Mid Slot for Armor Industrial

oooooor I can haul billions in my dst and have 0 tank and not have an issue

tank is a red haring not a solution

Until that one time your ship unfortunately spawns right next to an object and cannot cloak and you lose those billions in your untanked DST.

Tank is an additional layer of security. Ignoring it is foolish, but donā€™t let it be the main layer of security either.

again 6 years later and not had that happen.

also if part of your solution is keeping cargo low because for some reason gankers never just roll the dice. I would need to be unable to cloak twice in the same trip.

why? it works on them too

1 Like

To be fair, you only need to do the dangerous part of the trip (the one next to the trade hub) multiple times if you want to keep cargo low.

Gankers usually donā€™t sit in the middle of nowhere to gank, theyā€™re on main routes and in trade hubs in my (limited) HS experience.

so youā€™re unlikely situation is simply more unlikely?

Oh, so in the middle of backwater high sec autopilot means ā€œwaste time as ship plods towards the gateā€ instead of ā€œIā€™m someoneā€™s lunchā€

Yes. EVE is all about risks and probabilities.

If you want to minimise risk, you donā€™t need to take all precautions equally at every place in the game, you take the appropriate precautions based on your location.

Iā€™ll simply dock at and warp from random NPC stations in high sec, but Iā€™ll always use my insta-undock and insta-dock bookmarks when Iā€™m in Jita for example.

1 Like

That is a risk you may be willing to take. Donā€™t blame me when someone notices and blows you up anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Nope: it means ā€œIā€™m someoneā€™s lunch but heā€™s late down to eat and Iā€™m wasting time plodding to the gate waiting for him to arriveā€

Meanwhile in the rest of EVE, j/k. I think you are looking at something that is not common outside Jita and the ends of the trade routes.

I use DST to retrieve PI from low sec planets and the ships there are fit for a variety of situations because what comes through the gate next may not be defensless.

Jita is part of high sec so it is a valid example to our discussion

Of course gank Tornados are also used outside Jita, but if youā€™re looking for a Tornado fit that is likely a gank Tornado fit it makes sense to look for Tornados that died in Jita.

By the way, would you say a DST is a better choice in low sec to haul PI than an Epithal? And what fit would you use?
I use Epithals in null (partially because itā€™s much easier to train into an Epithal on all PI accounts than DST), but Iā€™m wondering about your reasons for a DST.

Right but Jita is also a unique and wonderful place :slight_smile:

No, the problem is you arenā€™t going to beat gankers by out-tanking them. Their entire job is to put enough DPS out to kill you before CONCORD shows up. Trying to beat someone at their own game rarely works.

Haulers have to work on stealth or not being worth the gank, so you use MWD-Cloak or carry low value stuff. If youā€™re worth ganking, but not stealthy, and donā€™t have some other trick (scouts, less-travelled routes, WHs) youā€™re going to get ganked pretty quickly.

In that case it would be worth tanking, sure. But usually, T1 industrial tank doesnā€™t save anyone.

Mostly historical, at one time a DST was pretty good at avoiding gate camps. It has the +2 warp built in so adding WCS used to make it immune to every tackle in low except HICs. HICs used to have a speed debuff when they used their tackle and so you could fit stasis and outrun the tackle in many cases.

They removed the speed debuff and changed WCS so now it may or may not be the best choice due to cost.

1 Like

Any ship can be killed, you wonā€™t be 100% safe no matter how you tank your ship or what tricks you use.

But a bare minimum of tank on your ship will stop some solo gankers from being able to kill it.

1 Like

That is true

Tama, amarr, hek. Just to name a few