Tech III idea: Multipurpose Industrial Ships

Tech II Transport ships are incredibly handy, but I feel that industrial ship concepts could be taken further by using relic tech to create a subsystem-governed hull similar to the T3Cs that can be reconfigured for specific purposes. Thus, the Multipurpose Industrial Ship (MIS).

Much like the Strategic Cruiser, the MIS uses subsystems to customize bonus attributes and fitting slots to allow a capsuleer to create a vessel perfectly suited for their desired role without too much overlap with T1 or T2 ships. Here’s some of the ideas I had in mind for the MIS:

Amarr: Supplanter
Amarr Propulsion Subsystems
Supplanter Propulsion - Interdiction Nullifier
+5% agility per level, immunity to webs, scrams and dictors
Supplanter Propulsion - Enhanced Afterburner
x2 afterburner speed per level, -10% cap drain per level
Supplanter Propulsion - Specialized Cooling
-10% overheat damage per level
Supplanter Propulsion - Advanced Sublight Drives
+10% sublight velocity per level, -50% align time
Amarr Industrial Subsystems
Supplanter Industrial - Improved Planck Field Generator
+5000m3 cargo capacity per level
Supplanter Industrial - Fleet Hangar
Adds Fleet Hangar to ship
Supplanter Industrial - Mineral Hold
Adds Mineral Hold to ship
Supplanter Industrial - Planetary Interaction
Adds Planetary Commodities Hold and Command Center Hold

Gallente: Mabon
Gallente Propulsion Subsystems
Mabon Propulsion - Interdiction Nullifier
Mabon Propulsion - Enhanced Microwarp
+20% MWD speed per level, -10% cap drain per level
Mabon Propulsion - Direct Port Injection
-50% cap drain for microwarp
Mabon Propulsion - Advanced Warp Manifold
+0.5AU/s warp speed per level
Gallente Industrial Subsystems
Mabon Industrial - Lunar Commodities Hold
Adds Lunar Commodities Hold (for carrying Moon Materials)
Mabon Industrial - Munitions Transport
Adds Ammo Hold
Mabon Industrial - Micro Jump Support
Adds bonus high slot, allows Micro Jump Field Generator to be fitted
Mabon Industrial - Improved Planck Field Generator

Caldari: Aurochs
Caldari Propulsion Subsystems
Aurochs Propulsion - Interdiction Nullifier
Aurochs Propulsion - Enhanced Afterburner
Aurochs Propulsion - Micro Jump Support
Allows fitting of Large Micro Jump Drive, -50% to MJD cooldown
Aurochs Propulsion - Advanced Warp Manifold
Caldari Industrial Subsystems
Aurochs Industrial - Ore Compression Facility
Adds Ore Hold with ore compression capability; requires liquid ozone to operate, can compress a maximum of 10,000m3 every 180s
Aurochs Industrial - Upwell-Ishukone Logistics Tether
Requires liquid ozone to operate. Allows one subcapital ship to tether to the Aurochs and be repaired as if it were at a Citadel or Engineering Complex
Aurochs Industrial - Fleet Hangar
Adds a Fleet Hangar
Aurochs Industrial - Improved Planck Field Generator

Minmatar: Lifthrasir (LĂ­fĂľrasir)
Minmatar Propulsion Systems
Lifthrasir Propulsion - Interdiction Nullifier
Lifthrasir Propulsion - Enhanced Afterburner
Lifthrasir Propulsion - Direct Port Injection
-50% cap drain for microwarp
Lifthrasir Propulsion - Advanced Warp Manifold
Minmatar Industrial Systems
Lifthrasir Industrial - Improved Planck Field Generator
Lifthrasir Industrial - Mobile Ship Hangar
Adds Ship Hangar
Lifthrasir Industrial - Mobile Reactor
Adds the ability to perform basic moon material reactions
Lifthrasir Industrial - Mobile Reprocessing Facility
Allows modules and equipment in the cargo bay to be reprocessed

2 Likes

DSTs are indeed incredibly useful. I sincerely doubt that interdiction nullification will ever be offered for haulers - it’s much too powerful and most of the other stuff really isn’t necessary - the existing ships can manage just fine.

• DSTs can use MWD cloak procedure and have 2 points of warp core stabilization built in. A reasonably safe way to travel in dangerous space once you master the MWD cloak trick.
  • They can align and warp from a gate with 1 pulse of a prop mod. I use an afterburner in highsec - 8 second warp. With hyperspatial rigs and a WS-610 implant you warp at 5.5 AU/sec.
  • You can carry a reasonable amount of stuff 62500 M3 in the fleet hanger and up to 24K in the regular hold (Impel) if you are willing to sacrifice speed and tank - going wild with cargo expanders instead.

About the only change I would like to see is to have a single cargo hold instead of the split configuration. I understand why CCP didn’t do this and don’t expect it to happen but it sure would be nice!

The cloak trick is stupid and doesn’t work if you have a gatecamper with instalock (as I sadly found out in Hier). There’s only a brief interval between moving off the stargate and engaging cloak, but it’s just enough for an instalocker to stop you from engaging cloak and blasting you to bits. It’s also completely useless against anyone flying a hictor with a field generator. People need to stop pushing the cloak trick as the solution to all hauling problems and think of something better.

Interdiction nullification will give a T3 hauler the edge it needs to slip past campers and bubbles and make the bottom feeders actually work for their kills.

Also, flying a hauler without any tank is an even worse idea because you are just begging to be podded.

Immune to webs, scram and dictors? No chance.

Why do you think interceptors had their cargo capacity nerfed the second they got interdiction nullification?

Hauling with nullification is too powerful, let alone with immunity to scrams and webs and an agility bonus.

7 Likes

Done properly, you will be exposed for a single server tick before cloaking and will insta-warp when your MWD cycle ends. If someone can lock you in that 1 second exposure and apply 3 points of warp disruption before the MWD cycle ends and you warp - they win.

Fortunately, not all gate camps are setup that well or have the required low latency connection to the server.

You also have the option of using a scout or checking the map to see how many characters are in space in the system before jumping. Making industrial haulers uncatchable isn’t likely to happen in Eve.

Even if it were something CCP was willing to do, it would probably need to take up the “cargo” subsystem slot in this proposed design and offer a vastly reduced capacity, because there are a number of structures that are balanced around DST size to make them riskier to deliver and deploy.

OK, nix the nullification. What kind of subsystems would YOU come up with?

Interesting idea, but I would rather design one for ORE instead of 4, and just make it variable to use for mining and hauling.

There are already plenty of ORE ships, like the Noctis, Orca, Bowhead and Porpoise that can be used for shipping. I love the Porpoise so much, it’s incredibly versatile.

I’d be interested in a hauler that holds cargo/freight containers externally. Mechanically, it would lose agility, top speed, and warp speed according to the size of container(s) carried.

2 Likes

Oh HELL yes. You could even anchor huge containers for group mining operations.

This isn’t needed and there’s very little interesting about your proposal here.

You’ve got all of two subsystems per ship, half the bonuses on one are more or less random stuff or incredibly OP, and the other half are cargo hold selection with one having the option for a completely unrestricted 25-30k cargo hold before Expanders…

That’s power creep, nothing more and nothing less. We don’t need a massively buffed hauler, and we don’t need a hauler that’s basically just a DST or a Blockade Runner depending on how it’s feeling today. We certainly don’t need a ship that can be a hybrid of both, which seems like what this would end up being.

Oh and don’t even get me started on a 50% align buff or immunity to tackle. Just no to that, that’s broken beyond broken.

Do you even DO any industry?

As a minor industrialist, the idea of interdiction nullification has appeal, but I don’t see this has happening.

That said: if I could pop a covert ops cloak on my Deep Space Transport, I would be happier than a kitten with cat nip. Covert Ops Cloak + MJD + the large cargo capacity would be all I need. So if there was a T3 industrial in the works, it would be that in my mind and not be bound to any one Empire.

Yup, and I’m divorced enough from my own wants when evaluating stuff like this to know that this is never ever going to happen.

You’ve crammed way too much cargo space into a ship with way to much else going for it. Never mind that this doesn’t actually offer any interesting trade-offs or choices that couldn’t already be served by just picking one of the already existing hulls, except for the choice to assemble, from two pieces, something more OP than what an existing hull lets you do. Either because it aligns faster, is immune to stupid amounts of stuff, or has way more cargo space than any ship smaller than an Orca should.

The existing T3 ships offer interesting options. This just offers OP under the guise of choice.

1 Like

Oh, wow, at least you opened right up with something so laughably absurd as to obviate any need to read the rest of the post.

The cloak trick is stupid and doesn’t work if you have a gatecamper with instalock (as I sadly found out in Hier).

If you got caught, it was almost certainly pilot error on your part.

People need to stop pushing the cloak trick as the solution to all hauling problems and think of something better.

The phrase “hauling problems” is absolutely comical. Logistics in Eve has become an utterly trivial task.

I would support these changes for the sole sake of seeing people like you â– â– â– â– â–  about them, the entertainment value is too big to pass up.

You’re going to be disappointed, as there’s no chance of anything as insipid as this seeing the light of day.

If your idea amounts to nothing more than, “It’s just like the existing things, but better in every conceivable way,” it’s a non-starter.

Oh, missed this when I was replying originally.

This explains why you think something so OP is justified. You think that there’s supposed to be a 100% foolproof way to get past a gate camp in an Industrial. There isn’t. If you want to 100% avoid gate camps while hauling cargo then use scouting and/or a Blops to jump a Blockade Runner past any camps you can’t route around.

The cloak trick is nice, but it’s not supposed to be foolproof, just very hard to counter. It certainly already makes people work for their kills.

They don’t need interdiction nullification, they certainly don’t need to be immune to tackle, and they absolutely don’t need to be buffed like you’re suggesting. The idea that Industrials need to be 100% proof against gate camps is ridiculous.

I didn’t say they should ever come. I said there’s alot of entertainment value in store, if they would ever come.