Native Mac Client Playtest - General Feedback

Thank you for making this great decision to make a native Mac client a reality.
My system: Mac Mini Late 2018, I7 6-Core, 16 GB Ram, eGPU Razer Core x, Radeon Vega 64.
So far only graphic flickering in the belt, grid-like appearance of the sun and occasionally grid of vengeance (Makinaw) otherwise everything I tested runs very well and smoothly.
Performance is much better than the Wine based client.
All settings at maximum.
Interval1 60 fps constant, immediately interval 120 fps with full screen. in window mode 140 fps

1 Like

Would like to ask someone else to check:
I have an i7 Mac mini, eGPU 580, dual monitor set up, 32 GB ram. Max settings

I noticed and submitted a bug report on it.

Amarr Star Gates have blocky sun ray effects on back side of gate.

To reproduce: Find an Amarr Star gate. Set your view to it and put the gate between you and the system sun. Move around and see if the sun shafts get boxy looking. (This did not happen every time, and maybe related to the type of sun in system)

I only noticed this on my alt while using Amarr Gates. Gallente Gates looked fine.

1 Like

While using the client it seems to run very well, the issue I find is that when I tab out, anything else is extremely laggy to use.

If I want to use anything while EVE is open it’s almost impossible.

Graphics look great though.

1 Like

2014 mid MacBook pro , unable to play with Nvidia GPU, resolution too high, blur texture, glitchy shiny screen. all graphics are too dark to see. EVEN worth compare with wine version. Extremely low fps and freeze. Is this native client based on m1 mac? if it is , I don’t mind get a new machine, please share your performance on m1 macs, much appreciated.

This version is for intel macs. Just a bunch of people have M1 machines and it works very well on them so far.

Can you post a screen shot of your issues?

Hey all. Thanks for all the replies! We’re certainly gathering the type of data we are looking for :smiley:

I just want to reiterate: Where possible, please file a bug report using F12, even if you have posted on the forum. There are some screenshots and information in this thread that will be very difficult for us to reproduce without knowing the specifics that a bug report gives us. We want to fix as many of these issues as possible :slight_smile:

A huge thank you to everyone who has given feedback so far :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I turned Hardware rendering on and it improved things.

• The client isn’t as slow anymore.
  • when I Cmd-tab to my desktop the dock and menu tab works rather fast, however its still running with some lag.
  • the mouse issue has also improved but it still glitchy when I use my mouse to turn the camera or zoom.
  • NEW: Q-click my ship in a direction, the game wont accept my clicks (on the mouse or track pad). However, when I just use the mouse to click somewhere in space the ship reacts as commanded.

I’ve only had limited to test the new Mac client. Running on Mac Pro at 5K in all high-graphics. Been waiting for this moment for almost 12 years! Seeing the graphics finally in almost all their full glory is a dream come true. Thank you CCP for sticking by the EVE Mac community!

Main thing I noticed in the short time I was playing was input devices where not very responsive, I’m using a Apple Trackpad in combo with a Wacom Intuos Tablet. It seems to move between being over responsive at first then as you use a continues input that over responsiveness becomes sticky.

Will follow up with more soon hopefully!

1 Like

I was doubtful about my setup working with the new native client but it worked great. Running an iMac Pro. WINE notoriously hates this box. I just upgraded to a new WINE version so it was probably fixed, but in the older versino I had to change resolutions on the client before WINE would know what res I was running.

The new native client runs at 60 fps, in windowed mode, at 3200x1800. There is a slight bit of window lag when dragging them around but I don’t move windows around often. A few small flashes here and there, like the citadel while panning around, however this fixed and could have been a data loading issue as I couldn’t reproduce it later.

Very happy! Hopefully we can bring this mainstream soon. Thanks for the hard work guys!

1 Like

Mac Mini 2018 running Big Sur.

Unplayable, even in super-potato-mode (ie, black screen). Same settings as I use in TQ (Disable, None, Medium, Low, Low, Disabled).
Windowed mode @3840x2054: ~20fps on black screen, 7-15fps with rendering on, in space, all zoomed out. Can’t choose a lower resolution without resizing screen. Wine client runs at 1920x1027 on windowed mode, which probably explains a lot of the performance drop.

Full screen, I can drop the resolution to 1920x1080 and I get about 18-20fps, which is still less than half what I get on the wine client, windowed, and it looks worse than the wine client (text is much fuzzier, for instance). Even so, there’s noticeable input lag when panning the camera, and that doesn’t happen in the wine client with the same settings

Hoping the native client will get substantially improved, or that the wine client will continue to be an option

1 Like

Traveling the EVE universe WIndow mode 2100x1300 60fps only issues so far are a little artifacting in belts as I jump in and my Gila goes super invisible if i undock it after I dock one of my caps.

Base M1 mac mini
Already bug reported everything I believe

1 Like

Did you F12 bug report?

Also, if you don’t mind giving more specs - Monitor, GPU (if not the crappy built in Intel one) etc. maybe some pictures. Then maybe we in the community can help figure something out and this help CCP in the long run.

My 2018 Mac mini, uses a Sapphire 580 eGPU, dual 1080 monitors 144hz, 32gb of ram. I have use Mac settings and dual clients running between ~50-65 FPS.

Played for an hour and all look pretty good. on a iMac Pro 2017 w/32Gb and Radeon Pro VEGA 56 8Gb. just get a bit choppy with all setting on high (but I’m fine with lower settings).

The one issue I have though is resolution. When I use the Wine client, I’m running in widowed mode with a resolution of for example 2361x1239 and no UI-scaling. The Mac client on the same screen requires 4228x2512 and I have to set UI scaling to 200% otherwise too small to read. This likely slow down performances significantly. Note that I have my display settings to scaled (not default), maybe this is not taken into account?

Native Mac Client

WINE client

Display Preferences

1 Like

No, I didn’t bug report, I did’t think it was a bug, but I’ll do that.

More specs: 16Gb RAM, stock intel gpu, dual 29" 4k monitors (it’s not a gaming setup, it’s a work setup)

(Sorry for the wall of pictures)
Thanks for the reply - the reason I suggested submitting it to CCP as a bug is it allow them a better capture of your systems set up so they can attempt to duplicate the issue. From my own trial, I would say the issue has to do with the fact that the iGPU just sucks.
2018 Mac mini i7 - 32gb ram - eGPU 580

Top image is Intel - bottom is my eGPU 580. you can tell the difference in the font fuzziness quick.

iGPU low settings

eGPU low settings

eGPU max settings

And for reference M1 MBP 16GB of ram
Low - High settings

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:
We wouldn’t be able to make this available on TQ right now, as there are a number of features not implemented (even though they may not be obvious in this test).
I’m glad it’s working well for you in this test and we look forward to bring it to everyone as soon as we can.

Thank you. Great feedback. We have all of these as points of investigation :slight_smile:

Thanks for this. I didn’t manage to reproduce it with wired headphones / internal speakers, but I certainly got some weirdness with a Bluetooth headset. As soon as I adjusted the volume using the keyboard, the audio started working in the client. It would be interesting to hear if it helps on your side :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. The alignment issue is an interesting one and something I’m keen to try and replicate. Does it always happen for you?

Great feedback! Thanks you. :slight_smile: