Native Mac Client Playtest - General Feedback

Thanks for the feedback!
One of the machines I’m testing on is a M1 MacBook Air, and I love it :slight_smile: I’ve been really impressed on how much power it has, more so given its size.

1 Like

Just tried it on my MBP 2019. The graphics and performance are a significant upgrade! I tried an L4 mission. When I was tanking the mission stopped I was getting a ton of screen artifact flickering on the structures and background, other than that looks good! Very excited!

Hi
This is brilliant feedback. Thank you! :slight_smile:
It would be very useful to know your system details (macOS version, CPU, GPU are the most important). I know the areas you’ve listed may not sound like they would be impacted by them, but the more information we have, the faster we can look at reproducing.

Hi. Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

I’m very interested in the ‘can only play full screen’ issue. Could you bug report this from within the client after you’ve tried? That way we can get important information attached and hopefully see what is happening.

I swap between desktops constantly, so I think there is something specific happening on your system we need to try and reproduce. It may be related to the above issue.

Would you share the commands you’re having issues with, so I can check our internal defects against them?

This is the same on the Windows client - but the wording could be better. I suspect it’s a throwback to when GPUs had one video output. The Geforce3/4 were popular when EVE launched, and frequently only had one display output.

It would be nice to make some of these options more clear though. “Present Interval” is another one :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback and filing a report :slight_smile:
Just in case it’s not in your report - could you let me know if this was an official Apple mouse, or a ‘PC’ one?

Thanks very much for the feedback, this is very useful :slight_smile:
Any screenshots or videos are a huge help for us!

Thank you for the feedback :slight_smile:
Was it the ‘UI Scaling’ option you used? If you’ve not filed a bug report using F12, please consider doing this. It includes important information about the system and what the game was doing, that could really help us reproduce it :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback!
This is a strange one and I’ve not come across anything like this yet. The folder being 5+ GB is very weird, as the normal (not complete) client is smaller than that. Download on demand will only grab things as needed. I’m afraid I’m not sure what is happening here yet :frowning:

If you could file a bug report and include the launcher and recent game logs, that would be very useful in helping us reproduce. Details on how to do this are in the News Article, under the “How you can help” heading: Native Mac Client Playtest | EVE Online

Many thanks!

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:
Could you clarify the “was a major drawback for me” for the sound. Was there an issue here when you did this or are you comparing to the Wine client?

The problem list is very useful. Could you include your system specs (macOS version, CPU and GPU) so we can try to replicate them internally?
Many thanks :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback (I saw your previous post). We’d be interested to hear any updates you can give us if you manage to try :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:
Turning hardware acceleration on inside the launcher, if not enabled, can improve things a lot. It is now default enabled on new installs, but settings were not changed on existing installs for the moment. I’d be interested to see if this helps improve the problem :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback! :slight_smile:
Consider the UI scaling option over changing the resolution. While decreasing the resolution can help with performance, it may make the image look less sharp as a result.
Either way, I’m glad you found a solution for now :smiley:

I’ll check out the trackpad and make sure it’s responding to the options in the settings pannel correctly :slight_smile: Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! :slight_smile:
The jump issue was likely because the system hadn’t been loaded by the server yet. Usually happens if you’re the first to jump in. Once it’s loaded, it should be fine after that point :slight_smile:

Cannot join fleets either through direct invite or fleet finder. My alt can see the fleet clicking the join button doesn’t do anything. M1 mac mini. submitted report already

@CCP_Caffeine As requested

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:	MacBook Pro
  Model Identifier:	MacBookPro16,1
  Processor Name:	8-Core Intel Core i9
  Processor Speed:	2.4 GHz
  Number of Processors:	1
  Total Number of Cores:	8
  L2 Cache (per Core):	256 KB
  L3 Cache:	16 MB
  Hyper-Threading Technology:	Enabled
  Memory:	64 GB
  System Firmware Version:	1554.80.3.0.0 (iBridge: 18.16.14347.0.0,0)
  Serial Number (system):	<redacted>
  Hardware UUID:	<redacted>
  Provisioning UDID:	<redacted>
  Activation Lock Status:	Enabled
System Software Overview:

System Version:	macOS 11.2.3 (20D91)
  Kernel Version:	Darwin 20.3.0
  Boot Volume:	Macintosh HD
  Boot Mode:	Normal
  Computer Name:	<redacted>
  User Name:	 <redacted>
  Secure Virtual Memory:	Enabled
  System Integrity Protection:	Enabled
  Time since boot:	15:35
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M:

Chipset Model:	AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
  Type:	GPU
  Bus:	PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width:	x8
  VRAM (Total):	4 GB
  Vendor:	AMD (0x1002)
  Device ID:	0x7340
  Revision ID:	0x0040
  ROM Revision:	113-D3220E-190
  VBIOS Version:	113-D32206U1-019
  Option ROM Version:	113-D32206U1-019
  EFI Driver Version:	01.A1.190
  Automatic Graphics Switching:	Supported
  gMux Version:	5.0.0
  Metal Family:	Supported, Metal GPUFamily macOS 2
  Displays:
LG UltraFine:
  Resolution:	3840 x 2160 (2160p/4K UHD 1 - Ultra High Definition)
  UI Looks like:	1920 x 1080 @ 60.00Hz
  Framebuffer Depth:	30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)
  Display Serial Number:	<redacted>
  Main Display:	Yes
  Mirror:	Off
  Online:	Yes
  Rotation:	Supported
  Automatically Adjust Brightness:	No
  Connection Type:	Thunderbolt/DisplayPort
LG UltraFine:
  Resolution:	3840 x 2160 (2160p/4K UHD 1 - Ultra High Definition)
  UI Looks like:	1920 x 1080 @ 60.00Hz
  Framebuffer Depth:	30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)
  Display Serial Number:	<redacted>
  Mirror:	Off
  Online:	Yes
  Rotation:	Supported
  Automatically Adjust Brightness:	No
  Connection Type:	Thunderbolt/DisplayPort
1 Like

So undocked in my Gila and no model appeared plus the base vanished. Also I found out I can’t screenshot unless the bug report window is open and they are not being saved to my eve screenshots folder

1 Like

No UI scaling, just the default screen resolution on first launch which was apparently maximum. I changed the resolution down to the next lower than highest to fix. Then windowed mode shrank the entire window down to smaller than an index card. It was a very frustrating first impression.

Will send details later after work in client

1 Like

OK. so…ummmm…yeeeeaaaaahhhhhhh…ya see??

On my 2013 Mac Pro the Wine client kicks in the cooling fan as soon as the client starts up. On the current Singularity server version well yeeeeaahhhhhh I’m running at less than half of the previous CPU load and the fans have yet to spin up after 5 minutes of run time on a 2560x1600 display AND the graphics are sharper. I’m gonna call this a win already.

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro6,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 32 GB
System Firmware Version: 130.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.20f18
Panel Illumination Version: 1.4a6
2 Likes

I played for an hour+ in an M1 Mac Mini, feeding a variety of ships to Vargurs. (Vargurs hurt!)

I was very, very impressed. Aside from a little bit of model clipping on a Keepstar (which I see periodically regardless of client), it worked great – smooth, the first time I’ve been able to play on high graphics settings ever, and very responsive. It worked great on interval 1 in fullscreen and a variety of windowed modes, at the highest resolutions my monitor can support, and never stressed the processor or generated any heat. Compared to the old client, the difference is night and day.

I would 100% start using this on TQ tomorrow if it was an option. Maybe that could be a beta option or something? (And, since I’m on an M1, that’s really my only functional native option – I’ve been using the also-impressive but understandably less-responsive browser client since getting the new machine.)

Great work.

1 Like