Magic 14 Nonsense

Even with the 6 mil sp you can squeak outta an alpha, you would still need enough experience to know how to balance that.

And those can be trained up later. Train the ship skills and weapon skills to fight with said ships then worry about cap mngmt etc.

2 Likes

Tbh It’s better to let them feel first what its like without those skills then when they realize O The fleet is locking at 80k and shooting a target I can only reach 75k ■■■■, that skill seems good now then that skill is worth training because its valued by that player.

Same for fitting skills let them know its good but wait for them to have a fit they want to try that is lil over fittings.

If the player doesn’t realize them selves that value of those skills they will not appreciate learning them.

Like Right now I have 0 in sensor strength skills but as soon as some griffen decides to perma jam me I’m going to wish I had it.

1 Like

dude a fleet shooting at 80k = null sec f1 monkey
nothing to do with novice players
btw
real men fight at 0 , 10 , 25

edit:
oh…
you are just replying to him

anyway that proves my point

Your view on what a new player can be doing is a bit out of date. New players are regularly pointed towards null blocks as a way of learning the game. You could easily be an f1 monkey in a Caracal within a week, although you’ll not be able to hit anything with your terrible skills.

Yes but he was taking it into the context of a new player joining a null sec alliance flying one of their ships in a fleet I was using that point of reference.

Obviously there is 1000’s of things for a new player to do I don’t feel like giving examples of all 1000.

may God have mercy on your souls

1 Like

Agreed would rather they come to low sec or npc null, but Sov Null dudes do a lot of work when it comes to recruiting.

They’re useful skills in some situations, no one is denying that.

But we shouldn’t recommend these support skills to newbies as some ‘magical training solution’ when they could be unlocking fun new skills instead, like the Cadari destroyer skill and railgun skills.

Not much use of a newbie for a ‘longbow corm’-fleet if they cannot fly the ship or guns and left the game out of boredom before they could.

Let newbies unlock fun new skills first. Not those support skills.
Training long range targeting will feels a lot more useful to a newbie when they regularly get into situations where they would like to have that extra bit of range.

1 Like

Or Longbow Hookbill smallgangs that take pride in volleying people off the grid before their ADC can be clicked.

I primarily occupy myself with fighting at zero and killing Kikimoras and assault frigates with Condors that have less than 1k EHP, so I’d prefer it if you didn’t make assumptions about people’s gameplay styles.

I believe that people ought to learn all forms of combat, and how they can be applied to solo, smallgang and fleet engagements. This not only implies that I think people should train a more varied set of skills, it also fundamentally places me at odds with the author of the thread, whose skill plan is oriented around warping a bunch of Catalysts to a scrammed freighter and pressing F1, something I do not recognize as a form of PVP.

1 Like

did a research on you
you are ok
i apologise

2 Likes

Can you do a research on me?

1 Like

oh boy

4 Likes

To be useful in a fleet or be a more complete combat character you need ship skills, weapon skills and support skills. If a newbie joins a group that has requirement and doctrines or he want to compete with others there are several situations:

• if he trained ship and weapon skills he needs to train support skills
  • if he trained support skills he needs ship and weapon skills

Either way the training time is the same, if he trained two of the three he’ll still need the third, whichever that one may be.

So why would ANYONE think it’s a good idea to train the one skill type that is boring and keeps a newbie from trying and doing new stuff, possibly to the point where he just uninstalls? I’ll tell you who wants that: Null blocks, because that newbie will undoubtedly have trained the wrong ship/weapon skills for their doctrines they’d much rather have those newbies be ready and done with the support skill so they can imprint those newbies with their ship requirements. It’s just more efficient you see.

Training support skills first is dumb for a true newbie, you don’t NEED them. You do kinda need ship skills, weapon skills or play style specific skills. This shouldn’t even be up for debate ffs.

4 Likes

To be productive here, the best and only useful advice would be: “focus”.

The only bad thing that can occur trying to figure the game out is spreading too thin, if omega, ok time will fix it, but frustration will come. Alpha? Royally screwed.

So best advice is: pick a faction and a playstyle and pursue it, open 2-3 alphas to experiment different stuff. And by no means, listen to MAGIC BS, THIS IS NOT D&D.

2 Likes

That’s quite literally what I tell newbies if they don’t have any idea on what to do or aim for.

I think you’re the one blowing it out of proportion. No one is claiming these skills are essential, but they do affect most ships. That’s why it’s helpful to know about them and train them at your leisure.

Hi Qux welcome;)

Those same words sound a lot like Hateless_Gaming =) Do you know of him? I remember he strongly suggested on his twitch for new pilots to train into those skill.

o/

This is the first time Qux has posted

Fixed