Main AFK cloaky thread

Sure. Remove anyone who’s afk from local. Have them show up again when they become active. I’m not sure why that’s any different though. They still show up as “not being present” if they are AFK. I suppose it saves them 20 seconds of logging in when they come back.

CCP would probably like that better as their “simultaneous user” list wouldn’t take a hit by booting people.

I’d look forward to all the salt. Right now with intel networks built off local, going into a system and then waiting until I disappeared from local anyone waiting for me to “leave” would still be uncertain: Did he log, did he leave, is he AFK? I might not have been seen leaving hence not showing up on the intel network, and when I do go active again I won’t have to run the gamut of systems thus being reported several jumps out from my intended target. And if I have a bit of luck and the guy is focusing on what he is doing vs. local…I might catch him.

This would be the exact same behavior if a logout was forced for AFK. They show up again when they take an action… just like they’d show up again if they logged in. Again… we’re talking about inactivity making you log-out/disappear and activity causing you to show up. If this gives cloaky people at their keyboards an advantage by allowing them to spy on a system without being seen… GREAT. I have no desire to in any way injure the gameplay of those who are actually at their keyboards.

it’s the ones who walk away I want to impact.

Sounds like this one is a winner.

@Lena_Crews If the cloak-er is active he would still show up in local not sure how that is and advantage. Its more of an advantage now because you don’t know if they are active or not. With that system you would know they are actively hunting. So they would not get any more passive information than the target would. In fact you would have more information about the cloak-er with that system than you do now.

Not quite. Logging in you’d show up in local well before you could do anything.

NS ratting incomes do not need a buff.

10min probes for cloaked ships are a great idea

Why should those who are not AFK cloaking suffer a nerf to their playstyle? What do you do in gmae @Jehle? Do you run missions? Do you rat? Do you do some type of industry…mine perhaps? Whatever it is I suggest we nerf that/those activites to address “issues” with activities you do not do. Does that make even the slightest sense to you?

It wouldent be a nerf to anything.

New probe for finding cloaked ships that takes forever to scan. It nerfs nothing but people who are afk in space.

You are wrong. Unless it takes like 2 or 3 hours, active cloakers are going to have to keep moving every few minutes to avoid being caught. Sometimes an active cloakers warps into a site and his target is quite aways off and he’ll have to slow boat over to the target under his cloak. This can take several minutes. So as somebody who has actively hunted in cloaked ships I’d have to keep moving since I’d have know idea if the probes would be just starting their scan cycle or are 1, 2, 3,…9 minutes into their scan cycle.

So…what do you do in game that we can suggest nerfs to that have nothing to do with what you do? Grow a pair and answer the question.

Edit: Another scenario your “non-nerf” would have nerfed. A guy actively hunting in a cloaked ship came upon 2 rorquals that seemed oblivious to the fact he was in local. He got into position to point them, and reached out to people in our alliance. Pings went out, fleets were formed, and we started rolling. It took more than 10 minutes just to get the fleet formed. And more than 10 minutes to get a few jumps out. Nobody was AFKing anything. But your idea would have definitely “nerfed” that encounter.

Seriously, sit down and think…“if I were not AFK cloaking and this came into the game…how might it adversely effect me?” If you can think of even one answer you are nerfing game play that is not causing the problem you are trying to address. In short, stop being bad.

Edit II:

Rorqual kill #1

Rorqual kill # 2:

The dread we also killed in that encounter:

Point is, your idea might very well have nerfed that entire encounter right out of existence.

I cloaky camp.

Please try to be civil with me as i have not been so aggressive with you.

An hour timer on the probes would be fine with me. Maybe it can be a citadel module?

Given the power of local, I think any change at this point that focuses just on cloaks is bad. You cloaky camp because of local. Address that issue, and then looking at cloaks is more reasonable. And that is supposedly CCP’s plan with the observatory array. Remove local, “replace” it with a structure that allows fitting options–i.e. the replacement will be partial–then look at nerfing the power of covert ops cloaks.

Thank you for pointing out various reasons a 10 minute probe would not have worked.

I think local is fine. And to be honest i think the thought people have that local causes cloaky camping to be a problem is arbitrary at best. Correlation does not equal causation.

However, I do understand that local is the tool that allows my alts to be a shining beacon of fear.

But still the problem is me being able to strike fear into the hearts of renters while literally hundreds of miles away from my game client 23 hours a day. What other activity allows you to influence another entity while at work?

The only thing i can think of is eves markets. And still you cant change your prices 1 isking every one while away from your computer.

That may be a poor example (i wish there was an api to allow me to make market orders). But, i wholeheartedly believe that if a ship is in space, i should somehow be able to find it and shoot it.

Removing local wouldn’t work any way. It would just cause them to have to run a locator agent before they undocked only to eventually say “yup hes still here.”

I feel like it would only buff hunters in general.

Local is too powerful. It is perfect. It is never wrong. It cannot be taken away. It even gives advanced warning. Try this, get into a system with your main, and if you have an alt, jump him in. Works best if you have 2 screens. Your main will see your alt before your alt exits the jump/warp tunnel, let alone loads grid. I have tested this, others have tested it. If you are ratting, paying attention and aligned (or in a small enough ship like a cruiser) you will elude the hunter every time. Every time.

Further, why does cloaky camping “work” at stopping people from ratting? Because the people who would rate see your face in local. And they know it is true because local is never wrong.

Now simply removing local is “too much”. But nerfing cloaks is pretty much a buff to local and what it is used for. Combine it with intel networks/channels and it is also a buff to NS activities like mining and ratting. Now you know that the guy is there at his keyboard. There is a reason why wormholers never complain about AFK camping/cloaking…no local (well delayed local).

And locator agents are problematic in that they have cool down timers and primarily live in HS. And locator agenst, IIRC, will report your location even if you are logged off…yeah I know…its not good either.

And to be clear I am not defending AFK cloaking. I think it is at best boring game play (using that last term loosely). That is why I favor what I outlined above. Removing local, letting players claw it back in various forms via a structure and make cloaks somewhat vulnerable to scanning so AFK cloaking goes away. Now, if people simply turtle up they can lose their intel network and if that happens enough…maybe even their space. Get out there and protect these valuable assets, don’t rely on mechanics to do it for you.

Either make a random chance cloaks stop working after they have been on for a long period of time and have to be restarted or have a way to scan cloaked ships down doesn’t stop them but gives a way to hunt them down be fine with either option

Once there is a way to take local away from you, yeah sure. Until then, no.

Why do you want to remove the functionality of cloaks away from those who use them in active play (WH players for example)? Making cloaked ships scanable completely negates the point of the cloak. Changing local would make more sense, along with looking at cynos to help with the ‘but what about hotdrops!’ concerns.

I have an idea to fix the AFK cloaking…

Maybe when a player cloaks, they also lose their connection to the local chat communication beacons… so they drop off of local. That way you can rat in peace

1 Like

The obvious solution is to ban whining about afk cloaking, and those who do it right with it. Suddenly, all those who have no problem with them go on as usual and the few children who cry about it can go play a safe space game.

This is the best of all solutions, because it doesn’t require a single line of code to be written, improves the “gene pool” in new eden, and increases the average IQ.

We never had a thread about this one before. Someone please make it happen, I already fulfilled my monthly quota of threads last week.