Mutaplasmid Angst - did CCP err in listening to players?

This player input is ■■■■ really every one has som agenda they should stop listening to the null whiners especially but every one is guilty here. Eve has grown to be full of self entitled crybabies

CCP now has a benchmark and metrics data on Abyss content.

Perfectly reasonable for them to make informed rational adjustments to drop-rates, mutaplasmid %s etc now.

I still think my linear filament model is preferable to the existing one.

1 Like

What you call game play is boring as hell blob fest. It is true some people don’t want to play in null but you don’t realize how many of those Pve scum actually lived in null for years and find it even more boring then high sec. I refuse to be someone’s bitch used for his PLEX income as 90% of you null sec slaves are. Renting bribes blue balls now even in wh there are entities that basically rule them. So I swing between npc null and high with some occasional wh ganking in between and choose not to participate in that abortion of original intent you call gameplay.

4 Likes

If they meant that players think they want to win, while they actually want to keep being challenged, there might be some truth in it, as dickish as this sounds coming from EA.

True, at some point it seemed almost the new cool to die to NPCs in Abyssal Deadspace. For other NPCs, I think the culture you mention has to do with how predictable such engagements are.

I think they do listen, sometimes too little, sometimes too much. If you mean that player Nullsec has the greatest influence, I wonder why Mutaplasmids haven’t become a formidable T2 sink.

Hehe, this would actually be kind of cool, although also creepy, since it means they’d silently read through those hundreds of posts pre-release.

I don’t know what you’ve read or who are you answering to, but your answer is a mile away from my comment…

My position is that CCP should do a lot more for the majority in highsec based on their numbers, rather than focus on how to lure people into null.

Might take only one post that nails it, and is forwarded to their attention.

It’s interesting how the way you shape your arguments against each other resembles the way it’s done on TV and in social media headlines.

Also my sarcasm detector is off the charts

CCP initially proposed a game change that would make EVE much worse.

They then reduced the impact of that change.

Consequentially, the change had very little impact on the game.

This is better than the alternative of it having had a large negative impact.

1 Like

Well, I am pretty much certain that Multiplasmids being bad for EVE is highly speculative and depends on individual players, with some considering it bad, some considering it positive and the rest simply not caring about it at all.

1 Like

It could have been a massive material sink for T1, T2 and Faction markets. How is that bad? Do you think the ongoing overproduction/oversourcing is healthy for the game?

As a potentially massive material sink it could also have been the starting point for CCP to lower ISK faucets in Null. Now they have no choice but to keep them as they are.

It also would have been a continous motivator to run the sites. With the current droprate vs rng-chances this is pretty much unfeasible.

Instead of long term prosperity, the expansion brought only short time speculation.

The only impact that might be seen as negative was the mass reduction for MWDs. All the other scenarios for “OP” fits were mostly theoretical. The general population of EVE simply does not fly 50B fits on Cruisers. Not now, not before. And the fears about unrealistic scenarios seemed weird in comparison to actually existing game mechanics, which influence PVP in a bad way.

So, what is the “large negative impact” that you saw coming?

1 Like

Have to love the arguments about the theoretical 50b supposedly OP fits…

Costs 50b to fit…dies to two 100m T1 nados on alpha…

#MultiplasmidsOP #SaveTheBalance

1 Like

i didnt complete the filament anomalie, but i can give you the last final tanking i got.

Its a RDM +48k of tanking with my moa against 4 battleship and one cruiser faction “spatio-t”.
:sunglasses:

Mutated mods aren’t on the market, so your data is bunk. Contracts with mutated mods are there and people pay good ISK for the good rolls.
You don’t put the plasmids on the market, you use them on mods and trash the crap rolls or sell the avg and good rolls.

That said, I don’t think mutaplasmids are good for the game. Instead of putting RNG into Eve, they should have invested more time into other options like balance and further developing the content. I like abyssal space, I don’t like that people can kill themselves and deny content if they find out that people are waiting for them to come out…
I like the expansion overall, but still think that mutaplasmids need to go

The biggest problem is horrible market implementation for abyss mods. I shouldn’t have to mouse over every current contract to find the module that is highest in a given stat.

This problem will get worse as time goes on, and contracts pile up with bad rolled mods. Will have to wade through a mountain of ■■■■ to find anything good.

Part of me wonders if they made this stuff more rare entirely because more abyss mods would just increase the size of the contracts mess.

1 Like

Reprocessing is already a massive material sink for those modules … just saying.

No the elephant in the room is why is NS filled with nothing but utter ■■■■ now and a lot of us move back to other regions HS included, or take very long breaks.

Fix the ■■■■ that causes people to leave NS and people will go back to it.

I’ve been doing and watching contracts for mutated items. Whereever you take your idea from, it is wrong. The contract volumes for mutated items are not high at all. Neither do the market trade volumes for base items show any significant increase that would suggest a higher consumption through mutation. The low market volume for Mutaplasmids is due to a low drop-rate, nothing else.

You don’t like Mutaplasmids, that I heard. Pretending they are currently working as intented just to avoid them actually becoming a meaningful part of the game makes your claims sound like a rhetoric trick.

And why exactly do you think mutaplasmids are not good for the game? All you’re saying is they should fix other stuff - no mention of your reasons to disapprove of mutaplasmids.

And the majority of high sec players want to run missions (and mine and do industry explore). But what does CCP do? Anything but releasing new missions. They even go as far as to say they would risk more resources and player satisfaction by releasing new missions because they could be disliked than by releasing polarizing experimental content, which is a massive time sink for their scarce development resources.

1 Like

Okay, let me jump in on this. I agree mutas are a terrible thing. Not because of what they are, but because they are completely out of place until such a time that the game is re-tooled to accommodate them (or ideally, the game would have been built for this from the ground-up). The game, what balance we do have (between ships, in shps vs. PvE, etc) was never built around these new possibilities. Had the devs finished tiericde, hammered out a real and genuine place for mutated modules, then released them into an EvE world that was ready and built for it…it’d be fine. But they didn’t.

I’ll try to keep this short, so I apologize if I don’t hammer out a complete essay covering the nuances of this. But basically these mutations could only come in two flavors. Flavor A: niche, rare, and subsequently interesting but unlikely to shift balances or break the game due to rarity. Flavor B: common, new standard for ship and PvP balance.

They went with flavor A, which is probably the safer bet. What you seem to want is flavor B - where this expansion would (could?) have revolutionized the game with much more dynamic fits, abilities, and situations. The problem is that flavor B which is not as safe but likely the better option in the long run, needs a hell of a lot more work to…well…work. Like, do we re-tool hundreds of ships due to what mutated (and in this scenario, common) modules can do? Ships are often limited by a CPU or powergrid amount to make sure they can’t do certain things…and mutes provide a circumvention of that in some fashion.

The only other thing you can really do is re-tool the modules themselves, a sort of pre-nerf for the new abilities akin to what happened to freighters gaining lowslots. The problem with that, is that you spend hundreds of thousands of dollars developing, bug testing, balance testing, and implementing a change with the long-term goal of simply ending up back where you started before you opted for the expansion.

So, this was either going to be power creep, useless, or a complete waste of time. Those are the only three scenarios that were ever going to emerge. Honestly they took the safest route, in which the content is useless.

I’ll be frank, I kinda wish it’d be more on the side of power creep. Not really for the sake of power creep per se, it’s just an unfortunate by-product, but having more dynamic ship fits and more interesting abilities would have been a godsend. In a PvP encounter you assume Tech II, overheated most likely, and you generally know what comes with it. But imagine that there’s a very real possibility that the enemy ship opted for increased web amount or range at the expense of vastly increased cap usage? Encounters could be more interesting.

The problem is that they actively decided against balancing mutas altogether. Instead they just threw their hands up in surrender to RNG and they could just later point fingers to the computer program itself if any problems arose. I think the entire abyss update needs to be scrapped. The entire thing. Then bring it back when it’s re-tooled and EvE is actually ready for it.
-Keep the PvE encounter as it is currently, but massively uptick the mutas drop rate.
-Instead of RNG, each module has a set number of variants it can have, each one already balanced. A la exactly the relationship between tech I modules, and the various named forms it can take (scoped, compact, enduring, etc).
-Maybe make it so mutas can only be used on Tech II modules. Something something technobabble only can interact with that moon goo stuff that makes tech II possible, something something.

Then you can allow for a much higher success rate, we don’t have to re-tool contracts to accommodate since the limited and set amount of variants can just be added onto the standard market, etc. The only thing left to do would be balancing the mutas and making sure there’s still space between what they do and what faction/officer do.

For the one point you keep coming back to, the tech II destruction via bricked modules, I think you’re quite right that more destruction is a good thing. But since the expansion was completely without a clear vision or place within the game, any hope for destruction is just a pipe dream.

Edit: in short, CCP erred in not having a real place or plan for this, other than “this could be cool”. It’s not the players’ fault for pointing out the immense faults. CCP compromised for the better short-term outcome, but really this should have been worked on in the background for a year or two longer and launched with it’s own roadmap and goals.

3 Likes

Mutaplasmids and the “profession” of mutating modules will likely remain a very small niche.

There are good reasons for that.

Why are you so focused on this issue?
Whats in it for you?