Matari Tattoos On Non Matari

that was exactly my point. so what if someone wears a poor imitation of one of our markings, we know its worthless, they know its worthless. so what value is there in making a big deal about it.

on the other hand, if we go around violently assaulting people for those poor imitations, then we lend credence to the idea that we are nothing more than brutal savages. which only validates the amarr excuse of keeping us enslaved “for our own good.”

or maybe i’ve just been holding our people to too high a standard.

1 Like

There is no validation for it. The Amarr don’t even believe it, they just expect everyone else to either buy it for the sake of political expediency, or to stay quiet because they don’t want to ‘validate’ it. ‘See how they whine about it? Clearly, they can’t comport themselves as adults’.

It doesn’t matter what we do, or say, or what we don’t. They will find justifications and excuses enough to let them cling to the barbaric practices they use to maintain their power.

3 Likes

I really don’t think you understand what validating them means.

if someone claims that I am a slaver, and then I go around selling slaves, I am validating their claims. but if I instead go around freeing slaves, then I am proving them wrong. its not going to change their claim, or their belief, but the point isn’t to change THEIR mind about it. its to change everyone elses.

when the amarr say that we are violent and savage, and then we go out and do violent and savage things to others, including (as in the initial example) people who don’t know any better and are, at least in theory, on our side. then all we are doing is proving them right.

so again, if we can all agree that some shitty tattoo on some dumb gallente kid, is not in fact a voluval even if it looks vaguely similar. should we respond in a violent and savage manner to them? or should we just get on with our lives and let the dumb kid figure ■■■■ out on his own.

now… if the kid is going around claiming that it is real, and that it was gifted to him by the sanmatar himself or some ■■■■, yeah… in that particular case corrective action is probably warranted. but for some knock off imitation, why waste the energy.

2 Likes

I’ll just buy some knock off paper copies of the scriptures and use them for toilet paper, and shout from the rooftops my intentions, it’s not my fault they find desecrating the scriptures offensive, they’re just cheap copies after all.

Is that not offensive?

3 Likes

not in the slightest. and if they choose to get their panties in a twist over it, i’d be saying the exact same thing as I am about this. although… I am now wondering how well pax amarria print toilet paper would sell… I should contact the patent office.

1 Like

With respect, I kinda doubt that’s the official stance, understandably.

1 Like

So, Mr. Tyrson?

You might want to actually read that book before you go doing such a thing. It’s not scripture (though I understand it’s under consideration for inclusion).

Emperor Heideran VII was a pretty interesting person.

(The Amarrian scriptures don’t fit in a book. I gather they’re pretty hard to fit into a library.)

1 Like

I actually have been meaning to give it a read at some point. been looking into the amarr faith here and there. just been getting caught up in other projects too often to have followed through yet.

1 Like

It’s … almost more philosophy than faith? I mean, it addresses both, and nothing much an Amarrian emperor says can really be separated from the Rite, but …

Suffice to say House Sarum would probably be thrilled (very quietly) if you made their point for them like that.

1 Like

It means giving their claims legitimacy and validity in the eyes of others. And as I said: there is no validation. The other powers do not care. They don’t want to be involved. The State prefers to mind its own business, and the Federation has no stomach for upsetting the status quo.

It does not matter what they think. It does not matter if they find the Empire’s claims valid or not. They will not lift a finger to actively oppose slavery, and they will not risk the potentially bloody fallout involved in aligning against us. The State will remain where it is—technically neutral but functionally aligned with the Empire—no matter how well we ‘behave’ or how indisputable our case becomes. They simply cannot afford to lose the support of the Golden Fleet. And the Federation will not abandon the Republic, regardless of the ‘validation’ the Empire waves around. They cannot afford to find themselves alone against the combined power of the Empire and the State.

Their opinions will not result in change. So their opinions mean nothing.

2 Likes

Mr Tyrson i have to ask, would you be ok with someone taking your family name and it’s achivements, memories for their own?. Would you just then shrug it off, just because they might have made a spelling error or turned your memorials into cheap baubles?.
Would you really be ok with that just because it’s copies and perhaps a really bad copy?..

4 Likes

Depends… can I get a free bobble-head?

1 Like

And you choose to make light of this instead of giving an answer, i must say i am somewhat dissapointed…

1 Like

that is my answer, i’m sorry if it wasn’t as super serious and offended as you thought it should be. but if you would like me to elaborate.

no I wouldn’t care if someone took my family name, there are probably other families out there already that share it but aren’t at all related. and there are probably others out there that I am related to that no longer share the name due to inter-clan marriages. hell probably have some family scattered about that I don’t even know.
so what do I care if they are using a name or making claims that are vaguely similar to me? I know they aren’t one of mine, they know it, anyone who knows me well enough to care knows it.

if they do nothing of value with it and end up just selling cheap memorial baubles in some ass end station, then yeah, i’d like a bobble head in my image to commemorate a kinda weird chance encounter, its not like anyone will remember their name, or mine for that matter in 100 years. if they actually make something of it, then i’d probably want a cut. and frankly… be impressed that they managed to do more with it than 99% of those born to it.

as far as the original topic though, non-matari wearing matari-esque tattoos… ■■■■ it. imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. a tattoo will never be the same thing as a voluval anyways, but not all of us have one to begin with. and really there are two options, either they live up to the markings or they don’t. if they don’t, well most matari who got lucky and ended up with a fancy voluval don’t live up to theirs either.
and if they do live up to them? hell, they probably deserve it more than most of us, since they managed to live up to the marking even without the power of a tribe pushing them towards it.

4 Likes

Excellent well thought out reply, eventhough i disagree. I can see your point of view…

1 Like

I also have a very common name; I’ve heard of Ronukens across New Eden. Even met someone with a name almost the same as mine the other day, and I don’t think we’re related. So the name itself is somewhat watered down, but that doesn’t change my attachment to my family and clan. And it doesn’t change that I would be embarrassed by a sorry-ass Caldari Ronuken, even if there’s no relation between us at all.

And yet the tattoos, Voluval marks or otherwise, are another matter entirely. Mine detail my survival of a series of awful events, and they’re very personal to me. Maybe a Gallente punk who decides to appropriate it for herself would also have experienced the depths of grief and loss that I have, or maybe they’d just think it looks cool. Doesn’t matter to me. I would still give them a strongly-worded lecture (on a good day) on why they could never understand how we Matari develop our tattoos, the traditions and meanings that go into it. That understanding is at the center of all of our tattoos and marks.

But I suppose the lesson here is that we all live our lives: some of us are okay with others using our tattoos, some of us would like to teach the Gallente youth on why it’s not appropriate, and some of us would punch posers in the face.

2 Likes

And I’m willing to admit a level of bias that exists in my opinion as well. None of my markings have any particular meaning to me. I wear whatever I feel is appropriate for the circumstances. So I’m not nearly as… traditional… in my views on them. Nano-tattoos and heavy artillery possibly the two best inventions our people ever made.

3 Likes

Hey good job, we were trying to tell you this like several times already.

4 Likes

yna its kinda touchin to see

lookin a these sentimieunts en all the variety n provenance from all across the clusters persons n groups of persons its super fuxin nice really seein everybody united in one consistiment thing. like a question it is not, this ■■■■ is settled wisdoms

this universal awareness and cluster-spanning agreemint being : gallente are trash

1. ye thanx

2. gettin a voluvel

3. acceptin bribes to not get yours

3 Likes
  1. get some better designers working on your ship hulls. the internals are sexy but how can a culture that prides itself on artistry and aesthetics create such ugly ships… do that and I might not ■■■■ on gallente quite as much.

2. I… don’t actually know if you can… like actually, the voluval ceremony is more than just getting a tattoo, I think there is a genetic component involved, and i’m frankly not entirely certain if it would even work on you… that being said… if you find someone willing to attempt it on you, let me know, i’m vaguely curious what mine would be and would like a word with them as well.

3. will you accept bribes to mimic specific peoples markings… because I could have a lot of fun with that.

1 Like