Monthly Economic Report - October 2020

Okay, I have to say this now so it’s on record and when my fear comes true I can say ‘I told you so’.

Have you noticed what they did to the Garmur?

It was stealth changed last patch (no mention in notes) to have a set of flaming red go faster stripes on the back. Extremely cool looking, a design like a pair of wings, complete with a shining light. The day before the patch this was not on my Garmur, the day after it was.

Now, thoughts - why the Garmur, why only the Garmur, and what is this? Where did it come from, why was it added, and why was it added for free when it makes the ship look 10x cooler.

My fear, is that we are very soon going to be sold go faster stripes for our ships.

Have a look at a Garmur and you’ll see what I mean.

Just screams ship SKINs 2.0 to me.

Why are you afraid of this?

Because the EA approach to game design isn’t a good thing imo.

Never seen it do anything other than have a bad effect on the quality of the core content of the game.

You don’t think so?

This gave me the impression you think the same, no?

1 Like

Apple trees get old and die.
They still make good apples though,
even when they are shriveled to half their size,
with rotting branches and only a few scattered leaves.

This is how I think of Eve.
It is not getting any younger.

EVE is a dead game, CCP can’t come with a good idea to save it so they attack the player base. CCP could add cool ■■■■ to the game but we are dealing with gankers that only know how to destroy things. Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, and even No Mans Sky are going in the right direction. CCP needs to start on EVE 2 if it has not already. They need to add first person play to the game for many reason.

Planet and moons are not just for looking at, they are meant to be walked on, fought on, and explored but this is where CCP falls flat on their faces, Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, and even No Mans Sky are nailing it. CCP need to get off their scripted stories and player attacking and start adding real content to EVE. The only thing EVE had going for it at this point was the economy. What CCP can not grasp and those that only understand blowing crap up is, EVE is unique because of its player based economy and the unscripted sandbox. CCP is in a position to take that economy and sandbox to the next level but will they?

We should be walking on those beautiful planets in EVE but CCP is focused on attack players instead of adding real content to the game that can write its own story, CCP if forcing a story on the sandbox. Its one thing if you have a choice but CCP thinks it knows what you like better than you know. CCP is destroying the butterfly effect . The unscripted sandbox must be maintained not controlled.

CCP needs to add first person to the game so we can fly the ships while sitting in them. Lets face it, point and click will never beat actually flying a ship. First person would open the door to combat on the ground, in the sky, and in space. Just imagine trying to land a troop transport while under attack. Now imagine that transport full of people on its way to attack, defend, or explore that planet. CCP does not offer anything close to this but Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous are moving in that direction.

Where are you at DEVS and why don’t you interact with the folks on the forums? Its obviouse you are not heading in the right direction and some of us has some great ideas that could save our sandbox. Like I said, if CCP has not started on EVE 2 by now it may be to late. Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, and No Mans Sky are the direction space sim games are going and they are your main market competitor. If you don’t know this yet, which I know you do, you best start taking EVE in the direction those other games are heading or you will lose your player base. If I sound harsh, I am sorry but at this point CCP has created that harshness for themselves.

1 Like

No, they don’t.

Instead of spending development time and resources trying to be something else, EVE needs to focus on improving what it already is, capitalism in space, with lots of cool ships to own and pilot as a cherry on top.

If you want to play those games, then play those games.

No need to try and shoehorn EVE into trying to be other games, just because you want to play a sci-fi FPS or something like Star Wars Galaxies.

The main problem is that if CCP tries to copy other games in a half baked way, while the actual games they are trying to copy are doing it better, then people will just play those games instead of an inferior copy version.

I don’t mind this.

The four empires have a limit to the amount of content they can create, so it’s nice to see the DEVs fleshing out the fifth empire more rather than trying to force stuff on the already established four factions.

My only issue is that CCP is implementing the story part really badly.

EDENCOM presence in space is pretty much gone now that the Trigs have made their wannabe WH space, and the players who sided with them were given a middle finger as the reward.

There’s lots of obscure lore for the universe, so it’s nice to see CCP expanding on it, and it’s likely we might see more development about the Jove in the future, but hopefully the actual game content isn’t implemented in a rushed an untested manner, without considering half of the players interacting with it again.

1 Like

You know whats awesome about a sandbox game? You can play the game you like and I can play the game I like, all from the same sandbox. Tell me, why would you not want to sit in and fly all of the ships in EVE while, in first person? Not one of the ideas I tossed out would take any of the lore away from what EVE is right now but add first person content to the game. If I had my way, I would keep everything EVE had before the ore changes but add first person content to the game and the ability to land, walk, mine, and build on the planets and moons. It would open the door to new ships and land vehicles for all factions. My imagination runs wild with the thoughts of fighting on a planet, from the ground, in the sky, and in space over the planet or moon. The possibility’s are endless and so is the content that the players could create.

Meanwhile, in w-space …
… who knows ?

Because all ships would look the same in first person since we fly them all from inside a goo filled pod that doesn’t open while in space.
Unless you are suggesting EVE should first murder it’s own lore in order to shoehorn first person avatar play into the game.
And it would massively reduce tactical awareness

1 Like

There is already a first person view. Alt-3.

2 Likes

I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure by first person they were meaning at least first person avatar aka x4 style.
Which… is both lore breaking in EVE and foolish having cockpits like that in giant spaceships.

CCP has zero respect for Eve lore, so that is not really a problem. But walking in stations was far too difficult for them. Walking in spaceships would require a dedicated team 6 years to implement.

3 Likes

Evidence required.

Well it was basically an entirely new graphics and physics engine that had to play nice with the existing engine and not cause avatars to look totally different. That does tend to take that kind of time and work

I actually enjoyed a lot station walk, even considering that it had very little functionality, I still loved to see my character staying in front of floating ship or sitting watching news sitting on sofa. I miss that little piece of emmersiveness.

2 Likes

Eve initially had a rich lore with four empires plus Jove. They decided to add Sleepers later on, but made them in such a way that they are completely uninteresting, like space zombies. Plus there are Drifters that are the same way - CCP has nothing to say about them.

Then they decided to just end the Jovians with an “and then they all died.”

Then there are the Trigs… Wait. I am going to stop myself. If you really require evidence that CCP does not respect their own lore then I don’t think there is anything I can say to convince you.

3 Likes

None of that is anything to do with ‘not respecting lore’ If anything it’s actually evidence of them respecting and extending lore.
Respect does not mean “leave stagnant and never do anything with”.
And you’ve totally misunderstood lore around multiple factions and how it interconnects

p.s. They also never said the Jove died. They left Jove space.

That’s the main problem here.

I would enjoy playing that game, and CCP has put their hands in this stuff before, but they always manage to screw everything up.

If you aren’t aware, they have made Dust 514(PS3 exclusive) and then EVE Valkyrie(Oculus exclusive for the first year).

How long did those last, you may ask?

• Dust 514

The full game was released worldwide on May 14, 2013.

The game was shut down by CCP on May 30, 2016.

• EVE Valkyrie

Eve: Valkyrie was launched for Microsoft Windows on March 28, 2016.

On September 26, 2017, CCP released Eve: Valkyrie - Warzone on PC and PlayStation 4, removing the VR requirement and allowing for cross-platform multiplayer.

In October 2017, CCP ceased all VR development for Eve: Valkyrie* and other VR projects.

Dust 514 is completely gone, but apparently it’s still possible to play Valkyrie, although some users reported bugs in online features, which customer support mentions they don’t support the game anymore and that’s your own problem.

So yeah, if CCP didn’t make those games exclusive on release, then maybe their MAIN PC AUDIENCE could play them, but they are too smart to think of that, aren’t they?

3 Likes

Whats the inside of the pod look like. Whats it feel like when your sitting in the seat and looking out the window while flying?

EVE 2 is the only way CCP could pull any of this off. New game with new ideas wont piss people off as much as changing a 20 year old relic.

CCP copy Elite Dangerous? You read the reviews on Steam? The worlds in ED are generated by algorithms, they have to be due to the huge number and players are saying once you walk on 2-3 worlds the thousands of others are all the same structures, same look and feel. There’s a phrase being bandied about for ED, “The gameplay it’s a thousand miles wide and just an inch deep.”. I play EvE simply because I played Elite back in the 1980s, EvE is the true progression of Elite, while ED is cheap rip-off of the classic Elite ideas.

3 Likes