Multiboxing Poll

Point one: There are two, NOT ONE, posts of mine above yours.
Point two: I literally didn’t say the word “cheating” in either one of them.

You wanna talk? You need to be clear. Otherwise, don’t direct posts at me

So why not just change the rules? When you dig into that and understand why they won’t, you will begine to understand that “cheating” is not a simple matter of what’s on paper and what isn’t.

Yeah, I think you have some serious misconceptions about the game. But I’m not sure that there’s anything I can say to convince you otherwise.

So, if you’re going to go out, how about going out with a little bit of class. Give your stuff to friend, a newbro, or convert it to plex and donate to plex for good.

Also, you have to put this in your steam review.

Yeah, I noticed. It’s a more polarizing issue than I thought.

3 Likes

Can I change my vote? I changed my mind, I like that multiboxing idea now.

4 Likes

It’s a troll.

There hasn’t been a review in many hours now, even though they said they just wrote one.

You responded to a Cheat-claim with an example that is not cheating if the rules allow it. There’s nothing else there in your post. Cheating is doing something that is not allowed by the rules. If the rules don’t prohibit something from taking place or are not specific enough, it’s not cheating. It may be immoral, but it’s up to the game owners to make better rules if they don’t like immoral play styles.

However, poker is another good example against your claim that multiboxing is bad, cheating and CCP should prevent it. All these Daily Sports and poker websites are full of people using multiple accounts and third party software to gain an advantage over other players. These gambling sites have no way to prevent that from happening. CCP is in the very same position. Hence, if they tried to prevent multiboxing, they would only give the most knowledgeable and resourceful people and advantage, while the current system gives everyone the same benefits.

Okay. The poker example was not meant as an example of “cheating” per se, but rather of what an unfair advantage looks like.

I mean dude, it would be IMPOSSIBLE for the same person to play 3 hands secretly if it were against the rules right?

Look man, what is decided to be cheating is NOT just some random restrictions. Its generally based on UNFAIR ADVANTAGE. If something is an UNFAIR ADVANTAGE it IDEALLY should be banned. But sometimes a judgement call is made where its allowed because it cannot be stopped. But it REMAINS an unfair advantage and people will call that “cheating” and they have every right.

Your position is like saying its okay that chemically altered cheese by-product is legally labeled “cheese” even though its clearly FAKE CHEESE. Most of what people eat today and think is real cheese isn’t. Its clearly lying and cheating but just because our piece of garbage lawmakers decided its okay in the laws they wrote does not mean its really okay. Its not. Its CHEATING us.

3 Likes

I bet reviews get reviewed by mods before they become visible. Give it some time.

There are thousands of reviews written every day on Steam. Mods don’t review them, unless they get reported in sufficient numbers. There’s an automatic system that screens all new reviews and forum posts for a few seconds for key words and phrases before pushing them through or blocking them, which is done mostly to prevent spam and phishing.

It’s a troll.

By the way, there is a law (or rather FDA guideline) in the US mandating what “cheese” must be, just FYI.

3 Likes

I will take your word for it.

Yes. And its a bad joke. Its cheating made legal by the rule book, which is still cheating, and that’s my point Fake cheese should not be allowed to have the word “cheese” anywhere on the package without clear words like “fake” and “imitation” before it. “Process cheese” just doesn’t convey the truth. Its a scam. A fraud. A lie. A cheat. And its pretty much the way I feel about multiboxing.

As the wise person above said, this is not massively multi-player so much as its massively multi-account. A lot of truth can be buried behind a name.

1 Like

And that’s what it all comes down to. You’re allowed to feel any way about anything, but it’s only cheating if it’s against written rules.

Cheating is cheating. Applying the term to an act that’s (potentially) of questionable morality, but not expressly forbidden, cheapens and diminishes the impact of the term. So when you say…

…a few posts above, you’re objectively wrong.

1 Like

I don’t multibox, but multiboxing is an easy way to multiply resource harvesting, cheat your way out of situations, and even requirement for some corps. Hence new players are pushed hard to use multiple accounts, because it’s the easy way to solve all problems. This is a retention hurdle. Else I don’t care, it’s part of Eve.

1 Like

FRom Wiki:

Cheating generally describes various actions designed to subvert rules in order to obtain unfair advantages. This includes acts of bribery, cronyism and nepotism in any situation where individuals are given preference using inappropriate criteria.[1] The rules infringed may be explicit, or they may be from an unwritten code of conduct based on morality, ethics or custom, making the identification of cheating conduct a potentially subjective process.

My bold.

Man, you need to chill out. I fully admit that CCP allows multiboxing. I have several times now. But the term “cheating” is not so simple that you can declare someone “objectively wrong” in their employment of the term.

This is why I have liberally used the term “unfair advantage” to differentiate from straight violation of the written rules.

1 Like

Whats the point in a multiboxing poll when the multiboxers can use all their accounts to vote not concerned lmao. Clearly this further shows the imbalance. 50% should be substracted from the not concerned option to account for that.

1 Like

Yeah, actually I can, because multi-boxing doesn’t “subvert rules” in any way, whether they’re explicit, or part of an unwritten code of conduct of any form. In fact, it’s quite clearly stated in the EULA that you are allowed to have and play on multiple accounts.

Don’t try to bend a very clear term to suit your particular subjective viewpoint. That, actually, would count as an instance of “cheating,” as far as honest debating is concerned.

3 Likes

It would be great if you could just read what I cut and pasted.

2 Likes

Part of your wiki article

The rules infringed may be explicit, or they may be from an unwritten code of conduct based on morality, ethics or custom, making the identification of cheating conduct a potentially subjective process.

The rules in EVE are explicit. Break those, you’re cheating. If you don’t break them, you’re not cheating.

Then there’s also ‘morality’. For some people ganking is cheating, for others afk mining is cheating. Some find nano kitey ships cheating, others dislike getting overwhelmed by large fleets.

Let’s just ignore all of these subjective morality forms of cheating?

Multiboxing with Omega accounts is allowed and not cheating. Multiboxing with Alphas is cheating.

3 Likes

I think that from now on, I’ll refer to whiny carebears as cheaters. After all, they’re not beating their opponents (e.g. me) in-game and within the confines of the game’s rules, but are going to a forum in order to underhandedly sway developer opinion in order to get the developers to beat me on their behalf. This is highly amoral and unethical, and as such, they’re cheating.

4 Likes

Exactly. Try taking it ALL in.

Whether multiboxing is cheating according to CCP is objectively provable.

Whether multiboxing is cheating in more general terms is subjective. And THAT my friends is why rules CAN and DO change…sometimes because some things were popularly considered cheating all along but the rules did not reflect it for…various “reasons”.

2 Likes

Not really.

It would be cheating* if CCP determined multiboxing to be a cheat and retroactively banned everyone who has multiboxed in the past.

As multiboxing is not considered cheating right now, it is not cheating right now. Even if the rules change in the future.

*this is not an ingame rule, but a general one. Laws and rules only apply to when they were active.