Need help with a project on MMORPGs

Hello!
I am a PhD student at the University of Barcelona looking for participants for a research project about virtual identity. To summarize, we are studying how different people create different types of characters in MMORPGs, and how these relate to their personal identity.

We are looking for MMORPG players who are interested in participating by completing a brief survey and answering some questions in a follow-up online interview. If you have any inquiries regarding the study, I will be happy to explain.

If you are interested in participating, you can start by completing the survey here

2 Likes

FYI, the last time something like this was posted to the forums w/o compensation, people filled the student’s survey with repeated garbage entries.

Who is funding your research?

Also please show your GDPR disclosure as well as funding.

Gmail email contact for a University research? I don’t think so.

What’s your OpenPGP public key?

I could not get a grant for my PhD so I sadly have no funds (otherwise I would be able to afford economic compensation)

All the information regarding participants privacy is listed in the informed consent form, wich can be read before entering any information. The survey is done through Qualtrics, a very widespread and trusted platform for reasearch.

“Qualtrics is an American experience management company, with co-headquarters in Seattle, Washington, and Provo, Utah, in the United States.” See Qualtrics - Wikipedia

Data stored in the US I presume.

Believe me, I wish I could offer economic compensation, not only it would make it way easier to find people, but it’s also fair in my opinion. I just lack the means to do so.

That information can be found on Qualtrics’ own website, where they explain it better than I could.

For those curious https://www.qualtrics.com/privacy-statement/

1 Like

Will the results of this research be public or private?

Any embargo?

Pretty sure nobody but you gives a rat’s ass about it.

Mr Epeen :sunglasses:

1 Like

No worries. I just wanted to give you a heads up, lest you be surprised by weird, nonsensical, or counterintuitive results.

A paper will be published with the results, although it will not include any data regarding specific participants. Additionally, every participant who wants to will receive a report with their results, which of course will be shared exclusively with them (although it will also not include personal information, just their results regarding our hypotheses).

Edit: I don’t have information about embargo since that is usually the journal’s specific policies and we do not know yet in which one we will publish it.

What different type people are you talking about? This forum is for people who like sci-fi games. What profiles do you have in mind?
What type of mmorpg is it?
Why even do this survey in the first place?

I presume this “research” will not just be using Eve but other MMO’s too?

Thanks for the heads up!

Given the nature of the study’s second stage it is unlikely to affect my data, since it would be identifiable, but I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Of course, any MMO will do

One of the survey’s questions is precisely in order to take into account the specific mmorpg, since they can vary a lot in mechanics and setting, but I am looking for any mmorpg players.

The survey is to gather data using some tests, as well as other information (for example, the specific mmorpg participants play)

How will that data be used?

We will perform a series of statistical analyses using all the data to assess our hypotheses. No personal data will be reported, and participants can demand their data to be removed if they wish to.

In the informed consent form there is more detailed information about data confidentiality, which can be accessed and downloaded in pdf before introducing any data in the survey.

(Sorry, I posted this earlier but forgot to do it as a reply)

Why not just ask the questions here?
It would be interesting to see without needing to so off the forum.

/edit go off the forum