Need Bigger Ship for L4

And I was answering to Zildjan, not Matrice. Next time use you brains, not spinal cord like

2 Likes

who was answering to matrice, so in the context of ALPHA player.

Hence your post was completely useless.

Just a general reply. MWD vs MJD. Every ship has a “signature”, which is an invisible bubble surrounding the ship. Anything which shoots at you and hits that bubble, hits your ship and does damage. A MWD makes your signature bigger while it’s running. The bigger your signature, the easier you are to hit and the more damage you take. A MJD does not have that effect on your signature, but an MJD will only move your ship a fixed distance and only in a straight line, plus MJD’s have a cooldown before they can be used again.

An MJD will get you out of danger much faster than an MWD can, but the MJD has limits on how far it will move you and how soon before you can use it again. If you are going to fit an MJD, also consider an afterburner for general movement around the mission area or accept crawling around at slow speed.

I’m not saying you should never use an MWD for missions, they do have their uses, but they won’t get you out of a hot situation as quickly as an MJD will. I have a T1 Dominix fitted for L4 missions and it has a MWD, but I have the skills to fit a fairly solid tank so I can handle taking some damage while the MWD is building up speed. On a ship that doesn’t have as much tank to cope with that, an MJD is the better choice.

oO

IIRC, it does.

I think that mwd on agile ships are much better than MJD to remain out of harm. They allow you to dictate the range, while MJD allow you only to get off/in. It’s much easier to remain within 60km of those battleships with a MWD than with a MJD.

However the mwd don’t work even if you are just webbed, until you take care of the webber. That’s why have acolytes(best tracking) + grappler helps a lot.

1 Like

You do recall correctly, as it does, an MJD gets a signature radius ‘bonus’ of 150% (bonus is in quotes because it’s really a negative effect).

Having said that, the MWDs get a ~500% (depends on type) sig ‘bonus’, so it’s not as bad… but all that being said, you’re still in a battleship, which has a massive sig compared to most everything else not a capital.

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

That was a nice explanation, thank-you.

The common exception are Heavy Assault Cruisers (and Assault Frigates). Roughly, a MWD bloom is five fold for s roughly five fold increase in speed. Speed makes you harder to hit because of high traversal, signature makes you easier to hit and they normally balance out.
Except that normally you are using the MWD to change range quickly - low traversal - so you loose a lot of the advantages of speed.

HACs have half the sig.bloom of a normal hull. You can exploit that to either reposition taking minimal damage or to speed tank damage. Helped significantly since most HACs can be cap stable running a 50MN MWD, and you have an Assault Damage Control to reinforce you while at low traversal.

It takes a bit of knowledge and understanding to fly a HAC in a Level 4 mission, but it’s good fun way of doing them. I’ve not raised HACs in the discussion as it requires an Omega Clone and they’re typically 350-500m ISK fitted.

Yeah. Except in anti-empire missions. Been scrammed there. Lucky me I don’t use mwd :stuck_out_tongue:

Also if I ever had to use mjd I would likely die by the time it cycles… missions I do tend to have a bit of dps ‘issue’.

a 500% increase is a *6 increase.

1 Like

@ERG Your Praxis build is 1B because some mudle are literaly 300M+ (Gist mudles to be more precise). Can I use ANYTHING else to be as viable and reducing the cost?

[Praxis, L3 alpha]

Ballistic Control System II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Dread Guristas Co-Processor
Missile Guidance Enhancer II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II

Gist X-Type 100MN Afterburner
Dark Blood Heavy Capacitor Booster, Navy Cap Booster 800
Missile Guidance Computer II
Gist X-Type X-Large Shield Booster
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Astro-Inertial Compact Missile Guidance Computer

Rapid Heavy Missile Launcher II, Nova Fury Heavy Missile
Drone Link Augmentor I

Large Polycarbon Engine Housing II
Large Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer II
Large Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer II

Federation Navy Ogre x4

An interesting aspect of EVE is that lower skills can be compensated by using blingy modules, but then the consideration of “flying what you can afford to lose” comes back into play. Also, if in high sec, the risk of ganking should be evaluated.

If you can’t afford to lose such a ship yet, you can downgrade the blingy mods in the previous Praxis build, at reduced performance, or you can fly another intermediate ship till then, and sell it off when you can afford to upgrade. The Dominix as an example comes in at around 200mil isk with a decent build, and can output a respectable 400-700 dps with just heavy drones alone. Add in turrets and it can push around 800 dps, have 75k+ ehp, and 100+hp/s reps, depending on skills+fit+implants. Not bad for a “cheap” ship, of which you could buy multiple compared to a single blingy vessel. And if fleeting with other battleships, among its additional attributes, the Dominix has decent speed, can act as fleet support if fitted with remote reps, and can be fitted for PvP later on as a brutal neut domi.

You can start here
[Praxis, L4 RHML alpha]

Co-Processor II
Pro-Nav Compact Missile Guidance Enhancer
Damage Control II

Pith X-Type Explosive Deflection Field
100MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner
Heavy Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I, Navy Cap Booster 800
Pith B-Type Large Shield Booster
Dread Guristas Kinetic Deflection Field
Missile Guidance Computer II, Missile Precision Script

Drone Link Augmentor I

Large Processor Overclocking Unit I
Large Hydraulic Bay Thrusters I
Large Hydraulic Bay Thrusters I

Republic Fleet Berserker x4
Valkyrie II x5
Warrior II x5

and bling it as you get ISK. DPS is lower, tank as well, but still reasonable for L3 / (L4 in goups), IMHO. Fit posted in anti - angel setup. You have to change hardeners / ammo / drones according to mission

Matrice,
You could continue to use your Gnosis. I used to use mine to run most L4 missions alone before the ban came in. You would use a kiting setup and can get around 750dps out of it as an alpha with T2 Hybrids. I used to run L4s in a Domi but deliberately tried the Gnosis to see what it could achieve and I was very pleased with it. It will L4s quicker than a VNI and slightly slower than a Gila. It was a lot more fun running L4s in a Gnosis than a Domi. As you are running L4s with friends your dps and tank are less important as things will die real quick.

You are losing quite a bit of dps by armour tanking so if possible I would switch to a shield tank.
My setup was along these lines:

Magnetic Stabilizer II
Magnetic Stabilizer II
Magnetic Stabilizer II

F-90 sensor booster
Large Capacitor Battery
10MN Monopropellant Afterburner
2xDread Guristas Shield Hardeners (rat specific) or Pith C-Types
Pith C-Type Medium Shield Booster

5x250mm Railgun II
1 Drone Link

Medium Capacitor Circuit I
Medium Capacitor Circuit II
Medium Processor Overclocking Unit I

Drones to suit rats.

(I also have a few implants to help with capacitor and hybrid dps.)

It used to be lots of fun diving into the middle of a bunch of Battleships and blowing them away with short range ammo while they struggled to hit me. You just need to kill all frigs and stasis towers asap, don’t get too close to groups of cruisers and get as close as possible to BS to kill them quick with short range high dps ammo. Angels Extravaganza used to take around 35mins with this setup (minus bonus level). A few missions were not possible with this setup eg Smash the supplier. This kind of setup teaches you a lot about how to fly ships.

Of BS the Domi used to be good but lost a lot of dps when it lost its turret bonus, the Praxis is not bad but is very slow, though it can output a decent dps using a similar style of setup to above.

I quite miss running L4s in my Gnosis. I even ran the Gallente Epic Arc in one to see if it was possible and was pleasantly surprised at how well it did, including completing Showtime without a warp out. All round the Gnosis became one of my favourite ships for playing as an alpha.

Whatever you decide, have fun.

I would recommend a Raven for level 4 mission. Using cruise missiles is a bit better than guns I think in the missions.

Also try not to rely too heavily on drones.

So he’s a Gallente Alpha player which means he’s not likely to have good skills in Caldari BS or Cruise Missiles.

Also there is no inherent advantage to cruise missiles over guns. Guns are absolutely fine for missions, you just have to understand tracking. Drones can be a little fragile but you just need to know when to pull them.

Less strict range limits. I can be at 30km or 170km and still do the same damage.

not with low skills.

I think best missiles for alpha is RHML and thus best ship is barghest. It has the range, speed, and tank to handle L4s ; and its damage bonus maks it quite better than a raven(also the passive buffer makes it no afraid of close range from pirats BS)

2 Likes

alpha can use faction battleships? A barghest is so expensive I wouldn’t even recommend it to an omega pilot…would take months to get that isk back.

I have several barghest, for several missions (all with hyper T2 rigs though)

You can do 60M/h I think(not sure) with an alpha account doing L3s, so that’s 20h of farming (for a 1b2 fit)

However the ease of use, all the bonus it provides over let’s say a raven, definitely make this ship worth flying. Yes it’s very expensive, what about you go farm them in NPC mordus ?

Definitely not true. I barely make 20 mil an hour in my raven navy max dps and implants. This is hisec remember.

then I suggest you think of why you make so little money.

with a rail proteus, fit cloack and nullified (so very low DPS - I just noted the time to make the missions in null sec), assuming 3k isk/LP (doable in HS) and a 0.6 system, I had the numbers for L3 missions :

• cargo delivery 61M/h
  • retribution, the spy stash 78M/h
  • serpentis extravaganza, smuggler interception, silence the informant, unauthrorized military prseenc : 43, 43, 49, 45 M/h

If you only make 20M/h then I’m afraid you are not actually even trying.

1 Like