[March] Entosis Link and Sov Changes

This could all be fixed much more easily if jump drives had a warm-up time, instead of a cooldown time.

@ Petti Perusheppu - wrong thread.

Agreed, it makes it very difficult if not impossible for the little guy to defend thier space on even footing as the attacker. It makes it so the attacker can repair the entosising ship and prevent destruction and do this faster so the defender has no time to prevent this. It favors the older and more powerful alliances and gives them free reign and lack of fear. I feel it will ultimately stagnate Null Sec where you have 3 maybe 4 Mega-Coalitions holding everything and the smaller alliances will cease to exist. Not a good change at all!

1 Like

Why do you think you deserve to be on an even footing with a much larger alliance? EVE has never been about even fights or honour. It’s been a savage jungle from the start. There are winners and losers.

Eve has literally always been 3-5 big blocs and small scatterings around the fringes with an array of nips/agreements.

Requiring defenders to actually defend their space is not going to change that. All Fozzie Sov was meant to do was make it manageable to take SOV without requiring a super fleet to chew through 100m of HP. It wasn’t supposed to make fights EZ for alphas. Sov SHOULD encourage actual combat. But, if your fleet already manages to control the field, you shouldn’t have to spend additional hours grinding in giant super fleets. That was the intended benefit to smaller alliances and that remains.

As a bonus, this allows alliances to make a strategic decision on whether to deploy their capitals elsewhere for MORE content (which is good for EVE) as opposed to always being bogged down by structure grinding.

tl;dr don’t be a bitch

1 Like

Certainly helps in some ways. The 50km T2 may be a bit too short but let’s see how it goes. However one thing is glaringly overlooked in this update: passive node regen. CCP should take this opportunity to revise the passive regen system to provide active attackers with a more level playing field. An example of this would be disabling defensive regen if a node has been captured within X period of time.

Currently defenders’ nodes passively capture for their side over the course of the timer. This is only stopped if that node is being actively entosised by an attacker. This stated goal of this was to nerf troll entosising by freeing up a defender from having to manually capture nodes even if an attacker wasn’t serious about following up.

Nothing wrong with that goal however the system goes further. ALL neutal nodes regen, even if an attacker is actually present and engaged on one or more of them. The practical effect of this is requiring a grater-than-one minimum number of pilots to be devoted to entosising for an attack to be successful and adding a non-trivial amount of time to capture attempts that have less than one entosis attacker assigned to EACH free node.

This hampers smaller groups even in low ADM systems and adds more tedium than an active attacker deserves.

Unless they have the numbers to ALPHA your ship. Which is the entire point of claw fleet, otherwise they’d use autocannons not artys. Reps don’t mean ■■■■ when u get alpha’d.

We’re back to exactly that. “Super fleet or gtfo” sov.

Oh I imagine blobbers and their CSM are happy.

before ceptors gained nullification any half decent ceptor pilot could get out of a bubbled gate and be on his way pretty fuckin quickly, unless the camp was really well done and not shoddy as hell.

nullification changed that entirely. now people use ceptors to get through any choke point. ive ones that can go straight through smartbomb camps and still have sub 2 sec align times cloak probes and cyno with enough space to light it. u remove nullification suddently FLYING your ceptor becomes a skill again. and well run gatecamps mean something!

not only that but the geograp[hy of constellations makes for great gameplay when it comes to sov warfare, cause right now it means jack ■■■■.

2 Likes

This was also Pre Anti-MWD-Scram…

We’re not though. Supers make no real sense unless things escalate, but that involves GRID CONTROL

Super usage is completely independent on the mechanics of the SOV system. That’s good. IF you ■■■■ w/ a party that has supers, they’re going to use them. They should be able to.

1 Like

Not a fan of these changes tbh … We’ll now just see uber brick tanked ships with a cyno fitted ready to jump in Fax’s … They’ll just make it easier for the big boys to win at sov warfare and harder for the little alliance.

The best change you could make to sov warfare is remove the ability for anything bigger than a battleship to use an Entosis Link.

To reference a comment that was made in the Dev Blog, you don’t want a return to capital supremacy but in this day and age, all the big boys like PL, NCdot, Goons etc all have Capital Cache’s in almost every NPC Nullsec area. CCP you guys will be able to check that info and get an accurate figure … By allowing capitals to use Entosis Links you’re encouraging the big players to use their capital umbrella to make it easier to ■■■■ on the little guy.

2 Likes

You can’t break bs+fax duo without dreads.

You don’t have dreads? No sov.

Enemy jumps in supers to farm dreads.

You don’t have super blob? No sov.

Welcome back, 2015, no supercap blob = no sov.

5 Likes

Sov mechanics are not, and have never had the interests of the ‘Little Guy’ as a concern. At all, and it never will, and it never should.

1 Like

This proposed set of changes are overall a massive mistake. I have spoken to several small alliances and we all so far agree that this change is going to kill small scale sov holding. I will be seeing about getting a joint statement written up.

It is also worth mentioning that these changes will mesh with the radical jump changes proposed, which as I state below, will result in an expansion of rental empires.

Right now, Eve is moving back in the direction of full power bloc control. Rather than let small-mid sized alliances exist independently, blocs would rather just create more rental space (as opposed to the PvP centric nullsec most claim to desire). Under these proposed changes, rather than having to make a strategic commitment involving either massive force which can disperse and/or effective tactics, blocs will be able to use ham fisted force. Sovereignty should not be easy to take, and that means it should not be something that can be taken with a one-off large F1 monkey form up.

Blocs can simply call up a blob of logistics ships (even T1 would suffice) in a node team and even if the entire node team dies, it is extremely likely that the entosis ship(s) will survive to the completion of the node. This issue is amplified by larger node percentages. As the node team gets engaged, the main bloc fleet would have more than enough time move in and force an engagement on that node as other nodes are completed elsewhere. The current sov meta allows for mobile warfare, and forces N+1 entities to think about how to handle sovereignty combat without using a monolithic force - these changes will push the meta significantly in the opposite direction.

Allow remote assistance to subcapital ships with Entosis Links running (including remote reps)

I can appreciate the desire to move away from the so-called “Fozzieclaw” meta, but as stated above, it is trading one problem for another.

Significantly reduced max ranges: 20km for T1 and 50km for T2

I’m pretty here nor there about this aspect of the proposed changes. 500MN Rapiers are annoying to catch because you need to get them pretty much right as they start their cycle or they are extremely likely to escape. On the other hand, this also means that entosis are generally speaking guaranteed to get caught, which seems like a bit of a nuisance considering the aforementioned problem of node logistics teams.

Personally, I’d say nerfing the range by half or a bit more than half of current should be more than sufficient. Makes things easier to catch while not turning every node into a death trap or quagmire.

Significantly reduced fitting requirements for the T2 module: 20 power grid and 5 CPU

Seems like a fair trade for the range, but again I don’t think the change as is is the best solution.

+100% sensor strength to any ship with an active cycling Entosis Link

This change I do like. ECM spam during sov warfare, especially with T1 links is awful.

1 Like

Overall, this is a step forward, but honestly, we need Dominion sov back to force large consolidated battles instead of small-scale skirmish warfare. The jump fatigue changes say “Go forth and storm the galaxy with your caps and supers.” but the tethering changes say “We don’t want you to have a safe way to get your newly capable caps and supers to the area of operations.”, honestly, I would bin the tethering changes if you guys really want to see meaningful cap fights.

It’s also noteworthy that in sov grinds, there’s no reason now to commit vast numbers of caps to a grid to defend a node because they simply can’t be moved in time to defend a constellation effectively. If you want B-R cap fights to happen again, you need a sov system that forces a consolidated conflict to occurr on one grid in one system that both sides need to commit ships to in order to accomplish anything, otherwise it’s just a bunch of highly mobile subcaps engaging in some sabre rattling over a node and then moving on, with nothing really being accomplished.

You guys are taking steps in the right direction after literally years of not listening to us on the matter, and I applaud that, but we never wanted this system in the first place, and if you really want people to appreciate some changes, toss Fizzlesov and bring back a damage and structure based sov system, or tie it to a citadel module.

1 Like

It’s much easier for CCP to stop the hamsters from burning out if the fights are split among more area’s, also strategically more difficult to fight like this and allows smaller factions to stand a bigger chance of winning compared to 1 location bigger blob wins.

1 Like

If the node changes are fine, the entosis changes favor the large blocks.

To go along these changes, please consider the following:

• prevent any logistic ship of any size or ships with remote repairs modules fitted to use bridges or jump bridges.
  • Only use the current entosis timers in the capital system of an alliance. Decrease the attack timers by 10% and increase the defense timers by 10% for each system farther from the alliance’s capital system (i.e the farthest a system is from the alliance’s capital, the faster it can be flipped, and the longer it takes to get it back).

Like where? with coming jump changes also there is no where and lets be honest, its pretty much like that now. I suppose the wording is key but if it buffs small groups it buffs everyone, big groups get buffed = harder for small groups.
Personally if these changes are going through you need to take away chat ‘intel’ in nullsec with possibly medium but defo low adm at the very least. Large groups need to be staged in or around their systems actually using the space then; xxdeath, tri (was) init and many others have huge swathes of space theyre not using except for leasing and the defence of such systems goes far far away from any of those entities wanting content from them, and believe me i do know that as a fact.

Actually spam claws will still be viable, just field larger numbers or ping nodes; other classes/doctrines will be used by defenders, ravens with mjd dessies for example… basically attackers have even fewer options. And as we have seen so far, no one is attacking anyones sov except over insmother; and thats likely huge xxdeath fleets in all constellation systems - pretty much the same way they took it for tri in the first place.

In this instance i feel you are very very wrong this only empower groups that want to lease space, large groups with a lot of supers. if your not one of the main groups wit the new planned jump changes now is likely an even worse time to drop a fax ongrid and ‘go full ret… triage’
Leasing space imo is not a good thing and handing all of nullsec to the few large alliances and coalitions out there - you think this is good game mechanics?

The changes do seem to be to force large entities to fight for their space, its not a bad ideai just dont see that happening.

I think you are probably one of those people that hate kiters because you cant do it or cabt catch them…

i dont think renting space is an intended feature of sov mechanics, this only exasperates the issue. And yes the big groups will start using massive blobs again to hold space far away from where they live.

Not in the slightest.

I wouldnt but id be interested to hear what your thinking, pm me dude :slight_smile:

All in all i dont think speeding up entosising isnt really changing anything just pushing more in favour of the groups that already have sov, organised or not and living on the other side of new eden; it will be incredibly difficult to wrestle even low adm systems out of their control.

+100% sensor strength to any ship with an active cycling entosis link; thats an interesting item, i hope you guys remember all the things you can use an entosis node on…

Man we need a small upwell deployable structure that does entosis, A mobile depot like structure with mobile depot like health. It enters RF it stops working.

Only on the structure timer. You’ve gotta RF it twice to get it to stop holding the node open.