Main AFK cloaky thread

True , I corrected that thanks

I have a suggestion, AFK cloaky campers do stop people from playing I have seen that. I think we may be able to have a temporary fix to this issue by introducing the AFK disconnect feature.

Mainly if players are afk (i.e no keyevents detected) for a certain period of time AND also there are no timers/countdowns (non-capsuleer timer etc) then they can be automatically disconnected from the server.

This will fix a few issues in the gameā€¦ first these campers will have to actively hunt in the system if they want to keep camping it or atleast stay infront of the keyboard and do something. (PVP players and ratters satisfied)
DEVs can put a timer for mining rocks(i.e there will be a timer as soon as u start mining) that way even if you are mining some rocks with high volume you will not be disconnected according to the above logic. (Miners satisfied)

I am sure this can be perfected in several ways and would like opinions from others as well.

It has been discussed in detail before, (above) however your suggestion of needing to achieve certain benchmarks to stay connected is new to me.

I take it your mining volume suggestion is just one example of a benchmark, where ships destroyed or AU warped could also count. Am I right?

Regarding the mining volumn suggestion ā€¦what i tried to say is, sometimes when asteroids like moon rocks where each rock has a lot of volume and can be mined without doing anything for a long time , it can be mistaken as being afk by the above autodisconnect logicā€¦ so if we get a timer when we start mining one rock( for example when we start killing npc or provide mining boosts we get a 5min or 1min countdown timer) then it would be easier to get the auto disconnect feature implemented in the game.

1 Like

If youā€™re a paying subscriber, I suspect that auto-disconnect may have legal implications (in Europe at least).

(and itā€™s a stupid idea anyway, of course)

Never mind the people who come here to give grief. No oneā€™s ideas are perfect and most need work. Some people posting here do not understand the concept of ā€œprocessā€ or ā€œrefinementā€. All they can do is scream ā€œWonā€™t work!ā€ and ā€œBad idea!ā€. The Dunning-Kruger is very strong with many in this thread.

1. Itā€™s not game-play. Heā€™s not doing anything.
  2. Itā€™s some peoplesā€™ choice not to undock. Others arenā€™t bothered, or bait.
  3. AFK mining has far bigger impact on the game.

Your arguments lack substance.

No, heā€™s just a delusional hater with some serious problems.

Hereā€™s how this works:

A throws a word at B. In this case ā€œbot aspirantā€.
B takes it super personally and is angry.
B is incapable of dealing with the feelings caused by the word.
B believes that, because the word hurts him, it hurts A as much.
B now uses Aā€™s word.

Which means that he at least suffers from a serious lack of emotional maturity.

Youā€™re welcome. :blush:

1. Afk cloaking is a form of gameplay though - just like afk mining. You impact the game with minimal input.
  2. ā€˜Not being botheredā€™ by the chance of getting a covops cyno on you any time if the day is not a good thing to do, itā€™s stupidity. Baiting cloaky ships is a nice idea, were it not that you probably need to baiting half a day before something happens and thus a waste of time.
  3. Indeed, which is why afk mining needs to go. And afk cloaky camping too. Get rid of both.

This is true from the perspective of a coward,
but not an alliance thatā€™s not bothered by a guy who isnā€™t there.

Thatā€™s completely irrelevant. They wish to own space in nullsec.
They got to have responsibility and take care of others,
or they shouldnā€™t get to own and use the space.

The reason why afk cloaking isnā€™t ever a topic on reddit ā€¦
ā€¦ is because thereā€™s plenty of null seccers there ā€¦
ā€¦ and they donā€™t care for a reason.

Renters are trash, btw, who deserve nothing.

I can see why you think the way you do and itā€™s not anything I would hold against you.

I just massively disagree with the carebear-created narrative of afk cloakers being a problem in general.
They are, of course, a problem for exactly those itā€™s supposed to be the solution for.

The afk cloaky threads solely exist because those, against whom afk cloaking is being used ā€¦
ā€¦ turned the whole problem/solution thing upside down.

AFK cloaking is the solution to the problem created by those who believe that afk cloaking is a problem.

That idiot above, who believes heā€™s ā€œwonā€ because CCP is going to address afk cloaking actually has no idea that the odds of such a change being in his favour are small, if not outright tiny.

Yea I too think there is little chance that CCP will make null less dangerous when they address cloaky camping, but I do have good hopes that CCP finds a way to introduce interesting counterplay on both sides that does not involve the current ā€œget a response team ready 23/7 in case the cloaky catches the bait, and out of sight for the cloaky camper in that system or they wonā€™t bite at allā€, or the more realistic solution "go to a system without afk cloaky.

The current dynamics around cloaky camping are uninteresting and involve, well, leaving computers running for 23h a day.

We know that CCP is looking at it now and I wish them good luck finding a solution for this heated topic that does not impact legitimate playstyles.

I really wish that one day my initial thought at finding a cloaked ship would be "in what ship can I bait him", rather than ā€œwaste of time, heā€™s likely not even seeing my ship.ā€

1 Like

Sure. In the prior incarnation of this forum this was discussed at length. Probably discussed in this thread as well, but way back upstream.

Few disagree with the notion that there isnā€™t room for improvement, the issue is always one of balance. The current situation is balanced, but not very good. Most of the suggestions that pop up in this thread are significantly unbalanced in favor of the NS carebear.

1 Like

I canā€™t believe how many posts there are in hereā€¦
This is nuts.
Iā€™ve posted in a few other excessively long threads about this but this one takes the cake.
Anyhow, cloaked camping is in my opinion a valid tactic for not only screwing with your enemy while potentially gaining intel on them, itā€™s easy to prevent considering the resources of those it effects.
The problem is not the campers, the problem is the total and utter lack of preparation by people who think they own the systems this is done in. Your ā€œownershipā€ is transitory at best, itā€™s only ā€œyoursā€ till some one takes it from you.
So, since you failed to prepare, and because you seem to think that CCP should change things that donā€™t need changing, something Iā€™m opposed to for a lot of reasons I will give you a hint:
What are the weaknesses of cloaking?

Thatā€™s it, itā€™s actually simple.
The fact that you have failed to prepare these systems is your fault, no one elseā€™s and asking CCP to change things for you isā€¦
Like asking a god to do things you donā€™t feel like doing your self. ā€œTie my shoes, chew my food, give me the stuff I donā€™t have and donā€™t feel like earningā€.

I donā€™t like smart bombing gate camps, but do I ask CCP to get rid of smart bombs? No, I figure out how to get past them.

Take that hint seriously, and as for the people camping, they are your fault, you could have stopped them and you didnā€™t. Now you should have to live with them.

1 Like

What is ā€œclosing campingā€?

What do you mean ā€œprepare systemsā€?

That first thing was a typo thanks to autocorrect, thanks I will fix it. Closing = cloaked.

The second bit is what I was talking about with that hint, cloaking has a few serious weaknesses that can be used especially if one has access to hundreds if not thousands of players, though a determined person could do it solo if they put in some effort,. If it were me I would only consider it in very small systems.

1 Like

Thanks again for catching that, autocorrect is an evil bugger.

1 Like

You keep repeating this. Do you seriously believe that players can find a cloaked ship that doesnā€™t want to be found by flying around until you decloak it, or am I missing something here?

Simple calculation:

We have a cloaked ship that can be uncloaked by coming within 2km range of it. For simplicity, pretend we can uncloak it by coming within a cube with edges of 4km long. This cube has a volume of 4x4x4 = 64km3.

Now we take a tiny solar system of 10 AU across, or 10x150.000.000 km. Pretend itā€™s a cube again, with edges of 10 AU. This tiny solar system has a volume of 3.375x10^27 km3.

Your determined hundreds or thousands of players will have to search 3.3x10^27km3 / 64km3 = 53 septillion cubes, or locations, for that cloaky.

Of course, some will be a bit far out of straight lines between objects in space, which means itā€™s less likely that the cloaky is hiding there. But still, that leaves us quadrillions, if not quintillions of locations to accidentally bump into the hiding cloaky.

Letā€™s take a fast snaked uncloaking frigate moving at 10km/s. This frigate can check 2.5 cubes or ā€˜locationsā€™ a second. Now take your ā€˜alliance of 1000 peopleā€™ flying these frigates, which are able to check 2500 locations a second.

How long would it take to check all those quadrillions of locations? 10^15 / 2500 = 4x10^11 seconds, or 12683 years.

Iā€™ll see you in the year 14704. Let me know if youā€™ve accidentally bumped into the cloaky with your 1000 man alliance, and if the Corona is finally over!

3 Likes

perma cloaky, bubble proof, instant warpable, did I miss anything from my troll fit?

Youā€™re missing tank to not get smartbombed.

1 Like

And ability to fire weapons while cloaked. Donā€™t forget that

1 Like

For crying out loudā€¦this is not the only solution. JFC.

:roll_eyes: