Main AFK cloaky thread

What if I am the non-blue in local?

Like, literally this thread is about someone being undocked in local and others wanting to kill them easily. Neither of those things (being cloaked, or wanting to kill the cloaked camper) can be done docked.

Only Nullsec would be so worried about an afk cloak in local they’d be screaming for the rules to change so they can feel safe enough to mine and rat.

Big brain time I guess.

Yes, nullsec ratters and botters complain. That’s why hunting always needs to be possible with a clioak.

Just read the thread mate.

You PvP bot-aspirants and defenders of AFK gameplay can rant all you want. Just remember, from the latests devblog:

Address one of the most debated subjects in EVE, AFK cloaky camping, with improved systems to get rid of the frustration of AFK cloaking and its total lack of counterplay without removing the ability for hunters to catch lazy prey, or for spies to be able to scout and monitor systems with strategic value.

Bots have started doing PvP too? :open_mouth:

1 Like

How would you call to the following routine?

• Login the cloak char, cloak, brief check.
  • Going to work, a brief check.
  • Lunch time, then a brief check
  • Taking a nap, a brief check
  • Givin a walk, a brief check at return
  • Dining, then a bief check
  • Going to sleep, a brief check at wake

And so forth 24/7 And just act to call the mates and drop when on one of those brief checks you find a krab that has surrendered to the camping?

For me that´s plain bot-aspirancy applied to pvp, and getting too much of a reward for a game session of 24 hrs of wich 23:30 have been AFK

Yeah I look forward to the changes that CCP will introduce, even without yet knowing the details.

Because the bolded part is just as important as the first part. It’ll be a balanced change, which is perfectly fine. Krabs won’t be able to krab is complete safety.

1 Like

And that is totally fine, agreed. Any active hunter has the right to a good catch.

I’m coming back to this thread after a spell and a few conversations with folks, and I have to say that my position has changed slightly.

Probably 95% of the stuff that gets discussed here in this thread I think are still acceptable. Capitalizing on pixel fear to keep folks docked up, playing “Schrodinger’s hotdropper”, evading hunters, etc. This is all of the normal gameplay stuff, the typical metagaming that messes with people’s heads, and it’s all part of EvE.

AFK cloak intel networks using external programs to read EvE log files were always the hairy edge for me in terms of what was “okay” with AFK cloaking. They provide coarse intel, and it is usually delayed. And it isn’t technically botting since all you have to do was sit there and read the output of the EvE client. While I doubt that this is what CCP intended, they did make the choice to regularly output these things to an easily-read text file.

What I do see as being an issue though is this: AFK cloaked pilots sitting on a grid of interest (structure, gate, etc.) live streaming their client so an entire fleet can see what is on grid and where, real time, with no risk and virtually no effort. That amount of detailed, real-time information radically changes how large scale battles unfold, or whether they’ll even unfold at all. I know this is no different than the intel networks I mentioned before from a purely technical standpoint (i.e. using third party apps to exploit output from the EvE client) but the effects on nullsec warfare seem to be significantly greater in this case than with the intel networks. I think CCP needs to find a way to reign this in.

But then the problem becomes this: how do you reign in the one tiny part of AFK cloaking that is an issue without impacting all of the rest of it that is still perfectly legitimate gameplay?

I don’t have an answer here. I’m only sharing what I see to be a problem.

2 Likes

Ultimately AFK cloaking needs to be stopped. But removing local, and perhaps replacing it with something less powerful, is equally important.

Holy fuckin shet, how and why did the cloaky fuel idea even become a thing ???

Because krabs are desperate to come up with a way to farm in safety and throw dumb ideas all around, hoping to be the one lucky post that a developer sees and implements. But since they’re all single brain celled, they all just repeat the same proposal over and over again.

3 Likes

Im actualy genuinely scared CCP might listen as they appear to have also lost a few braincells lately …

Well, they said they’re gonna do something about it, and we know how good they are at taking feedback from the playerbase (not at all), so who the ■■■■ knows.

If I can’t hunt AFK FW FARMING BOTS in my cloaky Loki anymore, I will fucken quit …!!

Same rule applies to afk nullsec krabs …

1 Like

The only beef I have with cloakies are the cloaky pod killers at gates, but not much can be done about that.

Lets get this straight. The idea of a cloak taking fuel is terrible. It punishes everyone, hurts wormholers WAY more than the stupid AFK cloaky campers, and is a lazy solution to a different problem.

What is the issue at hand? It isn’t campers, and it isn’t a cloak. CCP you want people to play your game, not punish them. If people are actively camping, or actively using a cloak this is good news for you. Your issue is with those you log on at down time, then cloak and they walk away.

How do you fix the issue of afk cloaking in NS - easy. We fix it at the NS level. A tower can be built, 1 per constellation. It’ll have an umbrella in light years set to what ever distance you want - I’m in favor of it not cover the entire constellation. When you activate the tower it sends a pulse through it’s umbrella and de-cloaks everyone hit by it. Give it like an hour cooldown, but it has to manually activated so that bots can’t just recloak on consentient intervals. Those who are actively playing you game will just cloak up and this is good. You get intel - yes they are active, don’t rat. Those who are AFK will be scanned down and killed because they wont re-cloak. Then, go rat. Would you look at that, AFK camping is solved, you didn’t hurt wormholers, and null-bears get to build a new structure with their space Legos.

If you go down the route of fuel you hurt me. A wormholer who assumes someone is already cloaked and waiting before I even jumped into the system. Someone who goes wormhole to wormholes for hours. A person who has a cargo full cap batteries because its J-space, nuets are your best friend. Someone who can’t make fuel because of our lovely ice changes. The people who you hurt the most with this change CAN’T EVEN MAKE THE FUEL IN THEIR SYSTEM.

Then lets talk about the m3 of it all. You’re asking cov-ops ships to have fuel. They have a already small cargo bay. You hurt your new bro explorers. How about bombers? You know how much m3 a bomb takes? And you want us to fit fuel on top of it, what about ti-di fights how much fuel do you want a bomber to have, and how do you expect them to fit it?

The idea of a cloak taking fuel is a simple fix, and a bad fix. Don’t take the lazy approach.

2 Likes

@ Evie Kouvo Let me just say that before someone speed reads your post looking for things they can declare 1) bad 2) already mentioned in some form 3) impossible for reasons they will make up on the spot 4) death to their (non) playstyle or 5) helpful to their enemies (krabbers, botters)…those were some cool ideas regardless.

Don’t be so quick to dismiss. What if we say the fuel is pulled from the solar wind, automatically replenished by any ship fitted with a cloaking device and must be manually injected as, or similar to a script periodically. In fact, solar wind might be the explanation of how our ships are powered for all I know, but we could say this cannot be automatically done for cloaks, lets say, because any connection with the ships power supply will polarize everything or fry all the circuits.

corpse launcher BUT the volley for each shot is X4 the current market value of the implants in the body WITH damage type aligned to the implants i.e. crystals = em , Slaves = ex ect. ect.

Well, at least I have enough ammo then! Container after container of biomass. Still waiting for the April fools joke to come true. :rofl: