niche for myself and I only need 2 skills to do it. Neither of those skills are on the list.

Interesting, thought provoking thread disguised as a troll thread.

Looking at this somewhat objectively, I see a few things. Aiko’s age dissonance is setting in. There is a bit of “get off my porch with your new fangled thinkin” going on here. Any time someone old says “nonsense” you really need to pay attention. CCP doesn’t give a ■■■■ about your age dissonance and seems to prefer to cater to younger humans rather than the rocking chair vets.

That said, I’ve never felt PA CCP understands the Eve that WE discourse on. Just remember, if CCP could advertise a magic 14 pack with a promise from marketing, they would.

While it might be bad advice to give new players this Magic 14 bootcamp (nonsense), suggesting an alternative would increase the entertainment value of this thread.

I think the solution is to compromise. With all this instancing CCP does these days, they might as well spool one up for the newbs and isolate them if that’s what needs to be done.

Ignoring the OP’s obvious trolling, the problem with Magic 14 is that it’s a long term concept for people who are playing short term. Newbies who started playing 5 hours ago to “check out the game” and who might not be playing in 2 days if they get bored. “go train these skills for the next 5 days so you can fit more stuff to your ship” is a great way to get bored and uninstall.

It doesn’t matter if the website states that people probably shouldn’t train it to max, it doesn’t matter that it might state “use as a back up plan”. People don’t read it that way and idiots don’t explain it to others that way and even if they did it would probably get lost in translation due to the information overload. Don’t mention M14 anywhere, remove it from existence and instead show people skills to train that allows them to do cool and new stuff.

Other than the obvious reasons of EVE being very niche I BET lots of actual newbies who made it past the first day quit because “I have to wait 7-30 days?”.

5 Likes

This.

Stop recommending the Magic 14 in any way. Point newbies towards fun skills that unlock new stuff, based on what they want to do.

Does that mean you cannot give a generalized answer telling all newbies which skills to train and that you have to figure out what the newbie wants to do before you can give them a skill recommendation? Yes.

The new ingame newbie skill plans are a great start. The next step is to stop recommending the ‘Magic 14’.

2 Likes

100% agree.

Giving new players no advice is better than giving them bad advice.

3 Likes

I remember learning what manual piloting was about watching a master murder folks in his burn your face off executioner.

I learned this from direct experience when I created an alpha back in March. All that stuff I thought I knew actually made their life harder, as I was skipping stuff rather than directly learning. I actually did better in my original Omega when I hadn’t a clue what I was doing.

1 Like

You literally gank people who can’t shoot back and they are “cowards” if they manage to run away?

1 Like

Literally, I don’t.

1 Like

Makes sense… if you turn your brain sideways.

Give me a kill mail for every concorded ship that attacked me and we’ll talk.

Until then, if the only way I get those kill mails is to ungroup guns and shoot at each individual ship…too much work, and not enough guns or fitting room for them for the ships (or the fight is over before I finish locking them). It’s not worth it. A “gf” in local followed by angry failgank retort spam hardly counts.

It’s not cowardice for skillfully escaping a gank – the ganker’s failure to properly get the job done is not the victim’s fault.

If you get to the stage where you even need to ‘shoot back’…then you were obviously too busy watching Stranger Things and not paying attention. There’s no end of things you can do to avoid ever having a fleet of Catalysts descend on you in the first place. Join a corp with good intel. Add ganker groups to bad standing so they show as red in Local. Use d-scan so you can see if half a dozen Catalysts are within 14.3 AU. The list is endless.

That requires effort, he wants to mine afk you know. :wink:

With that level of victim blaming you’ll get that CODE application fast tracked for sure.

Mr Epeen :sunglasses:

1 Like

Just fly as if you where in low/null sec, don’t let people get close, dont afk if someone warps into your site get your modules overheated and be ready.

Wait with all the ganking comment’s I thought this was the ganking mega thread why is this in magic 14.

2 Likes

Hmm no, what the pilot needs to do is allign towards the incoming Catalysts and type in local Good Fight and get ready to press Return on the keyboard.

All these wanna be goodie two shoes pilots don’t wish to understand that all is needed is a Mining Permit.

On the other side of the fence and equally annoying are the mouthbreathers insisting that you shouldn’t undock to do pvp unless you have all support skills to V.

1 Like

I would suggest name it something else. The basic 14(?) after a couple of yrs since an alpha can’t even train all of them to 5.

1 Like

Long range targeting is fairly important for longbow fits. Capacitor Management is always useful since regen speed is linked to a percentage of capacity. Shield operation is unsurprisingly fairly important for shield fits. Turn rate is just as important as top speed.