Laptop performance question

Hey all,

Thinking about returning, but, in order to do so, I need a laptop.
Desktop is no option.

Now, I did try EVE yesterday on my girlfriends Asus ROG laptop, and I figured EVE would run flawless on it.
Now to an extent it did, but at 27-32 FPS in the new player start area at all High settings, windowed or fullscreen.

What that laptop has, is:
i5-7300HQ
8Gb DDR Ram 2133mHz
GTX1050 4Gb
Windows 10 64b
1TB HD + 128Gb SSD

I assumed that would be easily sufficient, but for my purchase I am hoping to crank more FPS out of EVE.

What should I look at in this case? i7-7700HQ? More RAM? 1050ti?
My aim is to run max 2 clients at once.
NOTE: I am not planning on spending 2k on a laptop, considering it’s for light gaming.

Or perhaps her laptop needs some tweaking, since I was amazed that EVE didnt break 30 fps easily.

Any feedback is welcome.

To follow up my above post, what happens in this link confuses me further:

GTX 1050 Ti - i5 2500k - 1080p - running at 100ish FPS.

Surely her laptop specs should be able to reach 80ish FPS easily?

You may have been experiencing the performance issues associated with CCP’s new chat system when you tried EVE on the GF’s laptop. Here’s a Reddit thread showing the frames per second of someone sitting in Jita as the local chat box fills up with people (after the daily downtime).

EDIT: Otherwise, yeah, the specs should handle EVE easily, in theory.

1 Like

I thought something else was causing this behaviour.

I will try again tonight, and see whats up.
Thank you for that link, shall consume it in a couple :stuck_out_tongue:

Well then you don’t really mean it, do you?

:wink:

2 Likes

It’s pretty hard not to tell you to sort out whatever is the problem and get a proper computer.

That said I also don’t think your hardware is necessarily the problem. Most people’s computers run at a fraction of their potential due to insane amounts of background processes competing for attention and conflicting with each other / whatever you’re trying to actually use.

Talking purely hardware a bit more ram wouldn’t hurt. Your GPU performance is going to be influenced a fair bit by the cooling design of the laptop. It’s not a bad spec by any stretch but I could understand why it might not hit 80+fps with EvE these days. You could probably turn down a couple of settings you’d hardly notice and get loads smoother.

I just fixed the same issue after It almost completely drove me mad. I tried literally everything EvE/Windows-wise and eventually decided to try and see what it would do without any graphic driver installed, as it used to work perfectly before.

note: I had already re-installed the latest driver twice)

In my case with one client it would display max 30FPS and with two-or more clients 30FPS on the active window and 1FPS on the inactive window(s), even with everything on low. This made multi-boxing nearly unworkable & extremely annoying… Also Task Manager would show 100% GPU usage with just one client active.

When I played EvE without any graphics driver installed my FPS was back to normal; 200+ with Vsync turned off at max graphics.

I then installed an older driver version and it is finally fixed! GPU usage is still higher than it used to be, but with 73% and 2-3 clients running it is acceptable.

My specifications:
I7-4790K
MSI GTX970 4GB
16GB DDR3-1600
+Eve on SSD

Driver I had installed: NVIDIA Graphics Driver (397.31, latest one as I’m writing this)
Driver I have now : NVIDIA Graphics Driver (390.65)

So, to sum it up, de-install your driver; check if it is okay; then install an older driver and start enjoying EvE again at 60+ FPS.

Edit: I just noticed EvE is still on DX9, which is one of the things I tried that didn’t work. Still have to test it on DX11 with this driver, but I assume it will still be fine; I’ll report back :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.