Main AFK cloaky thread

:slight_smile:

Well I assume they are directly managing the AWS instance or whatever, but with different machines using different network connections and IPs, one can only imagine the chance of hiccups is much higher then when the local chat data was sent over the main connection between the client and TQ.

We will have to wait and see how reliable they can get it.

At the very least they’ve introduced potential network lag.

For sure. And the possibility that the server hosting local chat goes down while TQ still runs meaning the temporary loss of local, something that was impossible before.

One has to wonder how CCP will deal with reimbursement requests when that happens the first time. Will they give in to the whining, or will they hold their ground and tell people tough, local chat isn’t suppose to be an intel tool and is just for you know, chatting.

Interesting times ahead.

I’m liming thiz change more and more, probably not for any of the reasons CCPintended :smiley:

1 Like

I’d like to make a suggestion. Maybe its been suggested before but here it is.

How about a light weight script/charge to run a cloak? scale it in a way that a frig can cloak for several hours before it will need to refill. larger ships would use more charges per cycle and so could cloak for several hours as well. could add some system effects to wormholes to effect the usage of those charges to increase or even decrease the amount of time one could cloak without heading back for a reload. I’ve got nothing against cloaky camping but. its a bit OP, A counter like this seems fair to me.

Some kind of fuel/timer/etc has been mentioned many times. The problem is you are changing the function of a perfectly fine group of modules because some people in one area of space are scared to undock with someone in local. This has nothing to do with cloaks and everything to do with the psychology of those players.

2 Likes

You are right. It is a problem of psychology for these players. However its a counterless mechanic at this point. I think these people have ample right to be upset. Somebody camps your system you dont know what they are in or if they have the power to drop hundreds of supers on you. So they should risk their ships for the sake of an unknown? or dock up an hide? its the only options given them. there is no current ability to combat this. with a fuel they may have a chance to catch the camper when fuel runs out. or what ever else.

It isn’t counterless, the module itself is it’s own counter. Engage cloak, reduce your ISK making capability to zero.

There are also many counters to cloakies in system, many previously detailed here. We have to contend with cloakies in system all the time in WH space, and those who aren’t scared of undocking in Null with someone in local do the same. The counters are there, but some are unwilling to compromise their maximum ISK per hour capabilities to actually deal with them.

I’m not advocating AFK cloaking here, it just isn’t an issue to me. You deal with the cloaky and make ISK, or you hide and make nothing. That’s a player choice, not a mechanics driven choice.

1 Like

sounds like a difference of opinion to me. and thats fine. point is i stated my opinion. seems like a counterless mechanic to me. if somebody logs in at down time, i work for a living and down time is in the middle of the night for me. i cannot be on for that to attempt to catch them. they camp 23 hours. nothing can be done to get rid of him. that is counterless. as i said. you would have the option to rough it and go anyhow. or hide and hope. neither are counters. only play options. a counter would give you the chance to rid the threat. im off to work. great chat thank you. have a good day.

The counters exist. Just because you don’t want to acknowledge them doesn’t mean they stop existing, therefor your opinion that there is no counter is irrelevant.

1 Like

whats the counter? and arguing nature just took a dumb turn. this is a video game with constructed mechanics. its no where near the same as laws of nature.

There’s a search function in the upper right corner. Make use of it.

A fact is a fact. It doesn’t become an opinion just because you don’t like it.

1 Like

the only counter i can think of would be to login before camper. prep to scan down. be faster then they can cloak. beyond that there is no “counter” other then baiting. IF they take the bait. IF they are even home. not good enough. im sorry if you enjoy cloaky camping and you want to argue for it. but thats a pretty thin string to hold on to. every function every ship in the game has a hard counter. except cloaking. and im not even asking for a hard counter. im asking for a soft counter. have it run on a light weight fuel source that would allow the camper to cloak for several hours without having to refill. it forces real counter options. that person has to leave and get fuel and come back. these people have REAL options to fight back with. its a fair option i think for both sides. im not asking for some new scan mechanic that could scan them down anyway. im not asking for getting rid of cloaking. its just a simple added element. some type of charges. light weight so you could run for HOURS wormholes could have system effects that bump that to days if ccp thinks thats justified. its a simple yet very fair and effective solution.
now i really gotta get to work. take care.

What you’re really asking for is 100% risk-free nullsec space. Just admit it. Tough luck, you’re not going to get it. Ever.

And like I said, use the search function. Counters exist and that’s a fact. You refusing to acknowledge them doesn’t change that fact.

But let’s assume for a moment afk cloaking is dealt with and nothing else changes. Then where’s the counter to local? Oh right, it’s gone. Your infallible intel tool has been made 100% reliable, the last variable introducing doubt removed.

CCP isn’t going to change anything about cloaking without also changing the way local works. Are you prepared to give up your perfect intel tool?

not even going to bother reading that past the first line. 100% risk free space is a dumb interpretation of what a fuel source for cloaks would do. and there would be counters to it for the campers as well. you could cycle 2 campers into a system for full coverage if you want. the point is it gives the system occupants a REAL option to fight back.

please explain to me how exactly, lets say my interpretation for a frig running cloak for “hours” on a fuel source is 6 hours. how does you being limited to 6 hours of cloak fuel effect local in any way? you bring in a second at 5.75 hours and go refill the first. 23 hour cloak coverage. the only difference really is now i have a chance to catch you coming and going.

longer then your usual replies… thats because it wouldnt make any difference to how local works. that absolutely makes ZERO sense. maybe you are just pissed the idea would actually make you have to attend to some of your alts vs set them and forget them. either way i dont care. worst case for me i jump to another system and rat away. ive never had a problem. but by the extensive amount of times this subject is brought up. its clear that maybe something should be done. and this solution sounds very reasonable for both sides. you can still camp 23 hours a day you just have to put some effort into it. and for the occupants they might be able to catch you given more chances.

There is no reason to break cloaks everywhere so you can farm in safety in nullsec.

1 Like

So, I didn’t answer in the 8-minute window between your two posts and that’s reason enough for you to claim that you’re right and I’m acknowledging it?

That’s seriously the dumbest thing I’ve ever read on these forums.

They have been provided for in this thread and in the old stickied AFK cloaking thread on the old forums.

You can use google, EVE Search, and even the search function here on these forums to find some of the suggested counters.

You can look at the killboards to see when the camper is most active. You can even look to see if he works alone or with a group of BLOPs.

You can get in a standing fleet. You can get on voice comms. This way if anyone attacks you, the others can warp in and provide assistance. You can even rat in a group with PvP fit ships. Now they might not even want to drop you. If you have 5 PvP ishtars…how much DPS can they crap out? How long will the BLOPs guys last against that?

You can also move next door. If he follows you: ATK, if he doesn’t: AFK.

You can try to bait him by yourself in a squishy target. For example, pretend you are doing your PI stuff. Be somewhat clever in trying to avoid being ganked, but do give an opportunity such as going through the gates periodically. If he doesn’t bite then chances are he is AFK.

This has been gone over many times in the past.

As for all the bad ideas…start here.

1 Like