Need Help

Most of the Eve playerbase, when using the word “gank”, will immediately think solely of the specific PVP that is “high-sec suicide ganking”. This stems from the game’s first 15 years of gameplay pre-Crimewatch and pre-Wardec overhauls. There were rich and diverse forms of high-sec PVP allowed without CONCORD intervention and so people wanted a term specifically for the “with CONCORD intervention suicide ganking high sec PVP” plus the “the timers are confusing and I am an idiot and I engaged a successful suspect-baiter who is now up-shipping to blow my unprepared butt up”. The latter no longer really exists these days.

So CONCORD-less High-Sec, Lowsec, WH, and Nullsec PVP all was just “PVP” and it was considered foolish to “think yourself ganked” in those areas of space because… this is Eve. You should always be prepared to be shot and fight back. Even when you’re staring at a suspect-baiter in High Sec who stole from your MTU.

People are free to use the word “gank” however they want in whatever intended manner they want but must take responsibility for any ensuing confusion for going against 15+ years of colloquial, historic, and culturally understood usage of the term.

2 Likes