Nerf Ganking Megathread

Gankers aren’t psychopaths. The closest to a psychopath I’ve ever encountered was the CEO of a small sales company.

I’m sure there are a few people with personality disorders playing eve but if your going to find a psychopath I’d probably start by looking amongst senior leadership in the large alliances. They tend to have pretty big personalities.

I don’t even think the toxic elements of the games are psychopaths. Toxic gamers have more akin with Twitter trolls. The kind of people that will say almost anything to get a rise on the internet when safely behind an avatar/handle but would comparatively moderate themselves quite seriously in the real world.

I agree though, ganking isn’t a solution to botting. The trolls saying ‘but you can always hire a ganker to take care of them’ are just being trolls.

If I was going to hire someone to take care of them it would be a mercenary outfit like black flag but it wouldn’t be sustainable. I would need to bot to maintain the isk income to hire mercs to shut down just one botter.

Nope. Before they were all npc corp. Now they are in corp without structure. At best you can hire mercs to kill an athanor (owned by 1 man corp) if this is moon ore botting fleet, but they are botting and so they will pay mercs more if they would care and thats about it. Or deny mercs content in another way.

The mercs aren’t above suicide ganking either. It’s just they already have a reputation as mercs they trade on that reputation to get people to take out war decking contracts.

It’s not that they are going to do anything different to the gankers it’s that they are more of a known quantity.

It is, beyond any shadow of a doubt, good for the game. In fact it is absolutely essential. Ganking prevents highsec becoming boring. It forces people to learn to fit their ships properly. It is a major exit point for ISK from the game…without which the economy would die. And ironically, the stuff destroyed by gankers is a large part of the source of demand for materials that ganked miners mine for.

In short, Eve is an ecosystem. It contains a balance of predators and prey. And we all know that predators are actually essential to that system…and that bleating over the loss of Bambi is to fail to see that essential relationship.

1 Like

Bambi’s mother was killed by this analogy’s CCP, as were that ecosystem’s actual natural predators

1 Like

Ganking is no more good for the game than people losing their ships to any other kind of pvp hell even losing a ship to pve forces you to fit your ships better and fuels the builders economy. So in this respect ganking is a neutral in comparison to other play styles.

Also better is subjective. Ganking applies pressure for people to fit their ships with more tank, it doesn’t force people to fit their ships optimally for the task they are doing. Arguably applying more tank is also a false economy because gankers will just bring enough catalysts to get the job done. If anything the influence of ganking is to convince people to fit cheaply so from the perspective of people trying to sell DED modules it’s harming their business when people who might DED fit a marauder fit it with T2 instead.

There are multiple views on it but ganking is just a play style amongst others that feeds into the sandbox environment. Is it more positive than any others? Probably not. Is it more negative than others? Probably not. Is it good for the game that gankers are playing the game as opposed to not playing the game. Well of course, but that’s not really what we are discussing here.

Lol…straight out of the Jesse James book of favourite sayings.

2 Likes

A lot of people like to equate me with this other person. Personally I’ve disagreed with a lot of his tacks. However this dismissive tack instead of actually responding to the points made doesn’t exactly mean much either.

This isn’t a public opinion poll, we’re not debating and campaigning to get in to the CSM or become the minister for anything. We’re just in a forum talking about an aspect of a game we both play. Charachter assassinations don’t really serve a hell of a lot of purpose here.

I like your position on ganking. Seems on the whole better for the game than ship spinning.

1 Like

Do be careful or people will start assassinating your character and calling you a JJ alt too.

Yes the goal is ultimately to get people out into space. I know too many people clinging to the game but too apathetic to actually undock. Mostly since fan fest.

1 Like

Fortunately I have zero pride :wink:

2 Likes

You are every bit as evasive as JJ, and like him you spew entire paragraphs that don’t really mean anything…rather than actually commit to a position. It’s the exact same ’ I’m not saying its aliens…but its aliens’ method he uses…whether you are him or not. Attempting to appear noncommital whilst at the same time making assertions…its the same old ‘I’m not saying ganking is bad…but…’

Its all a bit like that old Buster Keaton movie where he attempts to charge down the middle with a flag that has both sides colours on it.

2 Likes

When a position is challenged you immediately divert the conversation with this whole JJ comparison and I’m the one that can’t commit to a position? Very amusing.

My position has remained the same through out. Here let me break it down with less words for you to parse.

-Toxic elements within the ganking community are bad for the game.
-Salt mining = bullying in my opinion.
-Ganking isn’t inherently bad or good for the game it’s just a play style amongst many.
-I personally find ganking and all high sec play styles low risk and think it’s absurd gankers call other high sec people Care Bears.
-Saying GF isn’t automatically good manners and in many cases is just disengenuous.
-Ganking doesn’t need a nerf.
-The game needs some overhauls that inspire more people to leave exclusively high sec low risk play styles and join the wider more dynamic elements of the game.
-Botting is bad for the game.

Simple enough for you? None of these opinions have changed throughout the thread.

But you are not using less words. You are just posting a whole series of often contradictory statements and posing it all as a position. It’s just the same old ‘I don’t have a problem with ganking…but actually I do’ that we’ve seen all along.

1 Like

Tell me where in there I have a problem with ganking specifically? Or point out where these points contradict eachother?

I have a problem with toxicity. I personally don’t like low risk play styles but that is just me.

I think high sec is stagnant and needs to change sure. That is not the same with having a problem with ganking.

Again this thread is not should ganking be removed from the game or does ganking harm the game. We’ve strayed onto those topics sure. This thread is does ganking need a nerf, i’ve consistently said no.

Ganking isn’t the problem, it’s not ‘a’ problem. It’s just an emergeant playstyle.

The point I’ve made throughout is that high sec needs to change. The stagnant nature of high sec is what is causing all this tension between different areas of the player base.

I once had someone figure out my real life name through a method that I won’t discuss (even if I did take steps to ensure that it won’t happen again). Now, he did not explicitly make a threat, but the fact he took the time to figure it out, and then decided to mention it to me was sufficiently disconcerting in and of itself.

Now, I could have blocked him after he said this, but I still have the knowledge that a whack job cares enough to find out who I am. And, that was probably the intent. Without making a explicit threat, he left me wondering if he’s going to dox me, swat me, call up my work and try to get me fired, or something else equally ■■■■■■ up (p.s. all of this is stuff that people have done to gamers and/or Eve players. In fact, most recently, people have tried getting Brisc Rubal fired because he didn’t condemn the Mitanni)? So, how is blocking him at this point going to undo the psychological unease that he put me in?

TLDR: The block button can create an obstacle that dissuades less dedicated assholes from pestering you, but it is most certainly not a solution to online harassment.

2 Likes

Genuinely sorry you had to go through that. This is why we can’t have nice things.

I would be maybe asking questions of CCP/the forums about how they got your real name. That sounds like somewhere there has been a pretty serious breach of GDPR with regards to your personal details

I dispute this. I do sometimes play true solo (no multiboxing, no friends) on alpha alts. And while friends, SP, alts and all that do offer advantages, they are by no means required.

I can agree with pretty much everything you wrote here.

This however raises a significant question. Why are you opposing gankers in this and other threads?

Hmmm… :thinking:

3 Likes