Native Mac Client Playtest - General Feedback

Great feedback! Thanks you. :slight_smile:

Hi. Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:. There are known issues with detection of system ability currently. For example: Using high settings on a system that doesn’t have a GPU suited for these.
This is something that we’re investigating.

Hi. Thank you for the feedback :slight_smile:
Could you let me know if you use scaling on the desktop (outside of EVE)? We believe this can cause the client to be blurry in some situations. Would you kindly file a bug report if you’ve not done so already so we could see the blur on your machine?

Hi. Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:
I’d like to check your 120 fps comment: Does your monitor run at 120hz? or is it a 60Hz screen with the client running at 120fps with ‘interval one’ set?
It’s probably nothing as you mention the window mode being 140 fps, but I’d like to check we’re not breaking the FPS limiter. Many thanks.

Thank you for the feedback. If you’ve not created a bug report, I’d really encourage you to do so :slight_smile:
I suspect the settings in the client, both resolution and graphical, are set too high by default. I’d be interested to hear your results if these are lowered.

Hi. Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:. Something certainly sounds wrong here! This isn’t reflective of what we’ve seen so far.
If you’ve not bug reported this, please do. We would love to get some more information from the system that is having the issues to try and reproduce this.

Hi. Thanks for the feedback, this is very valuable :slight_smile:
We’ve got a few reports of inconsistent scaling that we will look into.

Thanks for this - it’s a great comparison. Are you changing anything other than the GPU used? Is your desktop scaling the same?

Only one thing I have noticed is that when I have the new client open, trying to use anything else on my iMac becomes almost impossible. The actual game runs fine though, I just can’t multitask while it’s open.

This is on a top spec 2019 iMac and the wine client allows me to use other programs simultaneously with it.

It is an 60 Hz Monitor

The iGPU in the Mac Mini 2018 does suck, especially if you pair it with 4K monitors.
I get 30-45 fps with everything on low except: shaders on medium, antialiasing off, shadows off in 1920x1080 windowed on a 1920x1200 monitor.

You should try and add a resolution doubled mode for people running 4K displays on iGPUs so the game renders at half the actual # of pixels.

CCP Caffeine - along with another test to check, using both clients to check - I’ve attached pictures and hopefully a movie (no movie as it keeps showing my personal info). It appears the issue shows up whenever there is an object between the sun and the camera - to me not a major issue causing possible gameplay issues.
All of these pictuers were taken while flying an Orca
Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 2.09.38 PM
Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 2.10.27 PM

It appears to be a Shader issue - Shader on High cause the effect - medium/low no effect

any for comparison sack
M1 MBP 16gbram
With High Shader

With Medium Shader

1 Like

CCP Caffeine - AFAIK all I did was connect my monitor via an HDMI cable to the HDMI port on the Mac mini and disconnect my eGPU (and turned off its power) - all other settings remained the same. My post on the light effect (shader issue has my specs). The only difference would be that I only had the C27 monitor hooked up as only have one HDMI.

1 Like

Would anyone else be interested in testing something to see if it repeats for them?

Step One - Full screen the EVE client from the Green Full Screen Apple button - See if the menu bar will come back or not when you move the mouse to the top of the screen.

Step Two - If the menu bar doesn’t come back, close client, restart client and see if menu bar will now show up when you move the mouse to the top of the screen.

Step Three - If the menu bar does show back up, click the green button again to exit full screen.

I got tired of mac’s brain-dead way of changing resolution. Ran across Parallels-Tools (installed with Parallels, but ?possibly available separately). It lets you set an any exact resolution your monitors support. Very helpful for Eve.

2 Likes

@CCP_Caffeine so, I need to test it out, but while i was digging around trying to figure out a way to copy my Tran settings over to Mac Sisi, I noticed in the hidden Library folder of the computer > application support > EVE Online that there is a folder with what appears to be Mac Client version of EVE. If that is true I believe I could then create an alias to have my Touch Bar auto swap to F-keys when EVE is running… I hope this is the case and if so we will need a “how to for Mac users” on how to do this.

Thanks for the tip! Using parallel tools worked and now EVE matches the screen resolution.
I basically changed from
2540x1440 (Retina)
to
2540x1440
So looks like EVE is getting fooled by the “retina” setting.

Hey. Just curious? Do you use the high DPI setting in the launcher preferences? (I think that is where it is at)

And those guys at Parallels are pretty smart for work around and fixes for poor QA/Development of OS features.

The playtest has now come to an end.

A huge thank you to everyone who has provided feedback. We have gathered a significant amount of data, both from the forum and bug reports. More than we expected at this stage!

There won’t be much new news for a while, as we’ll be acting on the data we’ve gathered here and continuing the normal development of the Native Mac Client. We may have another playtest in the future, so keep an eye on our normal places: News Articles, Forum, Email and social media :slight_smile:

5 Likes