Misleading Event Text - True Rewards Enclosed - Crimson Harvest 2021

The skin lines aren’t new, but the skins for those particular ships are. Moreover, they auto-inject, and there are no market entries for them. Same for they daily login reward skins (which actually look good, so I’m happy about that, at least).

1 Like

It appears that, while you do not get “punished” for running both faction sites, only the one faction you’re supposed to fight will have bounties on the mobs… even when you’re fleeted up with guys who do get bounties (coz they’re running the “right” kind of site. So yes, you do get punished.

And it must be said, auto-inject skins are a petty move on ccp’s part. What’s wrong with letting us kids trade and collect skins.smh.

5 Likes

Well, they probably do it to encourage engagement. Which, I think can be a good thing. Gets more people out in space, and running the sites, which leads to more competition and PvP opportunities. Of course, I do understand the other side of the argument. Players might have other things going on in game or in real life, which might make it hard for them to participate, or they might hate PvE, and prefer to buy or loot their skins. And then you have people who like to speculate on skins.

Honestly though, I wouldn’t sweat missing out on the reward tree skins too much, as they range from okay to crap. To me, the real prizes are the deathglow skins, which can be bought on the market (they currently come as a bonus when buying plex from the cash shop).
https://secure.eveonline.com/
No P2W

1 Like

The sites are fun, for me this is one of the best events overall (together with the egg hunting one, and even the rogue drone event but for other reasons). There’s a chance of cerebral accelerators dropping too, that’s always cool to get.

1 Like

Again, this is semantics. Nowhere in the above message does it establish what is meant by value. Green and gold have different chroma/ hexadecimal values than black and red. They are not equivalent from my standpoint of aesthetic value, which is arguably the only value an injection-only skin can hold.

Very much agreed.

Agreed. Perhaps inject-only skins are the highest value these events provide, other than kinda fun PvE and kinda unique reward items. Otherwise, I would never do the events and simply buy the skins on the market.

Re-read this after I typed the above lol.

Very neat. Thank you for all the information.

3 Likes

Cool so this entire thing is a gigantic waste of time.

Again.

Ffs CCP.

1 Like

For those who have some acquaintance with the Magic: The Gathering franchise, this article provides interesting food for thought regarding the usefulness of “rare collectibles” in a fictionnal/game setting. It’s a bit out-of-topic here, and very out-of-pod alltogether, but provides ideas on how/why/when “limited edition” items reappear.

Both readings of the term “equivalent” can be equally true at the same time — I’d go as far as saying that those interpretations are… equivalent :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m totally okay with what you say here, but at the same time I totally disagree with the idea of “misleading event text”. To give a trivial example, when I read that faction selection pop up, I would expect one side to reward afterburners and the other to reward MWDs. I never use one of these two options so, functionnally, they’re not equivalent; however, both are prop module groups, so I’d still be okay with the wording used, in the sense that “those rewards globally perform the same job”. I’d be more surprised if on side would reward with, say, energy turrets, while the other would reward with PI command center(s)… it would seem difficult to come up with any explanation as to how the one could “reply” to the other.

If it has to be a discussion on semantics / formal logic, then the resolution of this issue is all contained in that last quote: “equivalent” and “equal” are not the same thing. The notion of “value” is, philosophically, negligible.

On closer inspection, the info boxes of the SKINs from the screencaps in OP do say “applied directly” :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Then yes it DOES suck ■■■■ and IS another reason to ignore these ■■■■ events.

Wait, you mean the rewards are not equivalent?

I thought it wouldn’t matter which side I choose, but if the ship skins are different it actually does matter which side I choose.

Misleading text indeed.

1 Foot is EQUIVALENT to 0.3048 Metres

But they are not the same thing.
Argument closed.

Destroyer Arena is what you should all be thinking about. And ganking during 90% loot drops, and gate camping in Delve, and really really hoping that they don’t get your corpse.

You are focusing too much on the word ‘equivalent’. There are other parts of the message as well. For one, they literally say in the message:

so there’s no wrong choice.

Yet if you are interested in specific skins rather than ‘just give me an equivalent number of random skins for my ships’, there definitely is a wrong choice.

The message is misleading.

2 Likes

CCP makes a fun Halloween event. You make up some trash about how they’re trying to deceive us.

Reading is OP. Get gud. And HTFU!

1 Like

Its called the english language, i get that some people struggle with it

And? that has nothing to do with it, is it or is it not a skin? yes? then its equivalent, look i get that you’re upset but trying to argue that they didn’t use the english language correctly isn’t going to help you, when they very much did

Yup, and as discussed, your personal preference has nothing to do with how CCP view the rewards, you like one skin line, someone else likes the others, for CCP, the one that actually matters when making statements on behalf of CCP, see them as having the same value, hence, they are, despite what you think, equivalent

Ah, when all else fails: ad hominem.

Never said they misused the English language. In fact: they did a great job using English to enact soft deception, which English is best at, next to maybe only French.

This post is a direct dispute against what they consider “equivalent.” Perhaps their definition of entirely different skins being equivalent to one another is good enough for you, but I dispute this: they are not equal.

Every skin is different, or else they would all cost the same exact isk value on the market-- but they don’t. This is due to availability and exclusivity, but just as much due to aesthetic value.

To say aesthetic value has nothing to do with equivalence is plainly false, in that aesthetic value will directly affect isk price. I’m not the only one who places value, monetary or otherwise, on subjective good looks.

Is a metric ruler equivalent to an imperial ruler? :thinking:

The CCP is dead; long live the CCP?

2 Likes

I enjoy your breakdown. Logically, I can accept that the use of the word “equivalent” was proper in the use of the English language. In that same spirit: English is great at misleading and misdirecting.

I suspect no malice, only to say that I was fooled by their ubiquitous notions of equivalence. CCP ascribes power or value to skins differently than I and many other players do. They do not care to make a distinction in value or power regarding different colors, even though the isk market definitely does.

Poe-tay-toe, poe-tah-toe. I enjoy the English language and arguing. Thank you (all) for helping me strike an amusing chord.

1 Like

Nope, just simple fact, even some native speakers make mistakes with stuff like this, and its not even about “when all else fails”, because that would imply anything i said was incorrect, which it wasn’t

Yeah thats just you grasping at straws, there isn’t actually any deception going on, despite what you seem to think

And your dispute is noted and you were told your assumption was incorrect, in terms of actual value the rewards are equivalent, you not liking the options is entirely a personal issue and doesn’t really have any merit here, you are free to say you dislike some of the skins, but to try and claim that there is deception is just amazingly hilarious to watch

Sure, but thats a value set by the players, not by CCP, to them all these skins have the same value, hence they are equivalent, now as i’ve said you’re free to prefer one over the other, but your personal view on value again has nothing to do with the actual objective value in terms of rewards offered

Sure, but your personal view and values don’t actually matter in regards to how the rewards are structured or the wording used, so you can vent all you want but in this instance the wording is perfectly valid and from the point of view of CCP those skins have the equivalent value, much like the GalNet skins they are so proud of and think look good hold literally no value to me because in my opinion they look garbage, however as i know thats a personal preference it doesn’t actually have any relation to if rewards are objectively equivalent

Anyway, enjoy your rant i guess, although ranting is against the forum rules just an FYI

The issue is more that you’re forced to choose a side without seeing what each side’s reward is. Unless I missed something I did not know what SKINs would be offered until after I chose. So in a sense I feel like I didn’t really get a choice.

My main gripe is that by splitting up the point gain by sides they effective halved your ability to get points. But you still need to amounts you need if every site counted (i.e. a normal event). I chose Tetrimon and 4/5 of sites I have found have been Tetrimon so I’m unable to acquire points on those. Horrible idea. It wouldn’t surprise me if CCP took whatever side had the most people and tweeked it so that more of the incorrect type would spawn. It was pretty even yesterday, but today it’s damn near nothing but Tetrimon sites.

2 Likes

Wait… the rewarded SKINS auto-infected? (checks)

Pfft. What a waste of time. I just assumed these were legit rewards because why they hell would you make a Halloween event that only gives one empire’s skins. What about all the non-Amarr people who do not and have no interest in flying Amarr ships? I was wanting to get the Sarum Maller skin for another account. This event is now useless. What a waste of time. This is effectively an Amarr specific event then. But I only have a Minmatar with good exploration skills and that’s her sole role. This made me vomit a little.

Well at least there are the Cold Irons SKINS.

2 Likes

Exactly. I was miffed last event, as there were cool Minmatar skins I wanted on my main. I was told my choices would be equivalent, that it does not matter what I choose.

It does. Seems I’m not the only one who thought equivalent meant equal! No wrong choices-- but there are.

More deception by CCP. Only the players can expose it for what it is and help others in the process. Now we know and now there’s public record.