Monthly Economic Report - December 2020

So this thread, to the point I read it anyway, has gotten me so side tracked that now I want to know what Star Citizen is…
Nice one you guys.
The timing is amazing too

This is Star Citizen: https://youtu.be/sdtzjEBDDc8

All these scenes are fanmade and totally in-game

2 Likes

And they’re still accepting 7-figure donations to create new concept art!

3 Likes

Not my problem what CCP did to the ROQ and those ROQ buff did nothing to hurt my game play game play whatsoever. CCP"s attack on my game play has done more to hurt me than those buffed ROQ’s ever did.

Ore scarcity is not going anywhere and I do not trust or believe CCP one bit. They made this mass and they wont tell anyone whats going on. I truly believe CCP did this to milk the players for real money. Have you seen the price of plex? Plex is on the steady decline in game which means people are dumping a lot of plex they bought from CCP and driving down the price. That withadvertisment from CCCP saying you can get wealthy in EVE by buying plex only fuels my belief that CCP is ripping people off.

CCP

There is enough evidence to support my stance that CCP created this mess to generate plex sales. Hell they don’t even try to hide the fact that you can get wealthy in EVE now when you give CCP your hard earn money for a plex.

2 Likes

I truly believe that the BOT are a scam by CCP and probably even CCP is the one who are the BOTS. Problem, Reaction, solution is the worlds oldest tactic to trick and manipulable large groups of people. CCP is stringing the player base a long by not telling us anything so what are people suppose to think? They use the carrot to get people to think its only temporary so everyone wont rage quit at the same time. The longer CCP lets this go on the worse they animosity grows with its customers. I have 6 accounts that I pay cash to play, not plex. Its been 9 months now since CCP started attacking its subscribers and Its time they tell their customers whats going on.

2 Likes

Okay, I find those ads to be distasteful and misleading myself. But just because the money guys are making ads like that, that doesn’t mean that they are dictating game direction.

Second, a lot of players have stopped plexing many of their PvE accounts due to falling PvE incomes for mining and ratting. Naturally, this has reduced demand. Plus, if we look at sales volumes, we can see no clear evidence of more plex being sold off. True, sell volumes did go up quite a bit for a while, but if you look closely, you can see that those sell volumes seem to correlate with the plex bubble bursting, and not with resource scarcity. For example, the plex bubble burst around late May 2019, but resource scarcity didn’t begin in earnest until late December 2019. Yet we see plex sell volumes start to trend upwards around late May, and then begin to settle down around the same time as plex prices begin to stabilize. Now, I’m not saying that resource scarcity hasn’t incentivized anyone to buy plex for cash, but there certainly isn’t any compelling evidence that this has been happening at a large rate.

And, just in case you want to point to PA’s latest earning’s call, let me remind you that Eve (much like other games) has also seen a large uptick in players thanks to Covid lock downs. Thus, we cannot assume that increase revenue for Eve is due to an increase in plex sales, because there is clearly at least one other major confounding variable involved.

So, until CCP releases some hard data concerning plex sales, you’ve got nothing but a conspiracy theory that is predicated solely upon distrust, and not any actual supporting evidence.

But, we do agree on at least one thing. So, idk, maybe you’ll like my honest plex ad:

6 Likes

You’re kidding yourself if you think the money guys aren’t dictating the game’s direction. Pearl Abyss is a business.

Of course, they’re a business. Of course they’re tying to make money. But that doesn’t mean that the ad guys or the monetization director have taken over game design duties, or that the company has decided to compromise on their core vision in order to pursue anti-consumer design decisions and monetization methods.

Once again, no evidence. Just conspiracy theories.

1 Like

I get that you have a thing against conspiracy theories but is it really so hard to see the predatory monetization of ‘get wealthy, buy plex’? I don’t think they intentionally got rid of resources to jack up plex prices mind you but it’s not hard to imagine one of the higher ups saw the result and thought ‘yeah, we should do that again for sure’.

Yes, the fact that they’re continuing the exact same annual promotions that they’ve done each of the last 5 years is definitely evidence. :roll_eyes:

Except the ISK still has to get created via gameplay. Just someone else’s gameplay.

No. This is ridiculous. EVERY single MMO has gold-farmers, and they’re as automated as they possibly can be in every game. The fact that a game that’s rapidly approaching its 18th birthday can be easily automated should surprise nobody.

2 Likes

You mean PLEX prices in ISK dropping?

So your argument to try and convince someone who doesn’t believe unsubstantiated conspiracy theories, is to present them with an unsubstantiated conspiracy theory?

2 Likes

I frequently hear stories of producers, studios, publishers and the like meddling with the creative process in an attempt to increase profitability. And, of course, we can all probably think of a hundred games off the top of our heads that had blatantly anti-consumer monetization methods or were lazy cash grabs.

So, yeah, I think it’s pretty safe to assume that there are people at CCP and PA that couldn’t give a rat’s ass about creative vision, fun and engaging gameplay, and doing right by their customers. In fact, we can probably see their influence coming through with things like in game ads and selling SP directly to players. However, that doesn’t mean that CCP has gone finger-tenting evil on us either. As I’ve been arguing in this thread, and across many others, there is no evidence that CCP introduced Resource Scarcity in order to sell plex, and there is plenty of evidence that indicates that unsustainable economic activity has indeed been going on. In fact, in the case of capital proliferation, players have even been asking CCP to deal with it. Thus, there is currently no reason to assume that CCP’s motivations are anything other than what they said they were.

There was I time when I couldn’t care less if other people believed in conspiracy theories, propaganda, and other misinformation. I viewed them with an amused curiosity, laughed at the memes, and went on with my life. That changed, however, after I made a outrage video about Eve in which I proposed my own little conspiracy theory. Now, I may have been a bitter vet, but I wasn’t trying to convince players to quit or sabotage the game. Unfortunately, that is exactly what I ended up doing, and I was alarmed when people in the comments said that they were quitting because of me. Of course I felt like an ass, but the experience also made two things salient to me: (1) morale is contagious, and (2) misinformation can have real consequences (I’ll avoid getting into recent real life examples).

So, you’re right. I do have a problem with conspiracy theories, as I think they can do real damage to player morale and retention. And this particular conspiracy theory bothers me more than most because it bears a striking resemblance to the one I released into the wild a few years ago. You might think that I have delusions of being more influential than I really am, especially since I’m not a particularly successful youtuber, but I do know that ideas, information, and misinformation can all sometimes have some serious legs. Naturally, I can’t help but wonder if my own conspiracy theory planted the seed for the one that’s growing today. And yes, the thought of that does bother me. In fact, that’s probably a contributing factor as to why I can get so combative about it.

Anyway, I thought about linking my outrage video, but decided against it (if anyone really wants to see it, they can probably find it). But I’m not sure I want to risk it adding more fuel to the fire. So instead, I’ll just link a screenshot of my script (yes I make glorified powerpoint presentations).

TLDR: I have a problem with conspiracy theories because misinformation can cause real harm (such as damaging player retention and morale). And I have a big problem with this particular conspiracy theory because I may very well be the douche bag who started it.

Sorry for the long post. Here’s a tangentially related video. It’s about director cuts, but it also talks about the push and pull between creative types and money men.

2 Likes

Many things point towards that the things from this screenshot have taken and are still taking place. CCP introduced the completely unwarranted and highly damaging Rorqual and capital changes, which created an incentive for people to get more accounts, which made their stats look much better for potential buyers. Then CCP started to nerf the badly abused ships half-heartedly and in ways that create even more incentive to get even more accounts, giving them even more money. None of the introduced changes made the game better or the economy healthier, and everyone and their dogs were telling CCP (even CCP developers themselves did). The changes only made CCP’s bank account look better and their player numbers look greater. I don’t think you can call it conspiracy theory if actual and factual evidence points out exactly what people see – in particular if the company is known for being led by a CEO who is driven by greed above all else. And a company that shifts the blame for failures and deteriorating conditions from itself and its own wrongdoings to the customers by blaming them of using their deliberately introduced overpowered toys too much and despite the customers telling CCP time and again that they did something horribly wrong. Or a company that insists on that its customers should trust them that they have a plan but they don’t trust its customers to reveal any meaningful part of that plan beyond repeating empty phrases.

5 Likes

CCP is business and Peal Abyss is business. They absolutely will kill this game with ridiculous micro-transactions and extreme pay-to-win model if they decide what it will be profitable enough.

1 Like

Neither one has a history of not wanting long-term profits to keep rolling in. If they ‘absolutely kill this game’, that doesn’t happen.

And it’s not like CCP’s got a great track record of other projects with any staying power…

They evaluate only money. If they see opportunity to earn more money by turning EVE in pay-to-win cash grab - they will do it. Some people think what CCP already took this path and they have reasons for such feelings.

Yes, but there’s a difference between a short-term cash grab and a long-term cash cow. And EVE has been the latter, for CCP. Make it Pay-to-Win, and you’ll lose a lot of people. And frankly, I’m not sure the big fights can be made pay-to-win in any meaningful way. After all, pay-to-have-the-servers-stop-working-at-a-critical-moment doesn’t sell quiet as well.

3 Likes

No it’s not and no they are not.

Benefit of Rorquals in space was that there was actual content. Delve was full of rorquals, hunters, and defenders responding to each other. There was action, there was combat, and, of course, there was whining from the elite pvp crowd about having to work for their kills.

Now there is nothing. It’s dead. Only “people” in space are either combat fleets (thing elite pvpers, that CCP constantly tries to balance the game for, already cried about during blackout) and bots. No human is going to waste their time on PvE that is mind-numbingly boring, very high risk and very low reward when they can do instanced infinite PvE with barely any risk and huge rewards that are not being nerfed in any way or form. The result of which will be even fewer ships in space and even less content. Exact opposite of what CCP is claiming to want.

EVE players are not morons even if Hilmar and co seem to think that we are.

7 Likes

I don’t know why you people are all so negative. I just got 5k skillpoints and a technicolor ship skin, for FREE, from CCP, just for logging in.

1 Like

i have jet to see proof that “capital proliferation” is a bad thing.
All i see is wannabe PVPers who don’t know how to outrun caps in cruisers. Olmeca and Bombers Bar have quit the game because they have nothing to shoot annymore.
Immagine how many Dread escalations there could be - even without full scale war - on a playing field with Imperium and Legacy no longer ‘bluetral’ to each other.

With all the ballance changes to Capitals it is now easy for a hand full of subs to kill one and the changed cyno system makes it easy to antcipate when something is about to get droped and react accordingly.

So why the ■■■■ does CCP ■■■■ mineral production to the point where people can hardly afford to use t1 Battleships?
There will allways be people who focus on farming over other gameplay, who are willing to multibox just a few more alts then some other guy.
As the economy is tailored to absorb that behaviour players who just want to pve to finance other gameplay starve to death.

1 Like