Need Hardware Advise - Can GT 1030 handle 60 FPS @ FULL HD?

Dear Capsuleers,
I am thinking of upgrading my laptop with iGPU to something more convinient - howeve my budget is tight.
I am thinking of following combination - Goal is to play on FULL HD / 60 FPS - eve online, i am not a gamer so eve is what i will be playing. So please let me know if my suggested setups meet the goal or not.
First setup Intel Core i7 - 4790 - thats 4 cores with HT at 4GHz, 8 MB SmartCache paired with Nvidia Geforce GT 1030.
Second Setup Intel Core i5 2500 - 4 cores at 3.6 GHz paired with Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 TI.
I would save a little with that GT 1030 option so that one is preferable, if it can deliver 60 FPS in Eve on FULL HD.
Your help is highly appreciated.

1 Like

Hi, probably get an answer to your question in the sub-forum Eve Technology And Research Center.

The 1030 will play this game easily at 60fps in 1920x1080. Dare I say you can go all the way up to 3840x2160, because EVE really isn’t that demanding on the GPU. The 4th gen CPU is fine too, and what I use as well. EVE uses at most two threads, from what I’ve gathered. One for stuff, the other for audio, so you’d be perfectly fine.

A 1050, let alone a Ti, is absolute overkill for EVE. You could play it on a Ryzen 3 APU perfectly fine, so the 1030 will serve you for quite a while.

2 Likes

The game uses more than two threads, but most of them don’t run in parallel or at least not all at the same time. i5 and i7 are more than fine.

For a comparison, I run two clients on an AMD FX8350 and an Nvidia GTX960. It’s an older CPU with 8 cores and DDR3 memory, and yet when I minimize the windows does it not use more than one core with the other seven going idle and into power-saving mode. Only when the windows are open and the graphics are actively being rendered does the CPU usage go up to 25%. This is an indication for how much the CPU is involved in rendering the graphics.

I recommend the i5 paired with the GTX 1050Ti, and not just for EVE but any game. Pairing an i7 with a 1030 is quite out of balance for most games.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.