Mechanics of rewarding for a change of activity

Today I encountered an interesting situation.
I’ll start with a preface. For the last month I have been doing scanning, going through a new one event, doing PVP. I have not been involved in Expeditions 4/10 for a long time.
Today I decided to go through the daily task to destroy the NPC, flew to the neighboring system from Jita and got 4/10 from the first anomaly, the maximum possible drop dropped from it.
I also noticed that if after a break you start to go through the abbisals, that the first few give much more than the next. When scanning a similar situation, if you study constantly, then over time you will come across almost empty anomalies.
Accordingly, the question. Is it known anything about similar mechanics in the game? And I’m interested in the time needed to get a boost of loot :slight_smile:
There are no mechanics for loot in PVP, with 1.6 billion tenge it turns out 40 million.

1 Like

This is all in your head.
There are no such mechanics.

4 Likes

Maybe.
Getting maximum loot from 4/10 and knocking it out on the first try really looks weird. There was an experience of passing 50+ anamalies without treatment of the expedition and a whole series of completed 4/10 with no loot.

You got normal or unlucky performance with loot drops a lot, and then got very lucky once. That’s statistically normal.

1 Like

It’s not a maybe.
There are no such mechanics that do what you’re describing. It’s all in your head.

1 Like

The human brain is wired to look for patterns within chaos or randomness. Looking for objects in the clouds for example. Seeing a figure or object in wood grain or a stain. The RNG often appears to have a pattern, but actually is just a smaller sample size of a huge overall data pool that the observer is overlooking. It can be, however, frustrating as h=ll.

4 Likes

Our brains are efficient.

Imagine a sliding window that can only “see” four coin tosses at a time (roughly the size of our memory capacity) while going through a series of results – say from 20 coin tosses. The mathematics show that the contents of that window will hold “HHHT” more often than “HHHH” (“H” and “T” stands for for heads and tails). That’s why we think tails will come after three heads in a row when tossing a coin – demonstrating that humans do make sensible use of the information we observe. If we had unlimited memory, however, we would think differently.

2 Likes

Buoytender Bob offered a good explanation of what’s probably going on. However, sometimes devs will implement hidden mechanics. I don’t think that’s what is going on here, but it’s not beyond the realm of possibility.

7 Likes

People are too discouraging …
… and those who are most incapable of recognizing patterns will always be discouraging others the most.

“When I can’t see it …
… it must be your imagination.”

1 Like

This is something I have seen several times over the years. Rookie’s / new characters getting very lucky with loot drops, be it from mission loot, belt rats or exploration sites.

I’m not talking about one off drops but consistant across several days where the younger character will get better quality loot drops than older characters doing the same content.

:woman_shrugging: … Probably in my head.

1 Like

There’s actually little reason to believe that CCP doesn’t push the odds into the rookies’ favour.
It’d work well for anyone, not just farmers.

1 Like

That explains pve. What about pvp?

:man_shrugging: Who can say? Once again, it’s not outside of the realm of possibility. Mario Kart provides a rather famous example of devs implementing a “hidden” mechanic that helps struggling players to catch up (by adjusting the chances of getting powerful items depending on current place), but I seriously doubt it’s the only one in gaming. That being said, the use of “catch-up” mechanics are probably more prevalent in party games, and other titles that are regarded as being more casual.

And, this is tangentially related at best, but it’s interesting. I was going to sum it up, but Core A Gaming’s video does an excellent job, and is entertaining to boot.

1 Like

Games need to be made to appeal to as many people as possible! The more people playing it, the better a game is going to be! Also, ban sports from schools, they only promote unfairness and unequality!

(don’t forget to like and subscribe to my EVE mining Twitch stream)

I think it’s more of a probability then a possibility. Especially since PA now owns and controls CCP.

Just look at it from a game company’s business stance, they want long term player engagement and a very good way to ensure that happens is by incorporating game mechanics that ‘Prime The Pump’ and ‘Set The Hook’ with players.

Getting rewarded right at the start encourages the player to continue and since we’re all ‘Creatures Of Habit’, we end up ‘Chasing The Dragon’ in an attempt to once again ‘Make The Big Score’ like we did at the beginning.

I see plenty of new players (literally new to the game, plus more established players who are new to exploration as content in general), try to get even a modest reward from exploration for their first week and give up because the data/relic sites have already been cherry-picked (scanned and selectively looted - they won’t de-spawn until downtime when that is done) or they just don’t find enough to make a decent income. They certainly aren’t getting showered with quality rewards right off the bat to hook them.

The rewards from exploration are there. That’s literally why the bots are farming out all of the sites within an hour of the server going live. Blame CCP for making everything in the game so bot-able, if anything.

lol, next time try harder to present a more believable scenario. In fact that load of Baloney you posted even gave an answer as to why that happens…

I do combat exploration in high sec, have done so for over 10 years. Exploration in general is very RNG and unless you run big numbers, and thus get a lot of data points, it’s impossible to try and extract patterns with any sort of accuracy. The OP just experienced “luck”, which is another word for RNG, both good as bad. Having said that, there ARE some patterns when it comes to combat exploration but it has nothing to do with what the OP suggests.

One pattern is that not all systems (of a same sec status) have the same chance of spawning a combat site. Some systems and even areas have a higher chance on having those sites than others to a point where these days I just run a very specific path and not bother with anything else. When I get escalations I of course deviate from that path and scanning there confirms my findings. But again, that’s with a lot of data points, trying to rule out RNG as much as possible.

It’s SO much not RNG that you can even recognise good areas purely by looking at the map, if you know what to look for. Not saying that you can recognise ALL areas but one of the “requirements” for a good area is fairly easy to spot. IF you know what to look for.

Another pattern is that CCP seems to toy with the settings ever so often, generally over a period of 2 weeks, where all of a sudden you get a crap ton of ship BPC for instance while normally you get almost none and then 2 weeks later it’s back to normal. That COULD be RNG of course but as said, been doing this over 10 years now and these things end up being very obvious especially because it’s always for the same length of time and generally changes on a tuesday, when they do updates.

2 Likes

The fact that sites spawn with their rewards already set demonstrates that they aren’t being rolled for whomever happens to be doing the site.