Meaningful Content for Casual Player?

There is certainly more to “content” than simple PvP, but PvP is the only real form of “content” that you need to actually search for. I mean, if someone wants to be an industrialist then that sort of content is very straight forward. I suppose there is searching involved, but not in the same way. The low tax rate areas aren’t actively running away from you or looking to shoot you back :slight_smile: It’s much easier to . . . prosecute . . . other forms of content than it is PvP.

Honestly, PvP would be good to find. But I really do mean “meaningful content.” But I’ve done the PI thing. It generates income and not much else. I’ve done the exploration thing. It generates income and not much else. In the very early stages I did the mining thing. At first I was so excited when I could make a million credits with each haul of my venture . . . and then I realized just how much of a pittance that was . . . and it was just income and not much else, in any case. Now, tie any of those activities into something that actually MATTERS, like supporting a corporation where you know that the PI materials you provided is the reason why your citadel has fuel in it, well then that’s meaningful content (IMO). If you are in a corporation that builds its own ships, then any resources you mine and give to the corp becomes meaningful content, especially if you’re sitting in a ship you helped build. Meaningful. But again, ANY of these activities that simply net an income and little else = not meaningful (again, IMO).

PvP, I’m thinking, is meaningful because of the thrill of the experience itself PLUS the fact that it has a very immediate impact on both you and the target as in all likelihood, SOMEONE is going to get blown up.

Hey dude im in the same situation. Im in a nice corp now of bellends besicaly we all kind of have limited time. We hang in low sec and try to do all we can to enjoi thr game while beeing togheter as a team. Come join us for a few days have some fun. You are not the only one in this situation we added tot our group. Search for smartbomb syndicate corp in eve. Fly safe

1 Like

The scanning down mission runners thing is called, “Suspect Baiting” and is exactly as you describe. You scan down some bear doing L4s in his pimped our Battleship and you start looting, salvaging, and shooting at his MTU until he aggressors you… then it’s on.

There’s more than one way to skin a cat here, and Suspect Baiting mission runners is exactly how I got my start. I will warn you that you can spend hours scanning people and trying, all to have nothing to show for it. When you get one it makes it that much sweeter. I will link you a few things that will help you out:

1 Like

Advice on being a casual?

1 Like

Fair enough :slight_smile:

I think I’ve used a lot of wrong words in my OP. I really probably am not a casual player. For instance, I’m watching the pregame for the super bowl, but really my mind is on how I can do what Feyd describes in his blog! I will be spending a lot more time “on” this game than I do “in” this game . . . I guess I used the term casual simply because I can’t spend 6-8 hours a day (though I probably would if I could) playing. In fact, my wife does groan a bit each time she sees the now-familiar UI of EvE pop up on my screen.

Anyway, back to topic, I think I’ll definitely be exploring the possibilities of mission flipping. Does anyone have any other avenues of “content” similar to this? Or other more strange activities that still yield some fun?

Talk in local. A lot.
It… used to work.

Opportunities through social interaction.

… but don’t talk too much, else you’ll stop doing things.

Is your limited time flexible? A lot of guys in wormhole corps are “ping warriors” they log in for some PvP when the content creators find people to shoot. We have guys who will otherwise be spending time with the family but will jump onto Eve for 20 minutes when their phone goes off, then back to life.

It’s not an answer, but here’s my thoughts:

• I’m in a similar situation, bounced in and out of EVE over the years. There’s a lot here to like, but generally I only make actual progress in the game when I have several hours a day, every day, to play it. That only happens when life situation and other games conspire to leave me both spare time, and no other game I’m currently interested in.

• When I re-focus on my other games (STO, MWO, Neverwinter, LotRO, SWL etc. etc. yadda yadda), they beat out EVE because time is usually somewhat tight, and I can accomplish meaningful objectives in these games in as little as 15-30 minutes. I can pop in, get something useful done, pop out.

• In general EVE only offers that sort of quick-satisfaction activity during certain types of events. If those are on, I tend to play them. Events that feature endless grind for minimally interesting rewards, I ignore.

• Not all games can offer all things. EVE is pretty awesome, but if it is mostly only supportive of fairly intensive/less casual game play, well maybe that is the price we pay for the basic game design of sandbox, make your own story, open-ended galactic gaming.

• That said, I would be pleased to see more casual-friendly stuff in EVE. But I wouldn’t want to see it become a carebear’s paradise either. So, tough call there.

4 Likes

For me and my player that I’ll play any for like three or four months then I’ll leave it because $15a month is a lot and I need that $15 for something else if they would lower it $9.50 to 10 a month or even maybe 11 I could swing it but $15 is a lot and I’m not into NS at 9:50 to $11 I could see it sitting there just like Netflix does I like a skill train and when I play the game I play the game and when I don’t be able to get back into Eve because of rl commitments until July that’s my two cents on it they need to learn the prices to make it more feasible to let it sit there I can’t let $15 a month just sit

It is $11/month if you subscribe for a year. And $12 if you pay every 6 months. Or you can pay even less and progress your character as an Alpha using daily injectors.

Good thoughts and intelligently said.

don’t forge the cargohold expanders for the honor.

So I thought I’d give a little update… I had my first PvP experience last night. Or rather, I had my first INTENTIONAL PvP experience last night :slight_smile: I did my best to outfit an incursus as Feyd’s Blog recommended and I tracked down a level 3 mission runner in a thorax. I could manage about 96dps in my piddly little incursus but I didn’t care, I was going to see what happened. So I jump in on the guy and I really wanted to push him and see what happened so I immediately started orbiting him at 500m but I target and start firing upon his MTU. I was seriously surprised when he almost immediately aligned and GTFO’d like there was no tomorrow. It took me forever to pop the MTU and I only got about 4.5mill in loot, but it was an awesome experience! It was MEANINGFUL. I actually “engaged” another player, forced him to react and then I enjoyed the benefits! And please, 4.5mill is NOTHING in this game, I totally get that. But the victory didn’t come from the loot. It came from knowing I had taken my first baby steps into what I believe will be a much RICHER experience in EVE! Bottom line: I don’t mind spending $15/month for those kinds of experiences. In the past, if I couldn’t plex my account, I felt like a failure and like I’d wasted my time and I seriously didn’t have any fun. Far to the contrary, the experience of last night felt worth the $15 all on its own!

10 Likes

Nicely done!

I’m really happy to read this. It’s definitely hit and miss man! If you want some hands-on guidance or further teach you can contact “Bladewise” and tell him that you’re new to all this and that “Faylee Freir” sent you. He suspect baits in an Orca for that added layer of psychological warfare :wink:

Keep on pushing with it and you’ll nab a kill (it’s ok if you die too though)! Keep us up to date!!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Yeah, I was still shaking and my heart beating so hard as I dropped in on the thorax, but I figured that I’d just take the approach that my ship is already exploded, so why worry about it? Although that didn’t actually stop the shakes… but it helped me breathe :slight_smile: that’s my mindset going forward, I think. I have over a billion isk in the bank from previous ventures, I have 100mill coming in per week from very casual PI and that incursus cost me around 12 mill. So I just need to get out there and blow a bunch of them up! I’ll have the skills trained to fly an ishkur and shoot void ammo in less than a week, as well!

1 Like

I create this char for some suicidal purpose. And find some pvp on undock of noob spawn station. Some newbe duel spammer ask about fight while I end career agent. That time i managed route to uedama orbiting noobie station. https://zkillboard.com/kill/74614538/ Completely alfa with almost beginning skills. I redeemed invitation skillpoints much latter. So that 9 days old spammer was surprized by my 2 hours incursus. To summarize this post - you can find pvp content anywhere, no skills no pimped ships, meaningful only desire!! Be smart fly dangerous and unexpected)))

Next update! I learned tonight that shooting someone’s wrecks to get their attention also gets the attention of Concord!! I swore I wouldn’t dock again until I found a way to blow up my Incursus and I found it! :smiley:

2 Likes

Solo mining is the most engaging and fun content in EVE. A few days of 16 hour sessions and you will be hooked.

Good luck out there.

This is a little thing I’ve been working on for a while now on and off. Maybe you’ll find some inspiration…

Here’s a link to my blog as well… it starts off at the beginning with me telling stories of doing exactly what you’re doing now and how I’ve progressed.

Keep on at it!