Moderation of the Forums

That would change nothing.

/woosh

1 Like

We added more members because people keep applying. :wink:

4 Likes

@ISD_Dorrim_Barstorlode thanks for keeping this thread open. I know in the past I wasn’t always as happy with the ISD moderation but this is very good how it is done now. Civil discussions with careful moderation

Keep up the good work, this goes for all the ISDs

3 Likes

In a similar way to the above message from @J_Poll, I’ve had issues with moderation in the past but I am ( as the originator of the Moderation of the Forums’ post ) very grateful to @ISD_Dorrim_Barstorlode for taking a positive and trusting step by not closing down the thread.

I just hope people on this forum respect his rationale and don’t screw it up, for all of us, by posting stuff that will get this thread shut down.

I hope this thread gives all of us a chance to intelligently and articulately discuss the theme of the post in an adult way that doesn’t personalise it, attack individuals or malign entire groups of people in broad sweeping statements, eg: all of the moderators.

Especially since one of them, ( @ISD_Dorrim_Barstorlode ) has been brave enough to give us the chance to discuss the issues as long as people keep it polite and reasonable.

3 Likes

Hello good sir @ISD_Dorrim_Barstorlode. I didn’t know how to contact you for an appeal and this is the best way I found.

You removed my comment here on the basis that is was “off
topic”.

Why is advertising the same item for sale considered “off-topic”? As far as I’m aware, there are no rules against it as it complies with every forum guideline. I did not break any forum rules.

Here is an example:

There are countless comments on person A’s sales ad pointing out that the item for sale is cheaper on person B’s sales ad. How is me pointing out that I have that item for sale cheaper than person A all of a sudden “off-topic”? If anything, I’m not clogging up the page with the exact same post that we both bump once a day.

Kindly return my comments.
Thank you.

After reviewing the situation, you did not have a sales thread up for that item, so that counts as spam. Feel free to create you own sales thread for an item you are selling.

So while this thread is somewhat of a necro, I’d like to say 2 things:

1. That I agree with all of the OP’s points
  2. Your response above is exactly the kind of thing we need to see more of on the forums. That is to say, instead of shutting something down with a rules copy-pasta and preventing all discussion, it’s nice to be able to publicly reach out to a mod and actually get a real, live response about forum moderation, and even possibly appeal a decision.

I hope that CCP understands that many of us find a “no further discussion” style of moderation extremely frustrating. Similarly, threads that are derailed shouldn’t be closed, but cleaned, and the trolls warned. Otherwise, it’s possibly to shut down opposing viewpoints just by getting mods to end a discussion.

Go easy on Bastylody, he’s an ISD newb and the least valued of them all. He doesn’t know any better. :crazy_face:

Edit: I agree with your points :face_with_monocle:

I mean I basically just complimented him.

CCP needs to revisit the “no discussion of moderation” policy. It makes the forums feel really oppressive sometimes. If someone starts attacking staff for any reason, those people should be handled individually. It’s just the right thing to do.

In fact, I’d go a step further, and even allow trolling and rants, as long as they’re cordial. If someone makes a funny but non-serious thread, or has some kind of frustration they need to vent, why not allow it? Hell, make it official, and tag the threads with something like [Rant] or [Comedy] instead of closing them. Players will be happier, and if players are happy, CCP is too.

As one of the ISD Leads, Barstorlode is the most tolerant of the discussion and explicitly says “I’m going to let this convo keep going but I’m keeping an eye on it”. I remember once a different ISD closed the thread but reopened it after he realized Barstorlode had it under watch

But that does remind me… @ISD_Dorrim_Barstorlode some time ago you said CCP-ISD were discussing revising the “Discussion of Moderation” policy - anything emerge from that?

Not quite yet. There are a bunch of projects we’re currently working on, and I’m holding my cards close to my chest.

Also my official title is Senior Team Lead. All of CCL falls under my purview. The old title was cooler and got the point across better I think.

2 Likes

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh so you’re the the King of Kings, I thought you were one of many :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t bring it up often but it is a point that does need bringing up every so often.

3 Likes

im a princess

1 Like

…understated just like in that documentary that recently came out: “Former Chicago Resident” Barack Obama…

1 Like

Keep it on topic. Only warning I’m giving.

4 Likes

Can we get a dedicated subsection for forum poop? You won’t have to give nearly as many warnings if we have a place where we can be idiots without any restrictions.

2 Likes

I’ll see what can be done.

3 Likes

Sometimes I feel like Dorrim keeps tossing me back into the Crime & Punishment forum.

1 Like